Massive Fire In London Tower Block

shull

In a really difficult situation the BBC are having regular problems with sound quality.

I would have hoped in 2017 this would have been a fairly easy technical issue to solve?

Victoria Derbyshire trying to add something to the situation but, understandably, struggling.

Eye witness accounts are very mixed/conflicting.

Guest TPAFKATS
Fire crews are still searching inside the building.
Quite surprised as it looks a precarious situation, the building is a burnt out shell in some areas.

This looks like an absolute tragedy.

Just saw a young local guy doing an interview, app £10 million upgrade last year on the building. You would expect some fire prevention would've been a part of it, even just to bring the building up to the current standard.

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/

Damning isn't quite the word for this. This one detailed blog entry, voicing these exact concerns in November last year from those who reside in this very tower, is going to lead to a lot of convictions.

Edited by djchapsticks

Guest TPAFKATS
Just been confirmed that 6 have died.
If that's the final number that would be a miracle.

Sadly, it looks as though that number will rise dramatically over the days to come once (if?) fire crews get access to the block.

58 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Sadly, it looks as though that number will rise dramatically over the days to come once (if?) fire crews get access to the block.

Fatalities being reported as smoke inhalation not burns so far. I expect that will change as time passes.

6 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Cladding made of plastic how is that possible ? 

uPVC cladding is plastic for example.

It is just a plastic covering of the exterior of the building. Presumably it is cheap and weather durable. A bit of panelling can look good I suppose if done properly.

http://www.pvc-cladding.co.uk/UPVC-Ceiling-Cladding-C-line-Ash?gclid=CM_D38bdvdQCFRQz0wodxw4Lpg

No idea how easily this stuff burns though.

8 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Cladding getting the blame for the fire spreading so quickly. Buildings in Dubai which have caught fire badly reported to use the same cladding which was installed on this building last year. 

EWI cladding has been installed extensively in flats , in and around Paisley . Perhaps no one , until now , has considered the consequenses of it catching fire . .ffs

Guest TPAFKATS
Firefighters go to work each day not knowing what they are going to face, but this is an unprecedented disaster.

Hats off to these guys for what would have been horrendous working conditions.
1c7ee771eeaecd2d420e98881dbb8d60.jpg

Indeed.
Mind you, I did look at the tree in that photo wondering where the cat was.

My sister in law works at one of the main hospitals that people were being taken to. She has said that the number of deaths being publicised in the news is not far off of a tenth of the actual number... :-(

That's sad.

I figured start at 50 upwards looking at the carnage, unusual to see a fire wrap itself around the building , effectively attacking it externally.

Not good at all [emoji853]

3 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

EWI cladding has been installed extensively in flats , in and around Paisley . Perhaps no one , until now , has considered the consequenses of it catching fire . .ffs

The external face of the clading may be fire resistant, the insulation behind the pvc face is available in many grades and not all are fire resistant, also the gap between the existing wall and the new cladding acts like a chimney, it sucks up smoke and flames. I was made aware of this by the double glazing company i used to work for, some metal windows were being replaced in a property that had been clad beforehand, the installers used an angle grinder to cut out the windows and sparks set fire to the insulation in the cavity, the fire service had to be called to deal with it. The flames did not get inside the house though (it was a 2 storey house not a tower block) My main question would be, why was the fire able to get into every flat above the original fire. Gaps not filled/fire breaks not installed ? no idea but it looks like it was too easy for fire to get inside from outside.