Lewis Morgan

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

No. He would be a free agent and have no link with us except via a small development fee as he hasn't been here that long with us. No sell on fee for us unless no club wants to sign him and pay the development fee and there is zero chance of that.

The only reason we got a sell on fee for McGinn was because no-one was interested in paying allegedly £250k and Hibs offered us the deal of half the cash and sell on fee. Falkirk had the same problem with Sibbald that no-one would pay the development fee nor come to a deal. Sibbald had to re-sign for Falkirk otherwise he could have been out of football.

How much do you reckon we'd get for a development fee

10 minutes ago, ReturnOf isma is god said:

How much do you reckon we'd get for a development fee

I couldn't really give an accurate figure. It is based primarily on the number of years he is with the Club, appearances and his wages. He only signed with us in 2013 so only 4 years with us and 3 years have been in the Championship. I would doubt it would break £100k tops and maybe that is being generous. Sadly.

Edited by Sonny

This boy has worked his socks off since he broke into our first team. He looked a bit lightweight at the start but you could see he had talent. He came back after pre-season looked a lot stronger and has never looked back. His work rate and determination are what makes him stand out and I know he won't be here next year but he is a joy to watch and whenever wherever he goes I know nobody in the buddies faithful will grudge him that!

Not an end to our hopes but we will have to do things differently, we also still have Kyle McGennis to come back as well. Listening to the crowd when Morgan was subbed yesterday took me back to qualifying at the Singapore Grand Prix 2014 and the chants of Lewis, Lewis when Hamilton got pole and the stand on the pit straight went wild, although Morgan goes past people faster than Hamilton. [emoji3]

I'll buck the trend here but the club should be putting out feelers just now to see who might be interested in Lewis (we're on first  name terms) and how much they'd be willing to pay. There'll be a difficult decision to make  with 6 months left on his contract in January no club might be willing to pay the sorta money we'd want to let him go. Hopefully like the summer window some sorta arrangement will be reached between Lewis & the club.  If he's to go it'd be best to get it done early rather than a deadline day deal.

2 hours ago, elvis said:

The club has to try everything in its power to get him to stay until the end of the season at least because if he goes in January I think it will put an end to our hopes of getting out of this league.

There is literally no point in letting him leave in January. Any fee offered with 6 months left will be peanuts. He'll likely sign a pre contract in January but we won't do a Naismith and let him leave early for a nominal fee. 

Why doesn’t Lewis help St Mirren by signing an extension to his contract ? 

Makes hee haw difference to him as he will undoubtedly get his big move. 

Not happy with this situation at all. Going to leave a sour taste if he moves for feck all. 

Very poor by Agent and Lewis. 

Just sign FFS 

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

I'll buck the trend here but the club should be putting out feelers just now to see who might be interested in Lewis (we're on first  name terms) and how much they'd be willing to pay. There'll be a difficult decision to make  with 6 months left on his contract in January no club might be willing to pay the sorta money we'd want to let him go. Hopefully like the summer window some sorta arrangement will be reached between Lewis & the club.  If he's to go it'd be best to get it done early rather than a deadline day deal.

He'll definitely go either in January or at some point after the season ends.

Best case scenario would be us , as BTB suggests, finding out who is interested and get a sizeable fee for him in January (after starting a bidding war). Part of the deal would involve him being loaned back to us for the rest of the season.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

There is literally no point in letting him leave in January. Any fee offered with 6 months left will be peanuts. He'll likely sign a pre contract in January but we won't do a Naismith and let him leave early for a nominal fee. 

Not if there are more than one club in for him. I reckon there will be several if he continues with his early season form.

3 minutes ago, shull said:

Not happy with this situation at all. Going to leave a sour taste if he moves for feck all. 

Just sign FFS 

Simply put because a player under contract commanding a fee is going to attract less potential clubs offering a contract than one who is under contract. 

Just now, FTOF said:

He'll definitely go either in January or at some point after the season ends.

Best case scenario would be us , as BTB suggests, finding out who is interested and get a sizeable fee for him in January (after starting a bidding war). Part of the deal would involve him being loaned back to us for the rest of the season.

Not if there are more than one club in for him. I reckon there will be several if he continues with his early season form.

I hope you're right. Again though, if this is the case, I can see Lewis going to a much larger club... One where he may not be needed right away. 

Any accepted bid must ensure that he's here for the remainder of the season. 

Morgan and his agent have all the cards.

he wont sign an extension simply because any one wanting him would have to pay north of £300k for a transfer fee. Wheras if he just sits tight he will probably agree a pre-contract in January, and get A £100k sign on fee because he saved his new club about £250k.

then he may move like Naismith in January for the development fee we would get at the end of the season plus a wee bit. 

His agent will be advising sit tight, sign nothing and we get £100k sign on, and you are on 6 to 10 times your current wage. If that doesn't work out., worst case scenario  StMirren will offer you a new/better contract for next season, and we can still move you on to the next bidder.

just enjoy whilst you can, it is a sickener we are going to lose out on about £300k yet again though... the contract, reward and benefit process at the club needs a complete overhaul, its losing us literally millions!

24 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Decision is straightforward how much you get selling to how much you get in the top league. Its a no brainer.  

