Gregor Buchanan and the other Ross Stewart Sign

If I'm being honest, neither signing really excites me. The platform for our success over the second half of last year IMO were the players Jack brought in with experience of playing at a better level than the Championship (McGinn, Eckersley, Loy, Stelios, Smith & Davis) and when you add the two Rae brought to the club (GMac and Irvine) that allowed Malian, Baird, Morgan and Magennis to flourish.

Not saying the boys won't be decent players but I was hoping for an experienced CB to play beside McKenzie and someone with a proven track record of bagging goals at this level.

Maybe still to come?

It's only May. Many players are on holiday. The transfer window does not open until 1st July. No need to panic.

Another point that was raised on P&B is that the income of most clubs in the Championship will be significantly down this season with most introducing lower player budgets. We have lost Hibs and Ayr to be replaced with Inverness and Brechin. Could potentially lose Dundee Utd to be replaced by Hamilton and while Raith did not bring a huge support it was a damn sight better that what Livi will bring. This will be the lowest supported Championship in years.

Edited by Sonny

For those having a wee gripe about the signings being untried etc, there are barely any premier league clubs who have announced who isn't being retained yet so we're in this market until these guys become available....  have a wee look down the road. Morton are on the verge of singing Gary Harkins. 

Is that the route we'd prefer to go back down? I know its not what I'd like. 

I like the Buchanan signing.

Not for any other reason other than, due to our vastly superior budget, we can waltz in and take their best player whenever we like.

Just like we did with Agnew.

Let's hope this will lead to us finishing on more points than them this season.

10 hours ago, DLBud said:

If I'm being honest, neither signing really excites me. The platform for our success over the second half of last year IMO were the players Jack brought in with experience of playing at a better level than the Championship (McGinn, Eckersley, Loy, Stelios, Smith & Davis) and when you add the two Rae brought to the club (GMac and Irvine) that allowed Malian, Baird, Morgan and Magennis to flourish.

Not saying the boys won't be decent players but I was hoping for an experienced CB to play beside McKenzie and someone with a proven track record of bagging goals at this level.

Maybe still to come?

Agreed, never has there been such delirious optimism around players all stepping up from part-time football with Albion Rovers, Dumbarton and Alloa or U20 football. The last manager to go down that type of young players stepping up (more from U20 development teams) was Ian Murray.

Agreed, never has there been such delirious optimism around players all stepping up from part-time football with Albion Rovers, Dumbarton and Alloa or U20 football. The last manager to go down that type of young players stepping up (more from U20 development teams) was Ian Murray.

We will sign a full time player any minute now.

22 hours ago, TediousTom said:

We absolutely trust the judgement of oor Jack Ross.

Hell's bells if Jack was to sign Rolf Harris to play at left back we would give him our backing if not our children to supervise.  

Although if he played at right back........

I feel sorry for you, sorry you dont have the decency to delete this.

Just now, TopCat said:

We will sign a full time player any minute now.

I won't claim to know too much about any of our signings so far. Jack Ross did well enough in the January window to suggest he can spot good prospects at our level. If we are wanting to challenge for the Championship title and get promoted to the SPL over the next few seasons here's hoping that Jack Ross has a few quality Stephen McGinn / Adam Eckersley / Harry Davis type signings to join the young part timers stepping up.

8 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

It is a huge and probably unecessary gamble. If they work out, great. Are they championship winning material though? That is the target Ross has set, win the league, or the play offs.

For those having a wee gripe about the signings being untried etc, there are barely any premier league clubs who have announced who isn't being retained yet so we're in this market until these guys become available....  have a wee look down the road. Morton are on the verge of singing Gary Harkins. 
Is that the route we'd prefer to go back down? I know its not what I'd like. 

Out of curiosity, why would they be 'singing' about Gary Harkins ? :P

But as you say, the 'signings' so far are not too bad.

I think the difference is that we are signing players from teams who are absolutely gutted these players are leaving, and believe they deserve the chance to step up. We've not just went and picked up half of Cowdenbeath's first team squad.

We have struggled with having players in depth for many seasons. If we have a first 11 with quality experienced professional, mixed with a our talented young players like Baird, Magennis and Morgan. Whilst having a good squad of players as back up who have performed well at a lower level with a point to prove when called upon, can only be positive. We're not going to have 22 players who are good enough to consistently play in the first team.

Some of these signings will pay off some won't. They won't be on large sums of money and so it is low risk high reward.

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Shocking that we haven't signed a full time player yet. After all, at this point last pre-season we'd signed two full timers in Kyle Hutton AND David Clarkson. 

Get it sorted Jack. :lol:

We've signed Gary MacKenzie and Cammy Smith. Aren't they FT?

Saints fans will know better than any that.. Most players who move from part time to full time can't hack it.

Whether that be Lynch, Gordon, McQuade, Robertson, Gallacher , Bradley, Agnew etc etc.

I guess this is because a quite simple reason. All part time players are part time for a reason. That reason being that they weren't up to being full time players in the first place.

Of course there's the odd diamond in there. Darren McGregor being one, him being the example of one who slipped through the full time scouts net. But they are rare breeds.

As history will tell you, most of our part time signings will be back part time soon enough.

Let's hope that there's a McGregor in there somewhere among the latest lot of part time recruits.

Worth taking a punt!

Not sure there were ever many "Ross haters"

Did I say that there were? There are a few who are still so furious that they were proved wrong who just can't admit it and keep posting in the same vein. It just makes them look even more like the five year old kids who have had major tantrums.