Lewis Morgan

Guest TPAFKATS
Your comment is atrocious and you should feel shame attacking a fellow st mirren supporter. Happy to meet you and find out why you think its ok to call someone you no nothing about a C... 
You ok, hon?

If the deals is as rumoured indeed done then we have just made £300,000 and still have the use of a player who would have left at the end of the season for hee haw , IMO this is a great deal for the club and the boy has more than repaid us.

I dont understand how no-one can see a positive outcome out of this when the player was always intending to leave. It also builds a relationship with Brendan Rodgers (as much as we hate the old firm yes I know) to look at future dealings.

In my opinion Lewis only started to show signs of a great player from the Livingston cup game last summer (in a relegation threatened season) and he has never looked back. Beforehand he was very lightweight and had to work on his game and could barely beat a player. His quick turnaround into the player he is today though is phenomenal.

As mentioned before, he always intended to take the next step in his career just like John McGinn did after repeated offers on the table of a new contract, so we cant look back and say we should have offered him a ridiculous amount of money at a time when we were almost heading for league 1. He was offered a contract and made his intentions clear to JR that he wanted to move on.

We were offered 200k in the summer, thats less than we have been offered now for a player close to walking for nowt. We get to keep him a while longer and may also score a loan player or two out of the deal.

Some forget we are playing in the championship and have struggled the last 3 seasons.

3 hours ago, shull said:

Morgan has sold us short. 

He could easily have signed a 2 or 3 year extension to his present Contract  in the summer. 

Absolutely no detriment to himself. 

He would still have got his major move with a few Clubs bidding for him. 

And I am guessing we would have got at least a Million Pounds for him. 

No detriment to him apart from the buying club having to pay more. I'd say the buying club having to pay less puts Morgan and his agent in a better position to negotiate a higher wage/ sign on clause apart from that I agree with you (I know shock horror)

I'm surprised that some people don't think we'd get seven figures for Morgan if he was on a long-term deal. I'd imagine the club would set a value which would be easily a million+ or no deal, we'll sell him in another window. 

3 hours ago, David Mc said:

In “normal circumstances” Morgan is a £1m player. No suggestion of an offer of this magnitude though. Think from the article reference to cheap at last in part because we wanted the player loaned back.

It's cheap because his contract is up in six months buddie. He can sign a pre-contract deal for comp in 11 days. Loan back deal has nothing to do with it. If he signed a pre-contract deal it would effectively be like he was being loaned back so price will be whatever comp we're due nothing more. 

2 hours ago, southsidebud said:

Getting £300k and a loan back till the end of the season is probably about the best we could have hoped for (especially since £200k bids were coming in when he had a full year on his contract).

He could have sat tight and then walked for £0 at then end of the season.

He's probably done the best for himself whilst at the same time trying to leave the club something.

All in all it's a good compromise.

Then again - you know what they say about a good compromise... :-)

He couldn't go for £0 we'd still be owed comp. The £300k figure we're getting quoted is around about the comp we're owed. 

4 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

He couldn't go for £0 we'd still be owed comp. The £300k figure we're getting quoted is around about the comp we're owed. 

The comp is nothing near £300k. 

He's only been with us since he was 15. Think closer to £100k/£150k. 

Edited by Maboza

I thought we didn't have any compensation rights as we didn't have him on our books long enough.

I'd be surprised if we'd get anywhere near £300K even if we were owed something.

Does anyone know for certain what the situation would have been if Lewis had waited it out?

Just now, Maboza said:

The comp is nothing near £300k. 

He's only been with us since he was 15. Think closer to £100/£150k. 

The comp is based on first team appearances as well man, it will be very close to £300k, if it's only £100k or so why wouldn't Celtic just wait 10 days and sign him on a pre-contract? they'd save themselves £200k, he'd still be a St Mirren player like a loan back deal and they could use the money saved to sweeten the deal for Morgan.

The example someone used on Facebook last night was how much we were owed for McGinn and how much Rangers were owed for Telfor. Both at respective clubs since youth for roughly same time, both compensation values. Only difference was McGinn first team appearances and we were owed more than double. 

1 minute ago, southsidebud said:

I thought we didn't have any compensation rights as we didn't have him on our books long enough.

I'd be surprised if we'd get anywhere near £300K even if we were owed something.

Does anyone know for certain what the situation would have been if Lewis had waited it out?

You're owed comp for any player 22 or under that you've offered a longer more expensive contract to,  the difference depends on appearances plus time at club. Just posted an example but the comp will be whatever he goes for. Again I said it above but if the comp was less Celtic would just wait the 11 days until 1st January and sign him on a pre-contract. 

10 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

The comp is based on first team appearances as well man, it will be very close to £300k, if it's only £100k or so why wouldn't Celtic just wait 10 days and sign him on a pre-contract? they'd save themselves £200k, he'd still be a St Mirren player like a loan back deal and they could use the money saved to sweeten the deal for Morgan.

The example someone used on Facebook last night was how much we were owed for McGinn and how much Rangers were owed for Telfor. Both at respective clubs since youth for roughly same time, both compensation values. Only difference was McGinn first team appearances and we were owed more than double. 

Because the risk is that if a club the size of Burton came in and offered Morgan a huge pay bump, they are a lower grade club than the likes of Celtic, Nottingham Forest, Derby, Preston and we would effectively have been due next to nothing in compensation. The £200-£300k compensation figure only applied if Lewis wen't to a significantly larger club. If he decided to go to a smaller club for a guarantee of first team football and a pay hike, we'd have been due a fraction of the compensation.

