Stranraer v St. Mirren 15/07/17

2 minutes ago, pondsman said:

Where are you, Shull?

Will be travelling down south on 15th July to see Jack's new-look side get its first win of the new season.

Stranraer 1- 3 St. Mirren

I'm here but I willnae be there ( Stair Park )

The Match will be a walk in the Park .

Stranraer 0 St Mirren 6

Crowd 987

Bring on the Livy

Opened up my laptop this morning expecting to see that you'd got the thread up and running. It's coming to something when we have to start match day threads ourselves!

Not so sure about your prediction. Team will still be settling in, but anything less than a victory will be a big disappointment.

Edited by pondsman

4 hours ago, shull said:

I'm here but I willnae be there ( Stair Park )

The Match will be a walk in the Park .

Stranraer 0 St Mirren 6

Crowd 987

Bring on the Livy

Well said Shull

Ok Forum lets keep track this season see if Shullie boy can improve on his 6.05% accuracy for the first 5 months of last season

PS he got the Edinburgh City result right--------------

Shull I know this is an original concept for you, but maybe start a thread entitled Shulls predictor

If you get 5 results spot on by Xmas I will donate £50 to any charity of your choice :lol:  

51 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Well said Shull

Ok Forum lets keep track this season see if Shullie boy can improve on his 6.05% accuracy for the first 5 months of last season

PS he got the Edinburgh City result right--------------

Shull I know this is an original concept for you, but maybe start a thread entitled Shulls predictor

If you get 5 results spot on by Xmas I will donate £50 to any charity of your choice :lol:  

I am fed up starting Threads, especially Matchday ones. Seem to be a jinx. So let anybody else start them and predictions can be added 

And give your 50 quid to anybody you desire , even to me :D

33 minutes ago, shull said:

I am fed up starting Threads, especially Matchday ones. Seem to be a jinx. So let anybody else start them and predictions can be added 

And give your 50 quid to anybody you desire , even to me :D

I think you are registered charity so ok

Get 5 right and the Shull Overseas Development  Office or  ( SOD OFF) gets a crisp Pony

10 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Looking forward to this. My recollection of Stair Park was a great goal by Victor. 

Yep - I remember that as well - my last visit there.

Fully intending to go to the game and looking at the trains. As we are on holiday at the time I am also considering travelling down on the Friday and staying over. Is it worth it - any decent site seeing to do?

Edited by southsidebud

1 hour ago, southsidebud said:

Fully intending to go to the game and looking at the trains. 

The railway line is nowhere near the ground.:rolleyes:

Edited by HSS

7 minutes ago, HSS said:

The railway line is nowhere near the ground.

Now, here's the thing. Stranraer station set to be right at the port in the town. If it is still there it's only a five minute walk to Stair park through the town.

The ferry port has closed however and moved to Cairnryan which doesn't have a Station , I wonder if the rail station is still there inside the grounds of an abandoned ferry port ? I would  check that one out before you travel.

1 minute ago, southsidebud said:

18 mins walk according to google maps - seems fine to me.

Is it that far ? I'm sure it's a lot nearer.

eta . Just checked , 0.8 of a mile walk , 15-18 minutes as you say. However , you have to walk through the town. Have you ever watched the Walking Dead ?

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

27 minutes ago, southsidebud said:

18 mins walk according to google maps - seems fine to me.

My point being you wont be able to look at the trains from the ground.

Don't you just hate when you have to explain.:huh:

13 minutes ago, HSS said:

My point being you wont be able to look at the trains from the ground.

Don't you just hate when you have to explain.:huh:

Ah i see it now. Was meaning that i was looking at the train times in readiness for my trip - but its a fair cop :)

11 hours ago, southsidebud said:

Yep - I remember that as well - my last visit there.

Fully intending to go to the game and looking at the trains. As we are on holiday at the time I am also considering travelling down on the Friday and staying over. Is it worth it - any decent site seeing to do?

The North West Castle hotel is central and not too expensive. Decent food and a pool.  Portpatrick is worth a visit and not too far away but you would need a car.

26 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

The North West Castle hotel is central and not too expensive. Decent food and a pool.  Portpatrick is worth a visit and not too far away but you would need a car.

Also has a curling rink !!  Not something you see in many hotels !

As you say , decent hotel and decent price. Also , Portpatrick is the Jewel in that area with the Logan Botanic gardens a few miles further south , Palm trees & exotic plants galore . :)

If i wasnt going to be in Aviemore that week might even have made a wee weekend of it    :)

Hell of a place to get to this. Booked trains the other day, via Edinburgh and Glasgow on the morning of the game. Trains don't run late enough to get back to Newcastle so staying over in Glasgow Saturday night. Then today Newcastle announce they're playing Hearts at Tynecastle the night before. We change trains in Edinburgh on the Sat' morning. Quite frustrating. To make it a double header is tempting but it means booking more trains and paying for another nights stay. Not quite ruling it out however.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2017 at 5:24 PM, john scott said:

Hell of a place to get to this. Booked trains the other day, via Edinburgh and Glasgow on the morning of the game. Trains don't run late enough to get back to Newcastle so staying over in Glasgow Saturday night. Then today Newcastle announce they're playing Hearts at Tynecastle the night before. We change trains in Edinburgh on the Sat' morning. Quite frustrating. To make it a double header is tempting but it means booking more trains and paying for another nights stay. Not quite ruling it out however.

Can you not get the train to Carlisle and then another to Newcastle 

On 2017-6-24 at 2:04 AM, jkd said:

Can you not get the train to Carlisle and then another to Newcastle 

Had hoped we'd be able to but it seems there isn't a direct train line between Carlisle and Stranraer and we'd still have to go via Glasgow unfortunately. There's a national express bus leaves Stranraer at 6pm and scheduled to get to Carlisle at 8:45pm. Last train from Carlisle to Newcastle is 21:28 so a bit of a gamble booking that in case there was any delay on the bus journey.