Lewis Morgan

3 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Ok try thinking this through.

The club have a figure they would accept for his transfer whch is rumoured to be £350k (no idea if that is so) so if we go with that, and accept there were bids before the window closed of £200-250k that were rejected then it would appear the club arent selling for less than £300k or he would already have gone.

he becomes a free agent next June, he can agree a PCA in January with the club of his choosing, in fact he will no doubt pick up a hefty sign-on fee for agreeing the PCA and saving the club he signs for a couple of hundred thousand quid!

he is a good player, with a decent future ahead, but he is shining in the Scottish second tier, so being realistic which club will pay £300-350k for him in January, when they can agree a PCA that sees him pick up maybe as much as £100k for saving his new club over £200k..?

the only way i can see him moving in January is if a club he agrees a PCA with offer St Mirren  £50-90k to sell him to where he is going anyway. And that i would imagine would be dependent on our board/management believing they could still win promotion without him for the last four months. A load of ifs there in the last bit, but no one is going to pay £350k in January when he will go for £50-80k development fee in June.

Your scenario assumes there is only one club interested in him. Isn't the point that's being made that if more than one/several clubs are interested, one might to prepared to offer a decent fee in order to guarantee securing his services, rather than losing him to a competitor?

My tuppence on this.

The player has no interest presently on signing a new deal, for which I have no issue as we got him for a free when he was rejected at Rangers. And in that he is no different to any other player brought into the club,  we can try and monetise them, but more often than not they will move on at end of contract.

We've been incredibly fortunate, thanks to the recruitment and development, to have quite a few coming through the pipeline from youth teams to the first team over the last few years. Morgan, Mcallister, Mallan, and McGinn are all really good examples to other players to either start or continue their development with us as a club as we will give first team opportunities and give them every chance to move up the levels. 

I would expect that if he were to be allowed to leave in January it would only be for a significant sum of money as his current importance to the team and possibility of influencing promotion would mean it would need to be very large to 1. compensate for that, and 2. to allow us to bring in player(s) that make a material impact, otherwise I would see offers being declined.

I think unlike Mallan, and McGinn, we may get a very good offer in January to take him as if he maintains anything close to current form then I expect that come 1st of January we will have several enquiries being made as teams wouldn't want to chance things and miss out. I do foresee a bit of a bidding war for him as we will not want to do business right at the end of the window and I would imagine that clubs would want to try and get it over the line quickly to avoid getting gazumped. This would allow us to set terms of his departure, including perhaps him remaining on loan. If we don't get significant offers I would see the club holding onto him and taking the development compensation.

Whether he goes in Jan or the summer we can say that we've had our moneys worth out of him as a player regardless of the fee received. His input into games in the last 18 months has been excellent and the wages he will have been on will be less than several of the experienced pro's who have delivered a fraction of the contribution. He will move onto a bigger club than ours in time and will go with my blessing.

2 hours ago, Sonny said:

This true. But he is also shining at international level. Played 2 Scotland U21 games and MoM in each game where he was the only Championship player that got a game. He outshone Burke, who is a £15M player, in a performance that beat the Dutch favourites.  If Lewis plays to the same level in the U21 game v Engerland in October in Engerland I am sure plenty of Clubs will be impressed with what he can do. £350k is a snip for Lewis in January.

We all hope every game he plays for us and country he outshines the lot. But like any young player he will have troughs as well as peaks, whichever clubs may be interested in him in January it will be the one that offers him the biggest signing on fee that will prevail. Why would they need to shell out £350 k, his signing fee, his wages and agree a sell on with us if they can promise him £100k and pick him up for the development fee?

i know we all love him,  but inam sure he and his agent know where the value lies.

55 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Your scenario assumes there is only one club interested in him. Isn't the point that's being made that if more than one/several clubs are interested, one might to prepared to offer a decent fee in order to guarantee securing his services, rather than losing him to a competitor?

Again, if there is more than one interested party, it will be the one that offers Lewis the best sign-on and wage deal to agree a PCA.

the reality is when a player gets to January on an expiring contract, if there is competition for his services the competitors will be dealing with Lewis's agent, and not the club as the club's bargaining chips have gone by then.

Well Forrest have paid millions for what were basically championship players in McKay and that Hibs tosser.........

What is important is that Lewis gets to play football , like to see him play for Scotland at some stage  , is he better than Oliver Burke?

Lets call it £10m

Edited by DougJamie

22 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

We all hope every game he plays for us and country he outshines the lot. But like any young player he will have troughs as well as peaks, whichever clubs may be interested in him in January it will be the one that offers him the biggest signing on fee that will prevail. Why would they need to shell out £350 k, his signing fee, his wages and agree a sell on with us if they can promise him £100k and pick him up for the development fee?

i know we all love him,  but inam sure he and his agent know where the value lies.

Thats not always true.

Sure it plays a part but a player doesnt always jump simply coz a club offers a bigger wedge for them . 

