Craig Samson

14 hours ago, div said:

Difficult to compare goalkeepers, playing in different Saints teams at different levels but for me Ludo was a far better keeper than Samson.

Paul Gallagher was also better than Sammy in my opinion.

Gallagher for me.

I'm sorry but if this is true I'm far less than Meh. You need to look at recent performances. Not reminisce on past glories. I will be forever in awe of Samson's performances inn the 2013 semi final and final but, unfortunately, he was released by Motherwell because he was very poor.

Motherwell in general were poor, and that was not down to the keeper. Look how Mallan for example came on to his true form when he'd been poor by his standards. That turn in form coincided with new players coming in, getting results and confidence throughout the team.
Personally, I think Samson will be a very good signing.

Funny cause  EVERY TIME i Watched the final i think of Neeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwton, Goncalves, Thommo, Van Zantens last ditch tackle and 17000 Saints fans going daft, AND the commentators saying what a game this is

Not whether Hearts 2nd goal  could have been saved- FFS

Delighted with this signing. Both keepers will get chance to stake their claim over the coming weeks.

In last couple of seasons we had Langfield in goals and he gave me palpitations every time I watched him. We signed O'Brien who was decent for us and a massive step up from Clangers. Now we have signed a cup winning legend who IMO better than both Langfield & O'Brien and that is based on him playing against better opposition and a league above what we currently in.

Will he make mistakes of course he will but fewer than the other two. This is a step in the right direction for me. If the boy from Albion Rovers claims the No. 1 jersey then he would have earned it.

Welcome home Sammy

This is a good signing in different ways. Sammy has been successful previously with the club, so will have an optimistic view of what can be achieved next season. Fits right in with Jack and James' philosophy.

Also, as an experienced keeper he will help the young lad Stewart to improve. Will be interesting to see how much game time each gets.

Only worry is that both keepers are to be coached by Langfield who has committed some howlers in his time. Still, I suppose we can't have everything!

Welcome back, Craig, and Good Luck!

I think this is a good signing that ticks a lot of boxes. I always wanted O'Brien to do well and sign on for another year or two but the money he would have been looking for would have been unfeasible for us. He looked promising but didn't look commanding enough in any game and can see why Jack hasn't followed that one up. Good luck to Billy!

I think Samson will do well for us this season and will be just what our squad needs. He came to us from Ayr when trying to rebuild his career after being released by St Johnstone and did very well. I can see a similar set of circumstances where he is trying to build back up his confidence and reputation after a few ropey years at Killie and Motherwell.

He isn't guaranteed a first team start every week either so he will get pushed and that is good for everyone.

I think we will be the winner with a committed goalkeeper who will win us a good few points this season.

Welcome back to the club Craig.