Gary Harkins

bud72

:clapping

A bit like Chic Charnley, another player who wasn't nearly as good as he thought he was, GH has never been in a side that has been promoted. Will undoubtedly contribute a couple of spectacular goals for the 'Ton but I'm sure most Championship clubs will see this as a bullet missed.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Very un Jim Duffy like signing to be honest - surprising

Duffy will be another on the long list of managers that will think they will get the best out of Harkins (he clearly has ability)

Like the others he won't, and will soon realise he's just a big lazy waste of a jersey and won't be offered a new deal next year

17 hours ago, jaybee said:
  2 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

I couldn't disagree more, Chic Charnley was a superbly skillful player who would have played at a much higher level has he not been such a nutjob.

One of my all-time worst 3 Saints players, the others being Jim Gardiner and Micheal Renfrum (sp?).

OMG!!! Jim Gardiner and Alex Bone Oh dearie dearie me

Going way off topic :offtopicI've seen many mediocre to bad Saints players but to get onto my list they have to do something over and above just being bad on the pitch.

The three players I'd have in my list are

1. Jim Gardiner, who we got from Motherwell in part exchange for Paul Lambert. He seemed to think that coming down from the premier league and playing for St. Mirren was beneath him. I remember one game where he gave the North Bank the self-abuse hand gesture and recieved it back in spades. One player I wasn't sad to see the back of.

2. Mikael Renfrum (sp?), I read an article after he left us that he had been disappointed by the standard of football in the SPL. I know you'll never read this Mikael, but you never stood out as being above this level, barely adequate IIRC.

3. Chic Charnley for being nowhere near as good as he thought he was.

There are plenty off young players who have come into struggling Saints teams (Gavin Galloway, Gary McGrotty), one game wonders who were sent homeward tae think again (Marlene Dietrich, Hrienn Hringsson) or players who never justified the sometimes heavy pricetags/contracts they arrived wearing like Wishart, Stickroth, Archibald, Manley, Baillie& Reid who get mentioned by others but for me it takes something a bit special to make it into my Top 5 'cos as yoo can see I've still got two spaces left.

Edited by Bud the Baker

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

3. Chic Charnley for being nowhere near as good as he thought he was.

So, to be clear, your placing him at no. 3 in the worst Saints players of all time  has nothing to do with his playing ability but, instead, your perception of how he perceived his ability? :rolleyes:

• 11 months later...
29 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Thats a surprise. Did he jump or was he pushed ?  Thought he and Ton were a perfect fit.

He was likely their highest earner and the new man in charge will likely be wanting to cut the wage bill.

28 minutes ago, renfrew said:

He was likely their highest earner and the new man in charge will likely be wanting to cut the wage bill.

Decent player with arguably lots of skill but variable application and work rate.  

Could be a good signing for QOS

Rebuilding their team with Rankine and Lyle etc away?