Gavin Reilly

3 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Surprised it took you so long bud, that was nearly 27 minutes there!

He didn't fit in at Hearts or Dunfermline so it clearly isn't just a Dunfermline issue.

Maybe he will go on to be the 20 goal a season striker we need if we are going to get out this division.  Based on the fact he's only scored 5 league goals in the last 2 seasons, I think it's fair to say that's unlikely. 

Since you ask his best career return in a league season is 13, so even when he's been at his best he hasn't exactly been prolific.

I really hope we sign at least one more striker.

I'm sure there will be a quality striker signd all I'm trying to point out is your constant negative spin. Did you not enjoy the second half of last season ? It's the best football I have seen since Sir Alex Ferguson was manager. 

Just now, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I'm sure there will be a quality striker signd all I'm trying to point out is your constant negative spin. Did you not enjoy the second half of last season ? It's the best football I have seen since Sir Alex Ferguson was manager. 

' Constant negative spin '

My last comment on a signing was saying what a great bit of business Craig Samson was.  But guess that doesn't fit with your agenda does it :lol:

I can't say I enjoyed being in a relegation battle at the foot of the second tier  no, but whatever floats your boat.

9 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Surprised it took you so long bud, that was nearly 27 minutes there!

He didn't fit in at Hearts or Dunfermline so it clearly isn't just a Dunfermline issue.

Maybe he will go on to be the 20 goal a season striker we need if we are going to get out this division.  Based on the fact he's only scored 5 league goals in the last 2 seasons, I think it's fair to say that's unlikely. 

Since you ask his best career return in a league season is 13, so even when he's been at his best he hasn't exactly been prolific.

I really hope we sign at least one more striker.

Maybe Jack signed him just to pee you off?

43 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Welcome aboard etc.

Very meh signing.  Dunfermline fans think he's a dud and are laughing at us for signing him and some even have described him  as ' the worst player we've ever had '.  Not the kind of signing you think is going to blast us to the Premiership based on what they're saying.

Seems to have had a good season for QOTS in 14/15, flopped at Hearts in 15/16 and then flopped again at Dunfermline in 16/17.  Will get his chance of course and maybe he will go back to the player he was 3 seasons ago.  Here's hoping.

4 goals in 11 Premiership starts isn't exactly poor reading, he simply struggled to get in the side ahead of Osman Sow and Juanma who were in very good from for Hearts. In fact his stats compare far more favourably to guys like Connor Sammon. Hearts simply signed higher quality as they were always liable to do.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

4 goals in 11 Premiership starts isn't exactly poor reading, he simply struggled to get in the side ahead of Osman Sow and Juanma who were in very good from for Hearts. In fact his stats compare far more favourably to guys like Connor Sammon. Hearts simply signed higher quality as they were always liable to do.

It's 32 appearances and 4 goals though.

But it's true that just because he wasn't good enough for Hearts doesn't mean he's not good enough for us.

It's more the fact that he wasn't good enough for Dunfermline either that's concerning me.  Signing cast offs from the team who finished 5th doesn't exactly get the pulse racing.

10 minutes ago, TopCat said:

My last comment on a signing was saying what a great bit of business Craig Samson was.  But guess that doesn't fit with your agenda does it :lol:

I can't say I enjoyed being in a relegation battle at the foot of the second tier  no, but whatever floats your boat.

Don't think supporting St Mirren is really for you TC If you didn't enjoy the last 4 months of the season, I'm thinking 

your bitterness towards Jack Ross has clouded that answer....Grow up FFS, your like a spoilt wean..

Just now, TopCat said:

It's 32 appearances and 4 goals though.

But it's true that just because he wasn't good enough for Hearts doesn't mean he's not good enough for us.

It's more the fact that he wasn't good enough for Dunfermline either that's concerning me.  Signing cast offs from the team who finished 5th doesn't exactly get the pulse racing.

Have a look on Soccerbase Lex, 21 of those 32 appearances were as a substitute. About 80% of those appearance were in the 81st-90th minute.

Starts have always been the fairest way to judge someone on goal returns though. 5-10 minutes at the end of games certainly isn't a fair reflection on all 32 appearances.

32 minutes ago, shull said:

Reilly to be confirmed ramorra. 

Welcome To The Club Gavin ( Tuesday) 

:clapping

How do you know this???

Why did St Mirren confirm it today then delete all social media regarding it???

Come on Shull tell us.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

How do you know this???

Why did St Mirren confirm it today then delete all social media regarding it???

Come on Shull tell us.

Just repeating what is being posted on Twitter. 

I am sure everything will be fine and he'll be paraded again.later. 

5 minutes ago, scrappy coco said:

Don't think supporting St Mirren is really for you TC If you didn't enjoy the last 4 months of the season, I'm thinking 

your bitterness towards Jack Ross has clouded that answer....Grow up FFS, your like a spoilt wean..