16 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Morgan and his agent have all the cards.

he wont sign an extension simply because any one wanting him would have to pay north of £300k for a transfer fee. Wheras if he just sits tight he will probably agree a pre-contract in January, and get A £100k sign on fee because he saved his new club about £250k.

then he may move like Naismith in January for the development fee we would get at the end of the season plus a wee bit. 

His agent will be advising sit tight, sign nothing and we get £100k sign on, and you are on 6 to 10 times your current wage. If that doesn't work out., worst case scenario  StMirren will offer you a new/better contract for next season, and we can still move you on to the next bidder.

just enjoy whilst you can, it is a sickener we are going to lose out on about £300k yet again though... the contract, reward and benefit process at the club needs a complete overhaul, its losing us literally millions!

Not really, we wilfully knocked that approximate figure back a couple of months ago. If we had really wanted to accept it at the time, we'd have sent him off to Burton with our best wishes.

If we don't get a significant fee for Morgan, it will be because the club chose not to accept a significant bid for once. Wouldn't really class it as a sickener when the money was apparently there on the table for the lad and we chose not to take it. In an ideal world, he'll sign a 2 year extension and be gone for a really significant value next season.

I'd genuinely love to know what it WOULD take for the lad and his agent to talk though. Surely with the form he's in and how much he's clearly enjoying his football, coupled with the tough starts Stevie Mallan and Kyle McAllister have had down south proving it's not all sunshine and light, there must be a figure quoted that can at least see him considering signing a new deal with the full intention of not seeing it out if and when an agreed upon amount gets bid.

Edited by djchapsticks

23 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Not really, we wilfully knocked that approximate figure back a couple of months ago. If we had really wanted to accept it at the time, we'd have sent him off to Burton with our best wishes.

If we don't get a significant fee for Morgan, it will be because the club chose not to accept a significant bid for once. Wouldn't really class it as a sickener when the money was apparently there on the table for the lad and we chose not to take it. In an ideal world, he'll sign a 2 year extension and be gone for a really significant value next season.

I'd genuinely love to know what it WOULD take for the lad and his agent to talk though. Surely with the form he's in and how much he's clearly enjoying his football, coupled with the tough starts Stevie Mallan and Kyle McAllister have had down south proving it's not all sunshine and light, there must be a figure quoted that can at least see him considering signing a new deal with the full intention of not seeing it out if and when an agreed upon amount gets bid.

It WOULD take  at least £100k golden handcuffs and a hike of between 6 to ten times his current wage.

the only reason he didnt go in the summer is that no one came up with the magic number the club would accept. Now we will get a paltry development fee, with perhaps a wee bunce if the club let him go in January after he has signed his PCA.  Its just the way of the world.

the problem is the contract, rewards and benefit he is on with us at the moment that have left the club with Hobson's Choice... " flog him Aug 2017 for lot less than he is worth, or get the best out of him and he goes in Jan or season end for a lot less..?

Morgan is very much a man on form , and if he was playing for one of the old firm , would be under consideration for a call up for the full international squad . Also interesting to note that his game seems to improve during the last quarter , he,s got an amazing engine . Loved the way he ran back 30 yards to keep the ball in , then turn round and run at the Inverness full back , also loved the way he ran at the Inverness defence , when he passed it on to Reilly instead of shooting himself . Genuinely believe Strachan should consider using Lewis as an impact player in our forthcoming world cup qualifiers .

With regards to Morgan moving on , I tend to agree with Bud the Baker , and think we should be trying to encourage decent offers in January , we should also be looking to use some of the incoming cash to bring in a replacement ( Lewis Vaughan from Raith ) 

Would be quite happy though if Lewis stayed with us until the end of the season 

is it just me , but does anyone else think he plays a like George Best

1 hour ago, shull said:

Just sign FFS 

20 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Wouldnt it be great if Morgan helped us out by signing a year extention ?

I think we all know he is going to be off , and if he keeps up this sort of form buying clubs will happily part with cash for his services anyway .

i can only assume you must have skimmed past that one !:rolleyes:

Well skimmed. 

On 29/08/2017 at 4:20 PM, shull said:

Anyway, why won't he sign at least a 3 year contract ? 

He is so brilliant, he will definitely sell no matter the price. 

Make plenty for us and loose change for any English Club in the top 2 Divisions.

Just a continuation of the above Post. 

2 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Morgan is very much a man on form , and if he was playing for one of the old firm , would be under consideration for a call up for the full international squad . Also interesting to note that his game seems to improve during the last quarter , he,s got an amazing engine . Loved the way he ran back 30 yards to keep the ball in , then turn round and run at the Inverness full back , also loved the way he ran at the Inverness defence , when he passed it on to Reilly instead of shooting himself . Genuinely believe Strachan should consider using Lewis as an impact player in our forthcoming world cup qualifiers .

With regards to Morgan moving on , I tend to agree with Bud the Baker , and think we should be trying to encourage decent offers in January , we should also be looking to use some of the incoming cash to bring in a replacement ( Lewis Vaughan from Raith ) 

Would be quite happy though if Lewis stayed with us until the end of the season 

is it just me , but does anyone else think he plays a like George Best

Maybe a little early to say he plays like George Best, but I see what you mean. 

For the time being I'd liken him to the young James McFadden only blessed with lightening pace. And if Faddy had pace he'd have been a frightening prospect.