Craig Samson

Can I just helpfully (pedantically) point out that to the best of my knowledge we've never had any goalkeepers called Billy Thompson or Paul Gallagher.

Not in my considerable lifetime anyway.

Dibble over Thomson for me every time. Thomson was prone to the spectacular, but he also made many a monumental phuk up. Some very high profile ones too.

However, he was my second favourite goalie by a country mile!

3 hours ago, bungle_1981 said:

Samson's penalty save in the LC semi final was a massive moment in the cup run. For that, I will be eternally grateful.

If it wasn't for that save, I doubt we would have got to the final.

That penalty save was the pivotal moment for me.

C*ltic would have gone on to win easily IMO, had they scored that penalty.

I'm pleased we didn't bring back O'Brian. I reckon JR didn't rate him and not difficult to see why.

Can't believe a club like Man City had him on their books.

Hoping the young guy Stewart really takes his chance and can establish himself with Samson a more than able backup.

21 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

I'm pleased we didn't bring back O'Brian. I reckon JR didn't rate him and not difficult to see why.

Can't believe a club like Man City had him on their books.

Hoping the young guy Stewart really takes his chance and can establish himself with Samson a more than able backup.

O'Brien was a good goalkeeper and only 21. Some of his saves were excellent. Samson is a liability. Anything into corners he struggles to save and has had a shocker of a season for motherwell. I hope he plays better for us next season.

Bit of a maverick, never seems to stay around for very long..A decent enough keeper I suppose, and more than capable of doing a job for us.

As far as best Saints keepers are concerned it's Billy Thomson for me,followed by Money.

Years Team Apps (Gls)
2001–2005 Kilmarnock 1 (0)
2004  Queen of the South (loan) 12 (0)
2004  Queen of the South (loan) 0 (0)
2005  St Johnstone (loan) 12 (0)
2005–2006 Dundee United 8 (0)
2006–2007 Ross County 29 (0)
2007–2008 Dundee 31 (0)
2008–2009 Hereford United 11 (0)
2009–2010 Ayr United 32 (0)
2010–2013 St Mirren 87 (0)
2013–2015 Kilmarnock 73 (0)
2015–2017 Motherwell 36 (0)
2017– St Mirren 0 (0

28 minutes ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

Bit of a maverick, never seems to stay around for very long..A decent enough keeper I suppose, and more than capable of doing a job for us.

As far as best Saints keepers are concerned it's Billy Thomson for me,followed by Money.

Years Team Apps (Gls)
2001–2005 Kilmarnock 1 (0)
2004  Queen of the South (loan) 12 (0)
2004  Queen of the South (loan) 0 (0)
2005  St Johnstone (loan) 12 (0)
2005–2006 Dundee United 8 (0)
2006–2007 Ross County 29 (0)
2007–2008 Dundee 31 (0)
2008–2009 Hereford United 11 (0)
2009–2010 Ayr United 32 (0)
2010–2013 St Mirren 87 (0)
2013–2015 Kilmarnock 73 (0)
2015–2017 Motherwell 36 (0)
2017– St Mirren 0 (0

Shite goalscorer :thumbsdown

My recollection is that there was a general feeling on here when Samson left that we'd have been happy for him to stay. Would be interesting to check if that's the case.

Hopefully he'll be another player who will hit his best form under the current management/coaching regime. I see no reason why he would be automatically considered 1st pick, and competition is always healthy.

At his best, Samson is easily good enough for this level of football.

7 minutes ago, Drew said:

My recollection is that there was a general feeling on here when Samson left that we'd have been happy for him to stay. Would be interesting to check if that's the case.

Hopefully he'll be another player who will hit his best form under the current management/coaching regime. I see no reason why he would be automatically considered 1st pick, and competition is always healthy.

At his best, Samson is easily good enough for this level of football.

I'm happy to back any signing Jack and James make , we know there would be a bit of consideration in them.

54 minutes ago, linwood buddie said:

I'm happy to back any signing Jack and James make 

I hear both are interested in bringing back a former striker by the name of Ball. 

I am sure they will get the best out of him. 

13 hours ago, YardleyBoom said:

O'Brien was a good goalkeeper and only 21. Some of his saves were excellent. Samson is a liability. Anything into corners he struggles to save and has had a shocker of a season for motherwell. I hope he plays better for us next season.

You do understand that a goalkeeper needs a defence in front of him? Motherwell's defence last season was horrendous and any goalkeeper would struggle. 

14 hours ago, YardleyBoom said:

Nothing to do with a terrible Motherwell defence then ?