28 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Morgan is the best U21 player in Scotland and I would imagine he would have a lot of suitors  and competition for his signature. Yes his agent will negotiate the potential deals for Lewis but if anyone really wants him then they would pay a decent fee in January to secure that signature or else it is a lottery at the end of the season. I know if I was managing a Championship level Club in Engerland £350k to SMFC would be small fry to get that boy's name on a contract for my Club. Why should an Englsigh  Championship Club piss about when they can get a talent like that?

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

Morgan is the best U21 player in Scotland and I would imagine he would have a lot of suitors  and competition for his signature. Yes his agent will negotiate the potential deals for Lewis but if anyone really wants him then they would pay a decent fee in January to secure that signature or else it is a lottery at the end of the season. I know if I was managing a Championship level Club in Engerland £350k to SMFC would be small fry to get that boy's name on a contract for my Club. Why should an Englsigh  Championship Club piss about when they can get a talent like that?

See above Sonny

Ur saying he is better than Olly Burke a £15m player................ hmmm ok, we agree we want more than 350k for him then ?:whistle

58 minutes ago, Frank McGarvey' wonky legs said:

Just imagine what price Falkirk would put on Lewis if they are knocking back 750k for a crap left back - Tony Gallacher

The chances of getting big money for clubs of our & Falkirk's standard usually decreases as the player gets older & the contract runs down - despite Falkirk banging the drums about there being plenty of interest in him that's two transfer windows gone by and he's still at the club. Throw in Falkirk's current league position and potential buyers having seen him play I'll be surprised if he goes for anywhere near £750K.

Spoiler

Mind you I've been wrong before. :wacko:

Edited by Bud the Baker

43 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Again, if there is more than one interested party, it will be the one that offers Lewis the best sign-on and wage deal to agree a PCA.

the reality is when a player gets to January on an expiring contract, if there is competition for his services the competitors will be dealing with Lewis's agent, and not the club as the club's bargaining chips have gone by then.

I see. Misunderstood what you were saying. :thumbs

3 hours ago, Soctty said:

Is there any chance of getting him to sign an extension? Would have to be something special, but who knows? If he's that important, giving him a bumper contract would cover any potential loss in terms of fee. Just a thought. 

Only if you put a gun to his head. :whistle

19 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Prime example is McAllister going to Derby for a similar fee plus add ons, to go directly into their development squad. £350k is washers to a lot of these clubs.

11 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

See above Sonny

Ur saying he is better than Olly Burke a £15m player................ hmmm ok, we agree we want more than 350k for him then ?:whistle

I am not necessarily saying it but whoever chose the MoM awards in the last two Scotland games certainly thinks so. I was at the last game and Lewis was certainly better than Burke.

To secure his signature and to eliminate any other competition I would be offering something for Lewis in Jan. I reckon we wont get any more than 350k as he is out of contract all too soon but I doubt SMFC would entertain offers around 100k. Personally he is as good if not better than  a couple of players that have recently gone down South for 6 figure sums but unfortunately the only bargaining chip we have is who wants to guarantee his signature.

21 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I agree a £350k transfer fee is no biggie to most eglish championship clubs, but why would they pay that if they can get Lewis to,sign a PCA for £100k?

then if they want him earlier, like Ross County with Naismith last season, they offer a wee sweetener if the club is interested.

4 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I am not necessarily saying it but whoever chose the MoM awards in the last two Scotland games certainly thinks so. I was at the last game and Lewis was certainly better than Burke.

To secure his signature and to eliminate any other competition I would be offering something for Lewis in Jan. I reckon we wont get any more than 350k as he is out of contract all too soon but I doubt SMFC would entertain offers around 100k. Personally he is as good if not better than  a couple of players that have recently gone down South for 6 figure sums but unfortunately the only bargaining chip we have is who wants to guarantee his signature.

I know i keep banging on about it, but clubs will be doung business with Morgan's agent, not SMFC. Our leverage has gone now, we just want him to keep us on top till he goes.

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

I agree a £350k transfer fee is no biggie to most eglish championship clubs, but why would they pay that if they can get Lewis to,sign a PCA for £100k?

then if they want him earlier, like Ross County with Naismith last season, they offer a wee sweetener if the club is interested.

If it becomes a bidding war with 2 or more clubs, it may come down to the highest bidder rather than a PCA to secure his services. 

Just now, kevo_smfc said:

If it becomes a bidding war with 2 or more clubs, it may come down to the highest bidder rather than a PCA to secure his services. 

Why?

they can and will save a fortune by bidding to offer him the best PCA. 

Why would they want to pay SMFC £350k, plus a slice of add-ons when they can negotiate quite legally the deal solely with his agent?

1 minute ago, kevo_smfc said:

There are two potential bidding scenarios

1. bidding with the club for immediate access to the player in January
  2. biding with the player to get him to sign a PCA.  

If the fee cranks up then it is the sign-on for the PCA that is most likely to increase

For me the most important thing is keeping him till the end of the season. Lewis leaves with a league winners medal, we get £100k development fee (or whatever we are due) and I'll be a happy buddie.
There is no chance of his agent letting him sign again for us. Let's just enjoy him terrorising our opponents all season [emoji469][emoji471]
COYS