Gregor Buchanan and the other Ross Stewart Sign

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

Saints fans will know better than any that.. Most players who move from part time to full time can't hack it.

Whether that be Lynch, Gordon, McQuade, Robertson, Gallacher , Bradley, Agnew etc etc.

I guess this is because a quite simple reason. All part time players are part time for a reason. That reason being that they weren't up to being full time players in the first place.

Of course there's the odd diamond in there. Darren McGregor being one, him being the example of one who slipped through the full time scouts net. But they are rare breeds.

As history will tell you, most of our part time signings will be back part time soon enough.

Let's hope that there's a McGregor in there somewhere among the latest lot of part time recruits.

Worth taking a punt!

You forgot McGarvey Stark Reid Fitzpatrick McAvenie Yardley Munro Billy Thompson Somner, but that wouldn't fit your agenda would it? 

To be fair, examples of guys from the 70s and 80s coming from part time football aren't really comparable to today's footballing landscape.

However, there's plenty of part time talent in the lower leagues and this has been the case for several years. Because we haven't benefited as extensively as some other clubs in the last few seasons doesn't make that any less true.

To make out that guys who have the ability to step from P/T to F/T successfully are a complete rarity, is simply not true.

Not so long ago, I remember Cowdenbeath having Morgaro Gomis, Darren McGregor, Kane Hemmings and Greg Stewart all in their side and all have gone on to have very good full time careers.

Queens Park have also had several talents who have made the step up with relative ease.

I will never judge any of our signings until they get a run in the team next season. If a couple don't work out then that's football but I look forward to seeing what these guys have to offer with optimism and giving them my 100% support every time they pull on the shirt.

Some of them I have never seen but Jack Ross has worked with them and feels that they are worth signing and will add to the team or the squad. If part time players are never given a chance of full time football how can you ever tell if they can make the grade. They must all have something about them for us to sign them. Whether that be potential, ability or character.

Not one manager has ever had a 100% record of successful signings in the history of football so all anyone can hope for is that more of them than not are successful.

I can think of one other strong parallel to the 80s which is Peter Godfrey who at 27 came straight into the team from Meadowbank Thistle.  He immediately looked at home and was really unlucky to be injured for the 87 cup final.  Now if Gregor Buchanan is a painter-decorator like Basil was we are onto a good thing.

Buchanan I think will be a good signing by all accounts a standout in defence for Dumbarton who I would remind everyone we failed to beat in four attempts last season he is at good age at 27 and has solid experience behind him you can rest assured that he wasn't signed to sit on the bench.

He may sit on the bench to start with though as I'm sure Jack Baird has earned the right to start alongside McKenzie.

I thought we'd be looking at someone with a better pedigree than Buchanan but let's see what else unfolds.

People seem to be forgetting that it makes sense for some players to remain part time.

There is likely to be a crop of decent players who want to continue to work in their routine day jobs - due to it making sense financially, and/or the fact that they want to keep a hand in to progress in that line of work.

The striker McAllister (?) at Peterhead is one example. I imagine there are others.

In any event, who is to say these lads won't make the step up? I think we ought to at least wait until we've seen them play a few times before passing judgement.

Think so far we've signed players we that were immediately inclined to join us. Jack Ross is now pretty much at the stage he has to aim to persuade players to sign for the club ahead of other offers they have. We have to be patient and see what he achieves. Positive that he said a few weeks ago that plasters were contacting him to say they wanted to join St Mirren. We'll see.

49 minutes ago, Drew said:

People seem to be forgetting that it makes sense for some players to remain part time.

There is likely to be a crop of decent players who want to continue to work in their routine day jobs - due to it making sense financially, and/or the fact that they want to keep a hand in to progress in that line of work.

The striker McAllister (?) at Peterhead is one example. I imagine there are others.

In any event, who is to say these lads won't make the step up? I think we ought to at least wait until we've seen them play a few times before passing judgement.

I'm not passing judgement prematurely Drew but I am concerned we may be going down the same route IM and DL did. This will only be a problem if Jack and Jim have picked the wrong players.. This is why I said I hope we have a "Fergie" type as our manager. Not overly concerned but cautious nonetheless.