23 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Not sure on the accuracy of this site but by my calculations on dates it equates to €210,000 compensation. 

He signed in Sept 2013. (so was with us for 2 seasons as a Premiership club)

By the time his contract expires in the summer it would be an additional 3 years at Championship level. 

http://trainingcompensationcalculator.com

St. Mirren Football Club
Scottish Premiership - 2 years Compensation: 120 000 EUR

St. Mirren Football Club
Scottish Championship - 3 years Compensation: 90 000 EUR

Total: 210 000 EUR

Reading some of the posts on this threads certainly proved it is the pantomime season :lol:   He is going so fans should just get their head round that fact and enjoy watching him for the rest of the season, instead of bitching how much money we might or should get and what team he sign for.

22 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Because the risk is that if a club the size of Burton came in and offered Morgan a huge pay bump, they are a lower grade club than the likes of Celtic, Nottingham Forest, Derby, Preston and we would effectively have been due next to nothing in compensation. The £200-£300k compensation figure only applied if Lewis wen't to a significantly larger club. If he decided to go to a smaller club for a guarantee of first team football and a pay hike, we'd have been due a fraction of the compensation.

I get that but offering more money does not stop Morgan saying 'I'm going to wait and look at my options on the 1st.' There is no value of money that puts a team in a stronger position right now, the power all sits with Morgan. From newspaper and interviews it looks like he's made his mind up to go to Celtic so Celtic (like any club) will try get him for cheapest possible option. That's why the comp owed will be what we get and not a penny more. 

10 minutes ago, Maboza said:

Not sure on the accuracy of this site but by my calculations on dates it equates to €210,000 compensation. 

He signed in Sept 2013. (so was with us for 2 seasons as a Premiership club)

By the time his contract expires in the summer it would be an additional 3 years at Championship level. 

http://trainingcompensationcalculator.com

St. Mirren Football Club
Scottish Premiership - 2 years Compensation: 120 000 EUR

St. Mirren Football Club
Scottish Championship - 3 years Compensation: 90 000 EUR

Total: 210 000 EUR

I imagine it'll be pretty close man, I can't get into it on my work computer but I imagine the rest of the quoted £300k is made up with appearances @ Scotland youth levels including U21 and first team appearances. 

12 minutes ago, renfrew said:

Reading some of the posts on this threads certainly proved it is the pantomime season :lol:   He is going so fans should just get their head round that fact and enjoy watching him for the rest of the season, instead of bitching how much money we might or should get and what team he sign for.

Could you not apply that logic to almost every single thread on here and then just close the webpage? :wacko:

5 minutes ago, andrew87 said:

No idea what the rumoured add ons will be but I assume there would be none if he had just signed a pre-contract.

Correct.

Anyway this link should provide you all with some mirth. :)

https://www.footballfancast.com/scottish-premier/rangers/rangers-fans-arent-happy-with-lewis-morgans-imminent-move-to-celtic

Surely this transfer (if confirmed) is a good deal for all concerned. 

We could have sold him for £200,000 Last Summer - We didn't - Good Decision

We could hold on to him till the summer of 2018 and get Zilch - We don't appear to be doing that - Good Decision

We look like we will be able to keep him till the end of the season - A good decision

We look like we are going to get £300,000 + Add on's. - Good Decision To Me.

Of course:

Should PSG feel like giving us £5,000,000 from their Petty Cash Box..................

If that happened then I really would be convinced that Santa is climbing down my chimney on 25 December but it already feels like that!

8 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Oh Dear- it gets worse Sevco lovers..... Tony Pulis-  Think that be Swansea with a salary of 3m and a war chest of millions....... or of course he could want 500k, potential of 2025s season ticket income 

They don't have any money for Lewis as they are shelving out his 300k fee to Pena and Alves each month................. Fannies

1 minute ago, St.Ricky said:

Surely this transfer (if confirmed) is a good deal for all concerned. 

We could have sold him for £200,000 Last Summer - We didn't - Good Decision

We could hold on to him till the summer of 2018 and get Zilch - We don't appear to be doing that - Good Decision

We look like we will be able to keep him till the end of the season - A good decision

We look like we are going to get £300,000 + Add on's. - Good Decision To Me.

Of course:

Should PSG feel like giving us £5,000,000 from their Petty Cash Box..................

If that happened then I really would be convinced that Santa is climbing down my chimney on 25 December but it already feels like that!

Did u do that post on a 1938 Typewriter :D

Edited by DougJamie

3 hours ago, shull said:

Morgan signing a decent length of Contract for us would have helped. 

So would you as a player, gamble on furthering your career waiting for someone to coming in and offering in the region of one million plus.   I know what my answer would be, look after number one. 

26 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Not correct, if he signed a pre-contract you still have to pay the compensation, that's not just a sum of cash (can be but nothing to say it has to be). The buying club can offer on what portion is cash, what is add-ons and what is sell on percentage but the overall perceived value will be whatever the compensation is. Look at John McGinn, the comp owed was higher than what hibs wanted to pay, we refused to budge until they made up the shortfall with a 33% sell-on clause. 

Example - say we were owed £500k comp for Morgan, we could demand that but Celtic might say 'how about £300k and a 15% sell on' if there is a stalemate it goes to tribunal. They can then uphold the £500k owed or deem the offer of £300k + 15% is reasonable.