In The Name Of The Wee Man

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:27 PM, saintnextlifetime said:

Another classic is when you are hurtling along at 70mph with a safe distance between you and the car in front tho' the car behind is a wee bit close . Suddenly , a car comes tearing up the inside lane and sees the gap infront of your car - if you don't let him in , he will get cross , possibly because he knows he is planning to conduct an illegal , dangerous manoeuvre . .

If you're not overtaking a car then why are you not in the inside lane?

You're safe distance doesn't mean jack if you're hogging the middle lane...

10 minutes ago, davidg said:

In this case I am overtaking in a line that is doing the legal limit , however a loony who was probably 2 or 3 cars behind has pulled in , accelerated to about a ton so that he can get  3 or 4 cars up the line. .

Per the Highway Code , safe distance is always important , no matter the fact that many violate it. .

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Slightly OT, davidg, but if you've recently "hurtled up" our beloved A9, waiting patiently in a long line behind a truck for the signed and promised dual carriageway "within 2 miles", you'll have been as perplexed as me to find the first couple of duals north of Perth are all coned off for roadworks! And so it's still just a patient single file you're stuck in.

there''s the 60mph overall limit, (50 for heavier commercials,) then a couple of 30mph and 40mph long stretches way before Inverness.

and all monitored by ugly average speed cameras the whole way...

i think it's a cunning plan by the Scottish Tourist people to make everyone slow down and enjoy the scenery... :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Mr Seaweed, have spoken to him a few times at least I think that's who it is. Has done very well for himself. 

That's exactly who it is.There was a feature on him on late night TV last night.

4 hours ago, antrin said:

Slightly OT, davidg, but if you've recently "hurtled up" our beloved A9, waiting patiently in a long line behind a truck for the signed and promised dual carriageway "within 2 miles", you'll have been as perplexed as me to find the first couple of duals north of Perth are all coned off for roadworks! And so it's still just a patient single file you're stuck in.

there''s the 60mph overall limit, (50 for heavier commercials,) then a couple of 30mph and 40mph long stretches way before Inverness.

i think it's a cunning plan by the Scottish Tourist people to make everyone slow down and enjoy the scenery... :rolleyes:

Doing the A9 run on Wednesday morning. Will be in Dornoch for 7am.

Thanks for the heads up, better leave a half hour earlier this time.

4 hours ago, antrin said:

Buckle in. You are going to have around 8 more years of gum bashing before that dualling is complete.

Can't be avoided.

In the meantime the average speed cameras are slowing down the idiots.

Now if they could just ban overtaking, more people on that road would get home in one piece to their familes. Is that not worth a wee bit of a delay?

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Buckle in. You are going to have around 8 more years of gum bashing before that dualling is complete.

Can't be avoided.

Now if they could just ban overtaking, more people on that road would get home in one piece to their familes. Is that not worth a wee bit of a delay?

Over taking is aloud by road markings for sensible responsible drivers. It's the ones who can't read the road in front of them and don't remember the highway code that makes the road dangerous for everyone else. 

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Can't be avoided.

Ban overtaking ? So should we all just sit behind tractors,slow moving trucks,cyclists and parked/abandoned cars. Gridlock.

8 minutes ago, buddiecat said:

Ban overtaking ? So should we all just sit behind tractors,slow moving trucks,cyclists and parked/abandoned cars. Gridlock.

Personally I would ban overtaking unless on the motorway or dual carriageway.

You have to think about the reality of this. People are routinely overtaking on bends, on the brows of hills and when they can SEE another car approaching in the "death lane". I have lost track of the number of near misses I have seen this month alone and we are only 5 days in.

If humans were capable of being reasonable when being the wheel of a car then I would understand but drivers are behaving like entitled animals and therefore need nanny state policing.

Driving a car is a privilege. It is not a human right.

Edited by oaksoft

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You have to think about the reality of this. People are routinely overtaking on bends, on the brows of hills and when they can SEE another car approaching in the "death lane". I have lost track of the number of near misses I have seen this month alone and we are only 5 days in.