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

I'm not passing judgement prematurely Drew but I am concerned we may be going down the same route IM and DL did. This will only be a problem if Jack and Jim have picked the wrong players.. This is why I said I hope we have a "Fergie" type as our manager. Not overly concerned but cautious nonetheless.

Agnew is the only part-time/old club player I can think of Murray signing - although he did re-sign Alan Gow.

Edited by Stu

18 hours ago, scottd said:

Not looked in the mirror then?

At no point would I ever class myself as a hater of Jack Ross. I wasn't a fan of Alex Rae's style of football but thought he was fired too early in the season, and when he was fired I thought we should have gone for a more experienced manager as well. I also never have subscribed to the school of thought that the squad assembled last summer was so bad that it was unrealistic to hope that we could compete with and match the likes of Ayr United, Dumbarton, newly promoted Dunfermline etc. So I will happily admit to being a Jack Ross doubter during the first 3 or 4 months of his tenure, and that doubt was based on results being terrible and our inability to win any key relegation battles before the New Year. 

Even in debate with the likes of Drew I often stated that I hoped Jack Ross would succeed and go on and become a St Mirren manager who kept us up in his first season at the club and then got us back to the SPL after that. And also long before we left the foot of the table I posted saying that after he brought in his own signings that I thought results and performances had improved enough to suggest that even if we had been relegated he was worth standing by as manager in League One.

There is never any harm in fans getting carried away during the close season in a wave of optimism about the following season and it has been good to see us sign up a number of the existing squad on new or longer deals and bring in some new signings early on before the window officially opens as well, but I don't think it does any harm either to ask whether anyone can remember such a feel good factor for the future when to date it looks like we will have a similar defence to last season (which was seen as a weakness for much of the season) and when most of our signings so far have been part-time players. 

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

7 hours ago, David Mc said:

Think so far we've signed players we that were immediately inclined to join us. Jack Ross is now pretty much at the stage he has to aim to persuade players to sign for the club ahead of other offers they have. We have to be patient and see what he achieves. Positive that he said a few weeks ago that plasters were contacting him to say they wanted to join St Mirren. We'll see.

They would be very handy if any minor cuts are introduced in the playing staff. Also i'm sure they will stick to the task and if they could raise some cash in the same way as Band Aid did then we will be okay.

I wouldn't like the blue coloured ones normally used by catering staff though.

Edited by buddiecat

On 28/05/2017 at 0:20 PM, DLBud said:

He may sit on the bench to start with though as I'm sure Jack Baird has earned the right to start alongside McKenzie.

I thought we'd be looking at someone with a better pedigree than Buchanan but let's see what else unfolds.

Buchanan will start before Baird IMO. Baird is cover, nothing more. 1 year contract says it all. Buchanan is a smashing player and will do a real good job for us. Good and typical signing by Jack.

Edited by lenziebud

2 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Buchanan will start before Baird IMO. Baird is cover, nothing more. 1 year contract says it all. Buchanan is a smashing player and will do a real good job for us. Good and typical signing by Jack.

Buchanan is also on a one year contract...

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Buchanan is also on a one year contract...

Ok good point but for me Baird at his age and stage of career should be getting more. If the club valued him highly they would get him on a minimum 2 years.

He is cover for an injured or suspended McKenzie or Buchanan

3 hours ago, lenziebud said:

Ok good point but for me Baird at his age and stage of career should be getting more. If the club valued him highly they would get him on a minimum 2 years.

He is cover for an injured or suspended McKenzie or Buchanan

Was Buchanan not a part time player at the age of 27... next year's Ben Gordon perhaps?

On 2017-5-27 at 9:13 PM, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Not sure there were ever many "Ross haters"

Doubters might be a better word. To honest I think there still a good few of them. 

I did support Jack through that dismal November and December and even in our run in we lost twice to united, lost to Raith, drew with Dumbarton, Dumfermline and Morton. 

Jack is a good manager and a good fit with St Mirren and the fans, but not everything he touches turns to gold

On 26/05/2017 at 11:21 PM, 3 moffat buds said:

For any betting Buddies out there a nag called Peter Leonard is running in the 1625 race at York on Saturday - current odds are 6/1 - so it will be a case of COYS (singular) !

That's a long name for a horse!!

commentators nightmare.

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2