Airdrie United FC - On The Brink ?

shull

http://www.airdriefc.com/news/2017/06/clubstatement

CLUB STATEMENT 5th June 2017  

The board of Airdrieonians Football Club announce with immediate effect the resignation of Tom Wotherspoon as Chairman and Director of the club.

Tom is giving consideration to his position as majority shareholder but will remain so in the meantime.

Jim Ballantyne will take up the position of Chairman, also with immediate effect.

Tom Wotherspoon issued the following statement:

“When I purchased a controlling interest in the club two years ago, I set several objectives, and, whilst most of these objectives have been achieved, it has come at a significant price. It also presented me with a number of tough challenges which could not have been foreseen and caused great anxiety.

I have also invested a significant six-figure sum over the last two years to ensure the stability of the club whilst remaining competitive on the park. My main business interests are now moving in such a direction that even the limited amount of time I was able to devote to the club last season is diminishing to the extent that I am, sadly, unable to commit to having any involvement whatsoever.

As it is the start of a new season, I have decided to hand the reins back to Jim Ballantyne and would stress that to continue the work that has gone on in the last two years everyone must get behind the club vocally and financially to ensure the future wellbeing of this great football club”.

Jim and Ann Marie Ballantyne will meet with fans representatives over the coming weeks.

23 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

On the brink of what exactly - that statement is announcing a change of chairman !

To be fair it's also announcing that the guy who has put in a six figure sum over the past two years to keep them going is no longer going to put his hand in his pocket.

At best it's going to be a return to part time football there I'd think.

6 hours ago, div said:

To be fair it's also announcing that the guy who has put in a six figure sum over the past two years to keep them going is no longer going to put his hand in his pocket.

At best it's going to be a return to part time football there I'd think.

The Airdrie fans were saying as much when they failed in the play offs.

• 2 weeks later...