If humans were capable of being reasonable when being the wheel of a car then I would understand but drivers are behaving like entitled animals and therefore need nanny state policing.

Ach away and have a word wi' yersel!

49 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Over taking is aloud by road markings for sensible responsible drivers. It's the ones who can't read the road in front of them and don't remember the highway code that makes the road dangerous for everyone else. 

The vast majority of drivers are not responsible drivers.

I don't know how many people need to die on our roads before we start to accept that.

I don't know if it is ego or a lack of self awareness or perhaps even willful denial.

Most drivers either speed, overtake dangerously, drive to close to the car in front or switch off entirely whilst driving.

6 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Ach away and have a word wi' yersel!

Think yourself lucky I am not in a position of power where I can do something about it.

I would enforce it by having mandatory engine governors to prevent speeding and black box recorders. 

Both would be requirements in all roadworthy vehicles punishable by permanent removal of your licence for a breach.

The governor would prevent short bursts of speed and thus essentially deter anyone risking being out in the death lane too long.

This would kill overtaking at a stroke.

Interestingly the technology to do this already exists.

The only thing I am interested in is people going about their business and getting home safely.

I couldn't give two f**ks about anyone wanting to get from A to B five minutes faster.

Edited by oaksoft

31 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Think yourself lucky I am not in a position of power where I can do something about it.

I would enforce it by having mandatory engine governors to prevent speeding and black box recorders. 

Both would be requirements in all roadworthy vehicles punishable by permanent removal of your licence for a breach.

The governor would prevent short bursts of speed and thus essentially deter anyone risking being out in the death lane too long.

The only thing I am interested in is people going about their business and getting home safely.

I couldn't give two f**ks about anyone wanting to get from A to B five minutes faster.

Black Box recorders will be made mandatory in the next couple of years by insurance companies for all drivers.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Firstly, i cannot believe that people are being unreasonable whilst "being the wheel of a car" that's perfectly reaso......... I know it's a typo. Your further comment "the vast majority of drivers are not responsible drivers" can't agree with that, i'd think that if the vast majority were irresponsible then there would be a heck of a lot more accidents. There is without doubt an increasingly large number of drivers acting irresponsibly, but hardly the vast majority.

One particular act of stupidity and dangerous driving which is becoming more frequent is jumping red lights, and i'm referring in particular to the Lonend/bridge street/Gordon street junctions in Paisley.

Forgot to add, banning overtaking on any road is a ridiculous suggestion.

Edited by buddiecat

11 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

In this case I am overtaking in a line that is doing the legal limit , however a loony who was probably 2 or 3 cars behind has pulled in , accelerated to about a ton so that he can get  3 or 4 cars up the line. .

Per the Highway Code , safe distance is always important , no matter the fact that many violate it. .

I'm a wee bit confused here SNL. If you are overtaking how can someone manage to get in front of you in the inside lane? Are the flying over the cars your overtaking?

Edited by stlucifer

Can't see the day where all cars will be driverless too many love to drive cars I will admit to being one of them. Black boxes and on board video should be mandatory and expect it will be. The emergency city breaking system at speeds under 30mph sounds good. However going along Canal Street changing into the filter Lane for turning right my car all of a sudden put the emergency break on when not needed thankfully the car behind did not bang into me. Now I have turned that system off its flawed . 

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Oh this should be good.

1. Who would pay for all those cars to have " engine governors " fitted ?

2. What would you govern ? Road speed ,engine speed , horsepower ? 

3. Prevent short burst of speed ..... safety issues galore with that one. Prepare to get sued for that one your greatness !

4. Permanent removal of licence for a breach ? Really ? What about those wonderful machines you've fitted which may be faulty damaged or otherwise f**ked ? do you want the driver ,owner, operator, mechanic or device manufacturers punished ? Which one would you lock up big brother ?!? 

Youve really not thought this through have you ? 

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

I'm a wee bit confused here SNL. If you are overtaking how can someone manage to get in front of you in the inside lane? Are the flying over the cars your overtaking?

The majority of the M8 is a two lane highway . Go drive along it sometime when it is busy , either on a weekday morning or evening . .then you wont be confused by what I've stated . .:wink: