Lewis Morgan

13 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

Why do you need to put a negative spin on a positive? The player refused to sign a new deal. We cannot do anything else other than offer him the best terms we can and even at that if the player wants to move, then so let it be. The boy has his head screwed on and even wants the club to benefit a better return than we would have got in the summer.

Do you really think 300k (let's forget add-ons) is a terrible deal for a player who will walk for peanuts in the summer?

Yes because they should have made a deal with him last year... lets say double wages, and a 10-15% of any transfer in duration of new contract over £300k... his agent would have bitten your arm off for that, instead we let him run down his contract, get rear ended again by the old firm, and hope, against actual results so far that he generates an add on.

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

I do find it strange the amount of posters commenting positively on the Lewis Morgan fiasco as yet again the club turns, bends and takes it up the Gary Glitter from the Old Firm.

Getting £300k and a loan till season end, then (with the blessing of Allah) facing said star ripping us a new one at least four times next season... oh yes then there's the add-ons, funny thing is we havent seen a penny in add-ons thus far, and if Mallan& McAllister etc forge a decent career in the lower leagues down south we may never see a bean in add-ons.

why on earth was Morgan not offered a bumper two-year contract over a year a go that would have kept the club in the driving seat, and seen a seven figure fee up front, with add-ons next summer..?

ask yourself... how much have Dundee Utd seen thus far in add-ons from Parkhead..? 

Surprised they havent put the January sale sign up yet... Bargain Basement.

IMG_1564.JPG

Morgan didn't want to sign a two year contract, it was nothing financial but were we really in a position to break the bank roughly this time last year while sitting adrift in the Championship?

Take away all the add ons in transfers over recent years and exchange them for a rough cash value, add that cash value up then let me know if you think it would be more than the expected seven figures we'll get from the McGinn deal? Deals are always risk and reward, clubs do several in the hope that one sticks. IMO we've done very well in selling players for a club our size. It's no secret smaller clubs get shafted, in the circumstances we do as well as expected. 

As for the picture... Please! Fans have to put their pride away on this one. Celtic asked to use our stadium, paid for it, they had every right to sell merchandise on the day. 

22 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

McLean was a good Deal for Aberdeen

McGinn was a good deal fir Hibs

Naismith was a good deal for County

McAllister was a good deal for Derby

Mallan was a good deal for Barnsley

Morgan is a good deal for Celtic....

theres six clubs that know how to get a good deal for themselves, notice anyone missing off that list..?

Thank you for making my point. 

The only players on your list who I would say we are extremely unlikely to make anything on are Naismith and McLean. Naismith was hardly ever going to become some superstar who County we’re going to make a fortune on at our expense. Also I’m already on record as saying I don’t think McLean is much cop. Aberdeen won’t make anything on him either.

All of the others it’s entirely possible could generate future revenue for us and if they don’t it’ll be because the weren’t good enough, so why should those clubs pay us over the odds.

The way I look at it, the transfer fee takes account of the player as he is now, and the sell on takes care of his potential.

i would love it if Scottish Championship players commanded bigger fees, but the fact is they don’t. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

16 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

McLean was a good Deal for Aberdeengentleman agreement, Kenny wouldn't of signed otherwise, if we welched on it then we'd have had reputation issues. We got something where as if we hadn't had gentleman's agreement we would of had 0. 

McGinn was a good deal fir Hibs - 33% sell-on isn't looking too hot a deal know

Naismith was a good deal for County - He was going through a poor run of form and needed a change, mutely beneficial. Would of got £0 in summer and he was in no way missed second half of last season. 

McAllister was a good deal for Derby - Funds saved us from the drop and he hasn't kicked a ball in almost a year, debatable who got the better deal.

Mallan was a good deal for Barnsley - Agreed if he breaks into the team, potential we could see him back for six months of this season. If that was the case I'd say tide has turned on who got the best of the deal

Morgan is a good deal for Celtic.... - TBC 

theres six clubs that know how to get a good deal for themselves, notice anyone missing off that list..? To answer your question you've missed St Mirren who clearly got the best of sum of those deals. 

