Lewis Morgan

1 hour ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

Fully understand that like others we are a selling club it's just that we seem nowadays to get just small change for our best players.Lewis is without doubt one of the most gifted and exciting players that I have seen in over sixty years of supporting Saints.For heavens sake this is 2018 we got nearly a million quid for Ferguson thirty years ago and around £400k for Clarke a couple of years earlier so now £300k for Morgan is just ludicrous in my opinion there is just no logic whatsoever.

If we have any sell-on fees included, we could well make back a further return if his move turns out as successful as i personally believe.  A player heading out of contract, we got the best possible deal under the circumstances.

We got Carey and Gowser for nothing back a few years ago off of them.

30 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

And to think of the abuse that some people ( not you obviously) were giving David Longwell who done an excellent job with the young players.

Longwell is one person that some fans should acknowledge done a great job for the club.

Haven't seen one comment ever 'abusing' Longwell or saying he was doing anything but an excellent job. 

1 minute ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

It's great the talent is coming through but for whatever reason we are not getting great money compared to what the likes of Falkirk and Hamilton were able to command.Morgan is certainly one of the best talents I have observed in many years supporting Saints.

The money we get is all relevant to contracts. We've been unfortunate not to have a situation where a player stars like Morgan but still has 2 or 3 years to run. If that happened then we would be seeing bigger transfers. That's just part of being a football club. Younger players hold a lot of control in contract negotiations. I'm sure last year we tried to get Morgan to sign longer than a year extension. 

18 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Why doubtful?  Check out some of the younger talent we have. Ethan Erharon played a first team game at 16 and is capped at Under 17 and 16 level. And we have a young lad who is captain of the Scotland U15(?) squad. Still talent coming through.

Another of Longwell's signings as far as I know . I wasn't talking about the current crop coming through, more so the ones that have been signed up since he left .

I am happy that we have him to season end- he will be inspired and in a good place to really help the cause

The money side is pathetic so I agree with comments above, if we get 260k for Mallan we should get 750k for Morgan

Last season Cummings at Hibs was 1.2 m, and of course McGinn will be way over that............... I think Morgan is better than Cummings, the guy who famously got Hibs relegated by his stone wall misses...... struggling with a bottom third Chamionship team,

I think there is more to this, and the relationship that JR has with BR, I can see some other loanees coming our way if we get promoted..........

We have always been stepping stones.....

Fitzy 250k

McGarvey 300k

But you could argue with the obvious exceptions of Ian Ferguson, Stark and Macca, most bombed .....................

Still think it should/could have been 500k plus him back, but the loaned back part is the reason to why we are not getting what he is worth......

Promotion is worth a lot to us, so that has been a factor,  but Tic sure have taken advantage of it

To Lewis Morgan,    fair play to you buddie.. you could have held off and we'd have got little or nothing.. but you thank us in two and perhaps three ways:-

1. £300,000 to this club - much needed and will be re-invested well we hope.

2. You are staying to get a winners medal... and that will make you a legend of sorts to all of us who are fans etc.

AND

3.  I suspect there is a sell on clause.. and we therefore may well benefit in future.

We salute you and wish you an incredible future... especially over the next 5 months....

We also hope you become a Scottish International and we do better as a nation in your era...

All the best for the future

9 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

To Lewis Morgan,    fair play to you buddie.. you could have held off and we'd have got little or nothing.. but you thank us in two and perhaps three ways:-

1. £300,000 to this club - much needed and will be re-invested well we hope.

2. You are staying to get a winners medal... and that will make you a legend of sorts to all of us who are fans etc.

AND

3.  I suspect there is a sell on clause.. and we therefore may well benefit in future.

We salute you and wish you an incredible future... especially over the next 5 months....

We also hope you become a Scottish International and we do better as a nation in your era...

All the best for the future

100% Agree

56 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Haven't seen one comment ever 'abusing' Longwell or saying he was doing anything but an excellent job. 

There have been numerous over time, mainly from one guy who I won't mention, but whose wife I assumed Longwell must have shagged...

