Vinyl Turntables

Drew

Okay, I've fallen for the hype, and intend to buy a turntable in order to play vinyl records, and I'm looking for a wee bit of guidance.

I'm no audiophile, and don't intend to spend daft money. Indeed, I'm looking to go down the 2nd had route with a budget not exceeding £150 - £175 (at a stretch). I don't need any USB compatibility as I don't intend converting vinyl to digital.

I have looked at used Pro-ject Debuts and Rega RP1s, but wondered if I should try and pick up something a bit older that might prove to be better value ultimately?

I will also need to buy a pre-amp in order to connect the turntable to my amp. I'll budget for this separately.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might pick something up (I already have eBay and Gumtree covered), and what I should look out for?

Much appreciated.

Denon do a belt driven one with a built-in pre-amp which you might get for about £130 new. Pioneer might still do one about that price too. You won't get much better than that price wise if you want a new one. Sony and Akai used to do them and might still do but might be good bets for a used one.

I think you are on the right track with the Rega at that budget. The RB 250 arm on the wee Rega is worth £150 if it is in good nick and there are upgrades you can do on it that will turn it into a real giant killer. .

As you probably know , there is high demand in the second hand turntable market . Even a rather tired old LP12 will still fetch around £400. There are a couple of Japanese decks that are popular but they don't have a tone arm to compare to the RB 250. .

1 minute ago, rabuddies said:

Denon do a belt driven one with a built-in pre-amp which you might get for about £130 new. Pioneer might still do one about that price too. You won't get much better than that price wise if you want a new one. Sony and Akai used to do them and might still do but might be good bets for a used one.

Thanks for that.

You hear some horror stories about cheap turntables ruinung the vinyl, but I'm assuming those you mention will be decent quality.

1 minute ago, saintnextlifetime said:

I think you are on the right track with the Rega at that budget. The RB 250 arm on the wee Rega is worth £150 if it is in good nick and there are upgrades you can do on it that will turn it into a real giant killer. .

As you probably know , there is high demand in the second hand turntable market . Even a rather tired old LP12 will still fetch around £400. There are a couple of Japanese decks that are popular but they don't have a tone arm to compare to the RB 250. .

Do you reckon the basic Rega is a good shout, then? They aren't that easy to vome by used right enough.

14 hours ago, Drew said:

Do you reckon the basic Rega is a good shout, then? They aren't that easy to vome by used right enough.

Rega are fabulous value for money Drew . They will get snapped up quickly because oftentimes people want the tone arm to fit to their Gyrodec or whatever as it is a fantastic arm . .

As far as damaging vinyl is concerned , it is well worth buying a balance tool and a protractor to set up your cartridge. The Rega arm is easy to set up but it is worth having the tools and an old test record . .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

Rega are about as good as you get and they do a "budget" model called something like flexion? I had an Akai for about 15 years and it was pretty good (but I left it in the garage while between houses and the damp fecked it). Denon usually get good write ups.

1 hour ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Rega are fabulous value for money Drew . They will get snapped up quickly because oftentimes people want the tone arm to fit to their Gyrodec or whatever as it is a fantastic arm . .

As far as damaging vinyl is concerned , it is well worth buying a balance tool and a protractor to set up your cartridge. The Rega arm is easy to set up but it is worth having the tools and old test record . .

Sound advice there Drew,  Rega & Project entry decks have the best sound on a budget. 

13 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Just had a look on Gumtree a few in your price range look in good condition RP1's 

The problem is finding folk that are willing to post them, Ian

10 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

I'm another advocate of Rega, I've had a Planar 3 for about 20-odd years, has the R200 arm on it. I keep meaning to upgrade to the RB250 but something always seems to crop up.

R200 was a good tonearm in its day but as you probably know , the RB300 and the 250 are better and can be easily fettled . .

I like the Planar 3 , it is a good deck . Rega used to do one whereby the plinth had the Saltire on it. .

19 hours ago, Drew said:

Okay, I've fallen for the hype, and intend to buy a turntable in order to play vinyl records, and I'm looking for a wee bit of guidance.

I'm no audiophile, and don't intend to spend daft money. Indeed, I'm looking to go down the 2nd had route with a budget not exceeding £150 - £175 (at a stretch). I don't need any USB compatibility as I don't intend converting vinyl to digital.

I have looked at used Pro-ject Debuts and Rega RP1s, but wondered if I should try and pick up something a bit older that might prove to be better value ultimately?

I will also need to buy a pre-amp in order to connect the turntable to my amp. I'll budget for this separately.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might pick something up (I already have eBay and Gumtree covered), and what I should look out for?

Much appreciated.

Drew go to HIFI Wigwam it's a forum they have a section 2 channel HIFI for sale. Then go to turntables. Have a look. I noticed a starter turntable wanted. In that thread there a project planner 3 being offered for £100. I have bought tone arm and and most recently an amp for the shop. It's a very safe place to buy. 

• 4 weeks later...

After much deliberation (and a bit of a saga with the process), I have just taken delivery of my new turntable.

I was going to buy a Rega RP1 from Gumtree, then got the offer of something else on the cheap. That fell through, so opted for buying new.

I've gone for a package of Pro-ject Essential iiiA with a separate Pro-ject phono stage pre-amp. Combined deal saved £30 on buying separately.

The turntable is well reviewed. No USB provision, as that doesn't interest me just now. Pretty basic turntable, with nobells and whistles. Again, that suits me.

I'm looking forward to getting home and setting it up. If anyone is interested, I'll do a wee review in the coming days (with the obligatory caveat that I'm no audiophile, so it will be rudimentary stuff).

Many thanks to all for the advice and suggestions.

:)

9 minutes ago, Drew said:

After much deliberation (and a bit of a saga with the process), I have just taken delivery of my new turntable.

I was going to buy a Rega RP1 from Gumtree, then got the offer of something else on the cheap. That fell through, so opted for buying new.

I've gone for a package of Pro-ject Essential iiiA with a separate Pro-ject phono stage pre-amp. Combined deal saved £30 on buying separately.

The turntable is well reviewed. No USB provision, as that doesn't interest me just now. Pretty basic turntable, with nobells and whistles. Again, that suits me.

I'm looking forward to getting home and setting it up. If anyone is interested, I'll do a wee review in the coming days (with the obligatory caveat that I'm no audiophile, so it will be rudimentary stuff).

Want to buy some old records? :P

On 30 June 2017 at 7:40 AM, Drew said:

Happy listening Drew. anti static brush is a good buy as it a needle cleaner will make your needle last longer.

On 30 June 2017 at 3:40 PM, Drew said:

Hope you get many years of enjoyment from your new kit , Drew. As Ian mentions above definitely worth investing in some cleaning materials for your stylus and vinyl , makes a great deal of difference not just by reducing wear but enhancing your listening experience. .