3 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

So we would have been paying him twice as much (however much that is) for the last year and then he goes for £300k which means that we get 10-15% of hee-haw and don't get any add-ons.  All that results in is us having paid him more money with absolutely no prospect of any future income from his transfer (if you don't count the £300k that we are getting anyway) and therefore we are "out of pocket" compared to this deal.

You never really thought this through, did you?

Thanks for completely missing out the word "Over" £300k in my post you quoted, and the genuine possibility if he was under contract to us going into the summer he would attract bids more than double what has been reported as accepted. You really need to read posts before commenting, and perhaps thinking it through?

10 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

So we would have been paying him twice as much (however much that is) for the last year and then he goes for £300k which means that we get 10-15% of hee-haw and don't get any add-ons.  All that results in is us having paid him more money with absolutely no prospect of any future income from his transfer (if you don't count the £300k that we are getting anyway) and therefore we are "out of pocket" compared to this deal.

You never really thought this through, did you?

Plus the many points he has massively contributed to matches over last season and a bit. Understand he is on  £900 a week.......

Morgan will be a Celtic regular within 2 years, great move for the boy

Stop being so selfish:ph34r: 

Yes because they should have made a deal with him last year... lets say double wages, and a 10-15% of any transfer in duration of new contract over £300k... his agent would have bitten your arm off for that, instead we let him run down his contract, get rear ended again by the old firm, and hope, against actual results so far that he generates an add on.

There was a deal made last year. Its been known for sometime at the club that Lewis was wanting to move on. You can throw a player a contract all day long though doesn't necessarily mean he will accept it. He feels the time is to move on and further his career and rightly so.

Double wages for 12 months?  10% of a transfer fee?  No agent in his right mind would "bite your arm off" for a deal as poor as that.  It's peanuts compared to what he's getting soon.  And how do you keep the rest of the squad happy by paying double wages to just one player?  Delusional just about sums it up!

My final comment on the deal, if you think its a good deal (and your not Lewis Morgan, or Brendan Rodgers) thats fine. Personally i think this is another case of the club saying "but we're just wee diddy st mirren, and there like Shellic... and we cannae dae this, or dae that" and it is a recurring theme, us selling/letting go highly regarded talent for well below what we should.

T.I.S.M.

This Is St Mirren

3 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

I do find it strange the amount of posters commenting positively on the Lewis Morgan fiasco as yet again the club turns, bends and takes it up the Gary Glitter from the Old Firm.

Getting £300k and a loan till season end, then (with the blessing of Allah) facing said star ripping us a new one at least four times next season... oh yes then there's the add-ons, funny thing is we havent seen a penny in add-ons thus far, and if Mallan& McAllister etc forge a decent career in the lower leagues down south we may never see a bean in add-ons.

why on earth was Morgan not offered a bumper two-year contract over a year a go that would have kept the club in the driving seat, and seen a seven figure fee up front, with add-ons next summer..?

ask yourself... how much have Dundee Utd seen thus far in add-ons from Parkhead..? 

IMG_1564.JPG

At the risk of being accused of being a Bully  by your possee... A couple of things. 

Offer him a bumper contract a year ago ?  When exactly ?  Do we offer it when we were sitting rock bottom of the league and staring relegation in the face ?

Or what about a we bit earlier when SMISA deal had just gone through , i can imagine your reaction if the incoming board had spunked all that money on someone who has only ever played at this level.

You said we would get peanuts and he would simply sign a PCA and walk away .

LPM Quote  " just enjoy whilst you can, it is a sickener we are going to lose out on about £300k yet again though" 

LPM quote . "Why would any club pay hundreds of thousands to sign a player from a much lower level in January when they can get him for almost nowt in June..? Unless some sugar daddy steps forward and gives Lewis a huge wedge and £15k a week he will spend gn a PCA and go then or in June".

LPM Quote. "he is a good player, with a decent future ahead, but he is shining in the Scottish second tier, so being realistic which club will pay £300-350k for him in January, when they can agree a PCA that sees him pick up maybe as much as £100k for saving his new club over £200k..?"

So if the reports are true and the club has managed to get a £300K fee, add ons and a possible loan back , would you be ready to admit you got it terribly worong again or alternatively admit that you are shit stirring yet again .

