Lewis Morgan

I'll buck the trend here but the club should be putting out feelers just now to see who might be interested in Lewis (we're on first  name terms) and how much they'd be willing to pay. There'll be a difficult decision to make  with 6 months left on his contract in January no club might be willing to pay the sorta money we'd want to let him go. Hopefully like the summer window some sorta arrangement will be reached between Lewis & the club.  If he's to go it'd be best to get it done early rather than a deadline day deal.

The fact there are so many players that could quite fairly be given MOTM (Reilly, McShane, C SMITH etc) makes me think that we aren't quite as reliant on him as some think so I kind of agree maybe we cash in if suits him and us. I'd much rather we keep him but if it's good for him and us then so be it. I'd much he stays and signs an extended contract.

2 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

What I would welcome is for us to draw the Old Firm away in one of the cup competitions and see LM at his best.  The world of football would soon wake-up.

The big flaw in this is there is no Old Firm anymore. One of the @rsecheeks  died. But I get your point.

Enjoy this lad while we have him. He is a joy to watch and whenever he gets the ball he gets you on the edge of your seat. Not many in our country that can do that.

We have had some great young players coming through over the last few years such McLean, McGinn, Mallan, McAllister to name a few but Morgan IMO is the best we have produced in years.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Why would any club pay hundreds of thousands to sign a player from a much lower level in January when they can get him for almost nowt in June..? Unless some sugar daddy steps forward and gives Lewis a huge wedge and £15k a week he will spend gn a PCA and go then or in June.

If Lewis continues with his current form he will be a player in demand.

Any club interested knows they will face stiff competition for his serevices so they may well be prepared to get in early & sign him rather than risk watching him go elsewhere when free.

11 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Morgan is very much a man on form , and if he was playing for one of the old firm , would be under consideration for a call up for the full international squad . Also interesting to note that his game seems to improve during the last quarter , he,s got an amazing engine . Loved the way he ran back 30 yards to keep the ball in , then turn round and run at the Inverness full back , also loved the way he ran at the Inverness defence , when he passed it on to Reilly instead of shooting himself . Genuinely believe Strachan should consider using Lewis as an impact player in our forthcoming world cup qualifiers .

With regards to Morgan moving on , I tend to agree with Bud the Baker , and think we should be trying to encourage decent offers in January , we should also be looking to use some of the incoming cash to bring in a replacement ( Lewis Vaughan from Raith ) 

Would be quite happy though if Lewis stayed with us until the end of the season 

is it just me , but does anyone else think he plays a like George Best

I mentioned the run back and keeping the ball in at the time , tremendous appetite for the game !

And you're not the only one who's mentioning the Best comparison , I heard a few talking about it yesterday !

Like most others have said, I reckon there may be a few small bids in Jan as he is only contracted to the end of the season.

We should therefore just keep him till the end of the season as we are more likely to go up with him in the team - the financial boost of which would totally eclipse the £50k - £100k that is likely to be tabled.

10 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Any club interested knows they will face stiff competition for his serevices so they may well be prepared to get in early & sign him rather than risk watching him go elsewhere when free.

Ok try thinking this through. 

The club have a figure they would accept for his transfer whch is rumoured to be £350k (no idea if that is so) so if we go with that, and accept there were bids before the window closed of £200-250k that were rejected then it would appear the club arent selling for less than £300k or he would already have gone.

he becomes a free agent next June, he can agree a PCA in January with the club of his choosing, in fact he will no doubt pick up a hefty sign-on fee for agreeing the PCA and saving the club he signs for a couple of hundred thousand quid!

he is a good player, with a decent future ahead, but he is shining in the Scottish second tier, so being realistic which club will pay £300-350k for him in January, when they can agree a PCA that sees him pick up maybe as much as £100k for saving his new club over £200k..?

the only way i can see him moving in January is if a club he agrees a PCA with offer St Mirren  £50-90k to sell him to where he is going anyway. And that i would imagine would be dependent on our board/management believing they could still win promotion without him for the last four months. A load of ifs there in the last bit, but no one is going to pay £350k in January when he will go for £50-80k development fee in June.

Huge thing for us is Jack in all this. No doubt Lewis will at some stage move, but look at Mallan, not even warming a bench. Whilst Lewis stars in basically ever game now. For so many years we have bleated on about lack of pace now we have an abundance....

Really believe we need Lewis for the title,

Jack will guide Lewis, this is not really about Money its about exposure ..................

For those saying cash in in January and buy a replacement, where might we be playing this season had we cashed in on Mallan last January? Far more beneficial for the club to hold onto players like Morgan and sell when the time is right for the club from a football point of view, not just financially. Getting a bit less money in the summer could well be offset against the rewards of a promotion to the top league. 

When McLean left us in the January window, we were as good as relegated. He was that crucial to us at that time.

If Lewis Morgan leaves in January, that could be the difference between us winning this league or losing out to another club. Again, such is the extent of his influence.

The timing is critical, here, and that won't be lost on Gordon Scott or Jack Ross. They are both ambitious men, and I think it would take a very hefty bid (in excess of half a million quid) to convince them to to let go of the player.  Even then, it might hinge on the player staying with us on loan. The ultimate prize is promotion to the top division.

I also reckon Lewis is a bright lad who has his head screwed on. He knows that his stock can only rise as he puts in MotM performance after MotM performance. My hope is that a deal can be struck for him to sign an extension on the basis that he receives a sizeable proportion of any fee we ultimately receive. I understand that the club are working on something to this effect. We would then be more likely to keep him for the season.

Fingers crossed, as it is an absolute pleasure watching this lad ply his trade.

11 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I was thinking the same myself since the sum of money that would be involved is normally no problem to English clubs.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Ok try thinking this through. 

The club have a figure they would accept for his transfer whch is rumoured to be £350k (no idea if that is so) so if we go with that, and accept there were bids before the window closed of £200-250k that were rejected then it would appear the club arent selling for less than £300k or he would already have gone.

he becomes a free agent next June, he can agree a PCA in January with the club of his choosing, in fact he will no doubt pick up a hefty sign-on fee for agreeing the PCA and saving the club he signs for a couple of hundred thousand quid!

he is a good player, with a decent future ahead, but he is shining in the Scottish second tier, so being realistic which club will pay £300-350k for him in January, when they can agree a PCA that sees him pick up maybe as much as £100k for saving his new club over £200k..?

the only way i can see him moving in January is if a club he agrees a PCA with offer St Mirren  £50-90k to sell him to where he is going anyway. And that i would imagine would be dependent on our board/management believing they could still win promotion without him for the last four months. A load of ifs there in the last bit, but no one is going to pay £350k in January when he will go for £50-80k development fee in June.

This true. But he is also shining at international level. Played 2 Scotland U21 games and MoM in each game where he was the only Championship player that got a game. He outshone Burke, who is a £15M player, in a performance that beat the Dutch favourites.  If Lewis plays to the same level in the U21 game v Engerland in October in Engerland I am sure plenty of Clubs will be impressed with what he can do. £350k is a snip for Lewis in January.