Lewis Morgan

Sorry mate, the point I'm making is that clubs don't need to wait until January to sign him.  They can agree a PCA with him at the end of November.  The clubs that want pay cash to avoid getting into the Bosman free for all will do so this month, there little point afterwards.  Whilst I agree that Morgan will likely be advised to wait until he can be signed on a Bosman, this is only a month away.

Yeah this is it mate. It's a bit of a non-issue for me, because why wouldn't he wait? He's waited this long. One more month and he's got himself in a great position to have clubs playing off each other for a bigger wage. Makes perfect sense. Unfortunately St Mirren will be getting owed comp and nothing more :(

54 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

This is the whole point Kemp. If you're Lewis Morgan would you sign a deal offered to you now or would you wait a month or so and see what else comes in? There is no question that the sensible thing (and what his agent will say) is to wait.

It is sensible assuming he retains decent form (I think it has slipped a wee bit in recent weeks) and doesn't pick up an injury. Circumstances can change in the blink of an eye. Just look at Harry Davis.

How binding are PCAs, incidentally? Can a club walk away having agreed terms with the player in the event of injury, etc? On the flip side, can the player renage if a more attractive offer comes in? Genuine question.

It is sensible assuming he retains decent form (I think it has slipped a wee bit in recent weeks) and doesn't pick up an injury. Circumstances can change in the blink of an eye. Just look at Harry Davis.
How binding are PCAs, incidentally? Can a club walk away having agreed terms with the player in the event of injury, etc? On the flip side, can the player renage if a more attractive offer comes in? Genuine question.

Generally if the PCA is signed then it is binding. I think there have been some exceptional cases where it has been ripped up but it's rare

They're as binding as actual contracts mate. Appreciate the injury point but if the players waited this long it's likely a gamble worth taking. Would have to be a pretty serious injury to dent a move (which I know does happen) same argument could be made for him signing a deal previously with St Mirren which he hasn't done.

With a month to go before he can sign a pre-contract and the transfer window not even open I'd be very surprised if we see larger than comp bids coming in. I'd be equally surprised if Morgan signed one of them.

9 hours ago, Hambud said:

Richie Brittain managed to get out of one with St Jonno's but think it got a bit ugly. Can't really remember the details.

If I remember correctly he appealed to the fakes board and told them that he thought he had made a mistake by signing, due to family reasons, and they in turn decided ( quite rightly in my opinion) that it would be counter productive to try and force him to play for them when he wouldn't be able to give 100% to the cause, we are all human and we all make mistakes.

21 hours ago, bazil85 said:

So why would that be more money? If the development fee is less and a ore-contract means he's still a st Mirren player why would a club bid more then give him back anyway? Doesn't benefit the buying club in anyway.

I think you are misunderstanding..........I don't think it will happen, I was having a back and forth discussion with Drew on that very point. 

20 hours ago, BaldyOzBud said:

It may be naive of me, but the lad clearly stated that he wanted us to profit from any move he will make, until I am proven wrong then I'll take his word on it.

There were apparently a host of clubs chasing Kyle McAllister in January before he finally moved to Derby County, a team with a similar rep to Forrest. Kyle was making his mark in our first team, though opted for an early leave to England with 12 months remaining on his contract. Theres a very good chance that Forrest have made their interest known to the club and Lewis himself has been given some input. We could have a similar scenario with Lewis, with the only difference being that Morgan has less time remaining on his contract and go leave for compensation.

57 minutes ago, BaldyOzBud said:

If I remember correctly he appealed to the fakes board and told them that he thought he had made a mistake by signing, due to family reasons, and they in turn decided ( quite rightly in my opinion) that it would be counter productive to try and force him to play for them when he wouldn't be able to give 100% to the cause, we are all human and we all make mistakes.

It cost Ross Co £40k to sort it all out.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/battle-richard-brittain-finally-ends-2005278.amp

1 minute ago, kevo_smfc said:

There were apparently a host of clubs chasing Kyle McAllister in January before he finally moved to Derby County, a team with a similar rep to Forrest. Kyle was making his mark in our first team, though opted for an early leave to England with 12 months remaining on his contract. Theres a very good chance that Forrest have made their interest known to the club and Lewis himself has been given some input. We could have a similar scenario with Lewis, with the only difference being that Morgan has less time remaining on his contract and go leave for compensation.

Agreed mate, this is his livelihood and there is no doubt that this could turn out exactly the same, I tend to take the view that until it is confirmed ( or not) then I'll go with what he has said.

The reason clubs make offers of more than a compensation amount - as Forest are allegedly set to - is that it puts them ahead of other interested parties. Rather than wait and see how much Celtic or anyone else bid, they can get in early with a bid we are receptive to and get negotiations done before it goes to a blind auction on personal terms. As stated earlier in the thread, West Ham paid £1 million for Stephen Hendrie from Hamilton at the end of January, despite him being out of contract in the summer, then loaned him back, so these things can happen.

Best to wait and see what does happen than make sweeping statements either way.

Whilst Bazil’s summary is of course completely accurate, it makes one very simple assumption. That being that Lewis Morgan will be quite happy to see Saints shafted in order to feather his own nest. 

Whilst this approach would probably be taken by a large majority of modern day players, not all players are like that. For example, when Steven Naismith signed for Rangers, didn’t he give his entire signing on fee back to Killie to invest in their youth set up?

All the noises coming from Jack and more importantly Lewis, is that they both want to find a solution that works for both the club and the player.

Until something different happens, I’m willing to put a bit of faith in the wee man’s principles.

Whilst Bazil’s summary is of course completely accurate, it makes one very simple assumption. That being that Lewis Morgan will be quite happy to see Saints shafted in order to feather his own nest. 
Whilst this approach would probably be taken by a large majority of modern day players, not all players are like that. For example, when Steven Naismith signed for Rangers, didn’t he give his entire signing on fee back to Killie to invest in their youth set up?
All the noises coming from Jack and more importantly Lewis, is that they both want to find a solution that works for both the club and the player.
Until something different happens, I’m willing to put a bit of faith in the wee man’s principles.

Would love if he did this, st Mirren saved him from football wilderness after leaving Rangers. Unfortunately the closer it gets the less likely I think he'll sign a new contract.

50 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Would love if he did this, st Mirren saved him from football wilderness after leaving Rangers. Unfortunately the closer it gets the less likely I think he'll sign a new contract.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think he’ll sign a new contract.  I was referring to you saying why would he take an offer from a club looking to buy him in January when he could just sign a PCA and make more money for himself. 

I seem to remember a statement from Lewis at the beginning of the season where he said that he was more than happy to stay with us until the end of the season and would love for the club to make a decent return on any transfer for him when he leaves, he has a great relationship with Jack and James and wouldn't want to leave without the club getting a reasonable pay off when the inevitable comes to pass.

I’m sure JR has said likewise in interviews.

From today's Scotsman ...

Forest prepare Morgan bid

Nottingham Forest are reportedly preparing a bid in the region of £400,000 for St Mirren starlet Lewis Morgan.

The youngster has been watched by a host of clubs and has also been linked with Rangers, but with Morgan out of contract in the summer, the chance to have a crack at the English Championship could scupper the Gers’ chances. (Various)

9 minutes ago, Sonny said:

From today's Scotsman ...

Forest prepare Morgan bid

Nottingham Forest are reportedly preparing a bid in the region of £400,000 for St Mirren starlet Lewis Morgan.

The youngster has been watched by a host of clubs and has also been linked with Rangers, but with Morgan out of contract in the summer, the chance to have a crack at the English Championship could scupper the Gers’ chances. (Various)

That would do me.