My final comment on the deal, if you think its a good deal (and your not Lewis Morgan, or Brendan Rodgers) thats fine. Personally i think this is another case of the club saying "but we're just wee diddy st mirren, and there like Shellic... and we cannae dae this, or dae that" and it is a recurring theme, us selling/letting go highly regarded talent for well below what we should.
T.I.S.M.
This Is St Mirren

What would you say is a fair deal for a player with 6 months left on his contract? We get to keep him till end of the season as part of the deal. We could have easily have sold this summer for 200k offered with no loan back involved. Find it hard to see where you are coming from? Fair enough if he had 2 years left on his contract and we only sold for 300k

28 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

T.I.S.M.

This Is St Mirren

You say that like there's something St Mirren can do about it. No one is saying it's right and no one is disagreeing with you that it sucks but it's well documented that's the way things are. They big wee small. As much as it sticks in the throat there's nothing St Mirren or any other club at this level can change. 

If you disagree with that, I'd love to hear your solution? 

16 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

You say that like there's something St Mirren can do about it. No one is saying it's right and no one is disagreeing with you that it sucks but it's well documented that's the way things are. They big wee small. As much as it sticks in the throat there's nothing St Mirren or any other club at this level can change. 

If you disagree with that, I'd love to hear your solution? 

I think we could do better than 12-1 against PSG- Just saying 

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

So if the reports are true and the club has managed to get a £300K fee, add ons and a possible loan back , would you be ready to admit you got it terribly worong again or alternatively admit that you are shit stirring yet again .

I'll go for both of the above.:)

4 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

IMG_1564.JPG

What are you vomiting about?

A "bumper" contract? What would you consider this to be? A grand a week? 2 grand a week? 3? 4? We really need to know what you consider a "bumper contract" before we can begin to pick apart your argument to the extent it deserves. 

Reading on, you think we'd get a 7 figure offer for Lewis - which particular planet is it that you call home? We're a championship club, Lewis is a championship player. And you think him signing a 2 year deal a year ago would have made a huge difference here? Clubs would have bided their time and Lewis would have - in spite of his good nature and loyalty to the club - got pissed off with us asking for over a million pounds for him.

Thank the lord above that you are not in any position of power at the club...

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

At the risk of being accused of being a Bully  by your possee... A couple of things. 

Offer him a bumper contract a year ago ?  When exactly ?  Do we offer it when we were sitting rock bottom of the league and staring relegation in the face ?

Or what about a we bit earlier when SMISA deal had just gone through , i can imagine your reaction if the incoming board had spunked all that money on someone who has only ever played at this level.

You said we would get peanuts and he would simply sign a PCA and walk away .

LPM Quote  " just enjoy whilst you can, it is a sickener we are going to lose out on about £300k yet again though" 

LPM quote . "Why would any club pay hundreds of thousands to sign a player from a much lower level in January when they can get him for almost nowt in June..? Unless some sugar daddy steps forward and gives Lewis a huge wedge and £15k a week he will spend gn a PCA and go then or in June".

LPM Quote. "he is a good player, with a decent future ahead, but he is shining in the Scottish second tier, so being realistic which club will pay £300-350k for him in January, when they can agree a PCA that sees him pick up maybe as much as £100k for saving his new club over £200k..?"

Watch out, BoK will be on accusing you of playing the man, when it's flippin obvious the man loves being played. 

4 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Plus the many points he has massively contributed to matches over last season and a bit. Understand he is on  £900 a week.......

Morgan will be a Celtic regular within 2 years, great move for the boy

Stop being so selfish:ph34r: 

Yup, better than Forest IMO Will almost certainly be a full  Scotland international before long. 

McLean was a good Deal for Aberdeen
McGinn was a good deal fir Hibs
Naismith was a good deal for County
McAllister was a good deal for Derby
Mallan was a good deal for Barnsley
Morgan is a good deal for Celtic....
theres six clubs that know how to get a good deal for themselves, notice anyone missing off that list..?
St Mirren got a good deal when they signed McLean.
St mirren got a good deal when they signed Morgan.
St mirren got a good deal when they signed Mccalister.
St mirren got a good deal when they signed Carey.
St Mirren got a good deal when they signed Paul McGowan.
St mirren got a good deal when they signed Broadfoot.