He did a brilliant job here, which is probably why he's now got a very good job in the states.

1 hour ago, munoz said:

Aye true , but we were in the top division when we sold both Fergie and Clarke , and tbh Scottish football still had a decent reputation for producing quality players back then. 

Also, we were able to pay transfer fees of 3 or 4 hundred thousand pounds for players. A different time, where the finances were very different. You didn't risk losing players for nothing when they went out of contract for one thing.

It's a bargain for Celtic but as pointed out above Morgan could have walked away for nothing.  The manner in which John McGinn walked out was particularly distasteful with stage managed trips to the USA etc and its nice to see someone looking to pay the club back for what they have done to them.

I think Jack Ross has done very well here to get a fairly good deal for the club, and Lewis has trusted him to get a good move for him.  His agent may well have been advising otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Kemp said:

It's a bargain for Celtic but as pointed out above Morgan could have walked away for nothing.  The manner in which John McGinn walked out was particularly distasteful with stage managed trips to the USA etc and its nice to see someone looking to pay the club back for what they have done to them.

I think Jack Ross has done very well here to get a fairly good deal for the club, and Lewis has trusted him to get a good move for him.  His agent may well have been advising otherwise.

This.

Absolutely this.

On 03/01/2018 at 7:55 PM, Stockholmbud said:

Mates  a shareholder that's the word coming from rangers 

On 03/01/2018 at 7:59 PM, faraway saint said:

Suppose it'll come out in the wash and if it's true you know you can trust him, if not you know he talks shite.

Time will tell. 

Ach well, never fails to amaze me, people here a story from somewhere, more than likely a bag of shite, but post it anyway.

Mind tell your "mate" he needs to stop making stuff up..................or get him to join the forum. 

1 hour ago, kevo_smfc said:

If we have any sell-on fees included, we could well make back a further return if his move turns out as successful as i personally believe.  A player heading out of contract, we got the best possible deal under the circumstances.

We got Carey and Gowser for nothing back a few years ago off of them.

15% sell on I heard .

44 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

I am happy that we have him to season end- he will be inspired and in a good place to really help the cause

The money side is pathetic so I agree with comments above, if we get 260k for Mallan we should get 750k for Morgan

Last season Cummings at Hibs was 1.2 m, and of course McGinn will be way over that............... I think Morgan is better than Cummings, the guy who famously got Hibs relegated by his stone wall misses...... struggling with a bottom third Chamionship team,

I think there is more to this, and the relationship that JR has with BR, I can see some other loanees coming our way if we get promoted..........

We have always been stepping stones.....

Fitzy 250k

McGarvey 300k

But you could argue with the obvious exceptions of Ian Ferguson, Stark and Macca, most bombed .....................

Still think it should/could have been 500k plus him back, but the loaned back part is the reason to why we are not getting what he is worth......

Promotion is worth a lot to us, so that has been a factor,  but Tic sure have taken advantage of it

Mallan had 12 months left on his contract.  It is as simple as that. Morgan would have walked for similar in the summer through dev fee. 

"I got written off here by St Mirren fans when I was coming through - that's part and parcel of football," Morgan said.

"People want big names and I think any player in Scotland maybe doesn't get the credit they deserve, the level of football is better than most people give credit for.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42563192

Interesting comments from Lewis.

The young man deserves even more respect for his loyalty and willingness to repay the club through performances, transfer fee and desire to help win the league. 

All of that despite being on the receiving end of abuse from some of the numpties in our support. 

Edited by Maboza

5 minutes ago, Maboza said:

"I got written off here by St Mirren fans when I was coming through - that's part and parcel of football," Morgan said.

"People want big names and I think any player in Scotland maybe doesn't get the credit they deserve, the level of football is better than most people give credit for.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42563192

Interesting comments from Lewis.

The young man deserves even more respect for his loyalty and willingness to repay the club through performances, transfer fee and desire to help win the league. 

All of that despite being on the receiving end of abuse from some of the numpties in our support.  Forum

Yup