You say that like relegation battles at the bottom of the second tier is something that happens regularly to a club like ours.

They don't :lol:

They're to be feared not savoured.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Have a look on Soccerbase Lex, 21 of those 32 appearances were as a substitute. About 80% of those appearance were in the 81st-90th minute.

Starts have always been the fairest way to judge someone on goal returns though. 5-10 minutes at the end of games certainly isn't a fair reflection on all 32 appearances.

Well the point on his Hearts career is he didn't cut it, I don't think that can be disputed.  That's why they punted him to Dunfermline on loan last summer and that's why they're paying a substantial sum of money to leave them this summer.   But again that's not the issue, its the 22 games and 1 goal for Dunfermline last season that's the worry.

3 minutes ago, TopCat said:

You say that like relegation battles at the bottom of the second tier is something that happens regularly to a club like ours.

Well the point on his Hearts career is he didn't cut it, I don't think that can be disputed.  That's why they punted him to Dunfermline on loan last summer and that's why they're paying a substantial sum of money to leave them this summer.   But again that's not the issue, its the 22 games and 1 goal for Dunfermline last season that's the worry.

I wish Div reinstated the naughty step for negative anti team anti manager pish. I mean I know we live in a democracy but surely a supporter sometimes eh............... supports ?

41 minutes ago, TopCat said:

He asked you whether you enjoyed the standard of football we were playing.

Did you enjoy it?

4 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

I wish Div reinstated the naughty step for negative anti team anti manager pish. I mean I know we live in a democracy but surely a supporter sometimes eh............... supports ?

So, you're saying anyone who doesn't jump up and down with glee at every signing goes into the doom room? :lol:

Away and have a drink. :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, TopCat said:

You cannot function properly if you live your life or go about your day to day job in "fear" of anything.

Part of the reason our team succeeded is because enough of the players and management genuinely didn't spend too much time thinking about the threat of relegation or the consequences.

If they had obsessed over it like you, we would have been relegated IMO.

You cannot afford to fear defeat in any aspect of life.

27 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

I am positive that TC will support the Team 100% at all Matches. 

He is entitled to his opinion on here and should not be placed in the SIN BIN because you or anybody else disagrees with him. 

That is pathetic. 

Gavin Reilly's last season as a regular starter was 2 years ago for Queen of the South.

He scored 13 league goals in 30 starts as a 21 year old in a league that contained The Rangers, Hearts & Hibs.

He was the 4th highest scorer in the league that season. He scored more goals than any of the strikers who played for champions Hearts or The Rangers.

Even 13 goals last season in a considerably weaker Championship would have made you the 4th highest scorer in the league.

He scored 12 league goals the season before that.

This isn't even a case of potential. Gavin Reilly has PROVEN that he is capable of being one of the top scorers in this league in played regularly.

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Hearts are in the Premiership. They are the 3rd biggest club in the land. The fact that he didn't make it there doesn't mean that he can't do a job for us. Hearts got shot of John Sutton as well...

As for Dunfermline, he spent most of last season on the bench. He got injured early on and when he came back, they had signed Nicky Clark, one of the top scorers in the league. He didn't get back in.

He's already proven over the course of 2 seasons that he can deliver at this level. He's only 24 so its not as if he's an old pro on the way down.

Even a prolific goalscorer is only as good as the service he receives from his team mates. Ian Rush was one of the best strikers in the business in his two spells at Liverpool but he was a donkey when he was playing in Italy. The service he received there just didn't match his strengths but when he returned to Liverpool normal service was resumed.

Reilly seems to have lost his way somewhat.

Sean Kelly was in a similar place and extremely disillusioned with football. A change of clubs seems to have worked wonders for him.

Hopefully our excellent management team, who have both worked with Reilly previously, can work with him again to help him regain his appetite for the game and we can get the best out of him, when he returns to form.

Another player with plenty of potential. Now we need a proven, experienced goal scorer.

It would be great if that player was Rory Loy.

23 minutes ago, FTOF said:

He doesn't have as much experience as I'd like. Arguably Loy has played at a higher level and scored goals more consistently.

Not so sure I agree.

Reilly has scored goals consistently when playing.

Reilly's championship record from 2013-15 was 66 appearances with 27 goals. Loy's record was 60 appearances and 29 goals.

20 of Loy's goals came in in the 13/14 season when Falkirk ran Dundee & Hamilton close for the title.

Reilly scored his goals more consistently over the 2 season and, as I mentioned earlier, was 4th top scorer in 14/15 when Hearts, The Rang*rs and Hibs were in the league.

Yes, Loy has played and scored at a higher level but then Reilly still managed 28 Premiership appearances with Hearts and scored 4 goals despite most of the appearances coming from the bench.

IMO, if given a choice, I'd rather take the 24 year old who will still believe he has a chance of earning a big pay day if he can produce the goods this season than a 29 year old.

Of course, would take both if possible....

Edited by mcdowell76