Gavin Reilly

The more they mark Gavin the more space left for the likes of Morgan, Smith, Sutton, Duffy, Stewart and Mcgennis when he is back will be left to exploit not to mention Kirkpatrick who likes to shoot.

It has been a while since I could look at a saints team and be hard pressed to pick the next scorer when there are so many options and places goals could come from.

Then usually when you have an attacking side your defence is suspect but again ours is solid (ok there have been afew soft goals) and when we have all players fit there are not any others in the division as strong.

Then we have 2 good GK at the club Shulls opinion of Samson aside he has proven himself to be solid and at our level a good keeper with the young lad Stewart improving every time I see him.

All in all even with some hiccups the futures bright in Paisley for the first time in many years, Gavin is a symptom of that, long may it continue.

SS 

Edited by Swiss_Saint
spelled a name wrong, probably missed other bits :)

On 12/06/2017 at 5:08 PM, TopCat said:

It's 32 appearances and 4 goals though.

But it's true that just because he wasn't good enough for Hearts doesn't mean he's not good enough for us.

It's more the fact that he wasn't good enough for Dunfermline either that's concerning me.  Signing cast offs from the team who finished 5th doesn't exactly get the pulse racing.

Gavin Reilly has the cigar out at present, back in your box please champ.

9 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

Gavin Reilly has the cigar out at present, back in your box please champ.

Pished Saints fan severely trolling a fellow Saints fan .

While the rest of us celebrate a fantastic victory earlier.

Edited by shull

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/08/2017 at 11:05 PM, shull said:

Pished Saints fan severely trolling a fellow Saints fan .

While the rest of us celebrate a fantastic victory earlier.

I know TC well and reserve the right to wind him up at every opportunity when he gets things wrong. Something I take great pleasure in when passing him outside the ground or in the pub. 

Whilst pished. And he's sometimes getting pished too. 

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I know TC well and reserve the right to wind him up at every opportunity when he gets things wrong. Something I take great pleasure in when passing him outside the ground or in the pub. 

Whilst pished. And he's sometimes getting pished too. 

That's nice, JJ McG  :blink:

He looks the part at the moment. Was massively impressed with him against United (missed the Colts game due to work). Thought he bullied the 2 much bigger centre backs. Made loads of space for Morgan and Smith, possibly his best all-round game for us, ironically, one of the few he's not been on the scoresheet. Was good to see him back scoring on Saturday. A real find so far.

41 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

Sometimes it's the players who want the 1 year contract to keep their options open.

Correct. Sometimes it's a bit of both. I'm sure if we offered him an extension now he'd want to bide his time as his stock is rising fast, although if we started a dialogue now, with a decent increase in salary and maybe a goal bonus, he might be tempted to extend.

I think a lot will depend on what division we're playing in next season. Obviously there's a good rapport between Gavin and the management and it could be seen they took a wee chance by signing him , so hopefully he would be willing to repay them by signing an extension.

From today's Herald .....

Striker Gavin Reilly has unfinished business in the Premiership, and he reckons that St Mirren will give him the platform to prove he can cut it in the top flight by getting back to where they belong.

The Buddies have started the season in tremendous form, winning four of their five games so far to shoot to the top of the Championship table.

The win over Inverness on Saturday built upon their triumph over title favourites Dundee United in their previous match, and while it is early days, Reilly says their start has everyone at the club believing they can earn promotion.

“Our aim at the start of the season was to win the league outright, if not then definitely through the play-offs,” said Reilly.

“I think with the group we have that we’re more than capable of doing it. At the same time, we’re only five games into the league season. It’s a good start to make and we’ll keep building on that.

“I would love to get back to playing in the Premiership again and that’s where a club of this size should be. We have to keep going the way we’re going and hopefully we’ll be there at the end of the season.

“It’s been a very good start. I think we’ve just built game to game. The first game against Falkirk was a tremendous victory – especially given it was the opener.

“Morton brought us down to earth but we’ve kicked on from there. We had a very difficult start, so it’s been brilliant to get the points that we have.

“There are no easy games in this league. Everyone’s capable of beating everyone. But it’s good to lay down a marker early on.”

Reilly, who was speaking as he collected his 'Goldenballs' award for his performance in Round 2 of the Irn-Bru Cup, says that his own fine start to the season - he has scored eight goals in 11 matches - is down to getting a consistent run of games.

“People say goals in the cup don’t count but for me they do,” he said. If you get 20 goals at the end of the season no-one is going to look back and break it down by the competitions. It’s the tally that counts.

"I’ve just been glad to get back playing football and the goals have been a bonus. Any striker will say that you need a consistent run of games to get the best out of you.

“Credit to the gaffer for giving me the chance to come in and show what I’m capable of doing. I’m just glad I’ve done well so far and long may it continue.”

The Saints face a tough test on Saturday as they bid to keep the feel-good factor around Paisley going, with a trip to face second-placed Dunfermline.

Reilly needs no extra motivation for the game having gone through a nightmare spell at East End park last season.

“We’re all looking forward to it,” he said.

“It’ll be good to go there and hopefully prove a point, as long as we win the game. I’d be happy with that.

“They’ve had a good start. I think they’ve only lost one game in the league. They were 2-0 up on Saturday, so to lose 3-2 must have come as a bit of a shock. They’ve got some quality players and they’re a good team.

“I think there’s talk of the crowd being 5-6000. They’ve got a tremendous support as it is and the way we’re going we’ll bring through a healthy support of our own.

“The fans have been tremendous so far. They go all over the country and it is a credit to them. It’s great to have their backing. We want to give them the three points they deserve.”

• 2 months later...