Le Tour 2017 - who'll be mellow in yellow?

Bud the Baker

Guest TPAFKATS
Wow!

What a finish!

Romain Bardet takes the stage...
I think Aru probably takes the Yellow Jersey.....
(aye - just confirmed)

And Froome rode backwards in the final 100m - uphill, mind ye!

So it wasn't a procession then [emoji6]

11 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

The waiting on the leader goes back to a time when it was an amatuer race and didn't have big prize money involved . 

It is up to the riders to wait as it is an unwritten rule , more like etiquette. Aru clearly saw a chance to take advantage of a situation whereby Froome was compromised by a mechanical problem , which I bet he spoke to his mechanic about after the stage. Tour leaders need to be very mentally and physically tough , they also need to have a bike with the most reliable equipment. 

You will probably remember that wee Bertie took advantage of Andy Shreks chain coming off , which could have been more to do with Andy than the actual bike . Personally, I always thought that wee Bertie looked like a bit of a c**t by doing that as if he couldn't have won fair and square and along with the way his ban for dopping was wangled , wee Berti went on to look like a total c**t, in my opinion.

However , Wee Nibbles took advantage of the race leader in the Giro having diarrhoea and justified his actions too when he was questioned about it . It seems that you along with Boardman , aren't that fussed about Froome winning it for whatever reason . Some riders do have standards and some don't, Richie Porte does and it looked like Froome did when he waited for Wiggo . .

If you're talking about 2012 - Froome was ordered to wait for Wiggins.

I think I'm neutral wrt Froome, I just think that he exploits the situation like Armstrong before him. On Sunday like I said when Aru attacked it was on the final climb when IIRC the peloton had been whittled down to under 20 riders and I'd have thought it was race on mechanical problem or not. If I'd been.

Froome cracked today on that final climb , if he had had the legs he would have attacked them but he obviously didn't . I personally don't think Froome is anything like Legstrong . .

It is 50yrs today since the death of Tom Simpson near the peak of Mount Ventoux , during the Tour . Tom was famous for being the first British rider to wear the Maillot Jaune. .

Guest TPAFKATS

Uran and Bennett both penalised 20 seconds for taking water bottles after the final feed. Evidence emerges that Bardet did similar but as yet no action. Quelle surprise!

Guest TPAFKATS
I think you will see Bardet get penalised today , otherwise there could be a riot. .in my opinion , it is a silly rule but rules are rules , eh?

Aye, if you penalise one, you have to penalise the other no matter how daft the rule is. Especially as Bardet won the stage!

4 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Aye, if you penalise one, you have to penalise the other no matter how daft the rule is. Especially as Bardet won the stage!

Indeed , his stage win will still count but the 20 seconds deduction will only count in the GC . I reckon he should also get another 20 second reduction for wearing that hideous team kit , they have the same honking colours every season that lot, something ought to be done about it. .:P

Edited by saintnextlifetime

That "sprint" finish yesterday was as brutal as I have seen in all my years watching the TDF - a total killer. Don't think I have ever seen pro riders finishing as slowly.

Never seen that partical stage finish before (or can't remember seeing it used) - has it been used in the past ?

Guest TPAFKATS

Don't think they've ever used the last part (20% incline) as it's usually a non tarmac access to a helipad or landing strip?

Seems that Uran and Bennett have had their time penalties rescinded? Convenient as it means no time pen for Bardet. What's French for fudge?

25 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Don't think they've ever used the last part (20% incline) as it's usually a non tarmac access to a helipad or landing strip?

Seems that Uran and Bennett have had their time penalties rescinded? Convenient as it means no time pen for Bardet. What's French for fudge?

According to Google translate it's....eh...fudge ! I don't have an issue with that as it was trivial, Froome was broken fair and square on that incline. Amazingly he lost so much time in what appeared to be such a short distance but that was a hell of a climb. Missing it today will catch up with the highlights tonight.

5 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Yeh well , it is their race afterall but you don't often see them conspiring so blatantly to help one of their own . To be fair most commisairs are cunts , it is a job that attracts a certain personality . Anyway , I'm away to grab my tinfoil hat . .

Looks like that is another stage where bluto never got his procession. .:wink:

Interesting day - just saw the highlights.

Landa was in "virtual" yellow at one stage of today's race after Sky let him get into a breakaway with Contador (obviously not wanting to repeat their mistake in the 2011 Vuelta :whistle) and Aru rode a great race to hold onto the lead.

Still think Froome has a guaranteed minute over the other GC contadors (sic) in the ITT so he is my favourite to win - but I'm nowhere near confident he'll do it.

My man Adam Hansen is currently 93rd ahead of the handsome Thomas Voeckler :wub: (115th) who at 38-y-o is riding his final Tour - he's been lined up for a French Soap Opera!

Edited by Bud the Baker

Guest TPAFKATS
Interesting day - just saw the highlights.
Landa was in "virtual" yellow at one stage of today's race after Sky let him get into a breakaway with Contador (obviously not wanting to repeat their mistake in the 2011 Vuelta :whistle) and Aru rode a great race to hold onto the lead.
Still think Froome has a guaranteed minute over the other GC contenders (sic) in the ITT so he is my favourite to win - but I'm nowhere near confident he'll do it.
My man Adam Hansen is currently 93rd ahead of the handsome Thomas Voeckler :wub: (115th) who at 38-y-o is riding his final Tour - he's been lined up for a French Soap Opera!

Yeah Landa in virtual yellow and his own team doing a great job of chasing him down

58 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

My interpretation too but Landa is in form and if he's been given a wildcard has probably got as good a chance as anyone.

If wee Landa can land the title then good luck to him , he will have earned it . At least wee Berti has admitted that he is out of the frame and I doubt that wee Niaro can catch up now . I did think Cummings did a great effort the other day and it would be good to see Yates continue his good form. .

if he can expect help from the commisairs,  then maybe there is more to come from young Monsieur Bardet. .

Guest TPAFKATS

Yeah, Froome is the sky leader but he's only 6 seconds behind. If sky had let Landa go for it, it would've given Aru another sky rider to worry about.

Just now, antrin said:

Tch!  It's returned to a procession....   :)

An amazing, powerful  - and blasé - finish from Michael Matthews.

should that not be "wee" michael matthews?

he has a nickname of bling, but some fanny farts

will still say "wee" michael matthews coooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllll