Massive Fire In London Tower Block

shull

It's gonna get messy. This is an excerpt from an interview with the Council Leader which is being run under the sensationalist headline "Shameless Tory council leader blames Grenfell Tower residents for lack of sprinklers" by the Mirror group and other media outlets.

"We are now talking retrospectively after the most enormous tragedy, but many residents felt that we needed to get on with the installation of new hot water systems, new boilers and that trying to retrofit more would delay the building and that sprinklers aren't the answer."

He added:"I didn't consider retrofitting sprinklers because we were told that what you try to do when you are refurbishing is to contain a fire within a particular flat so that the fire service can evacuate that flat, deal with the fire."

But he said: "Of course I regret anything that we might have done differently that would have avoided this tragedy."

The British Automatic Fire Sprinkler Association has put the cost of installing a sprinkler system at £200,000.

Living far away I view it with a degree of Dylanesque detachment but I guess that's one of my less appealing personal traits.

Lilly Allen & IoBS are obviously reading some of the speculation and will probably be vindicated in the fullness of time but how much have we "dumbed down" when LA is considered worthy of quoting by one of our major News shows?

41 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

It's gonna get messy. This is an excerpt from an interview with the Council Leader which is being run under the sensationalist headline "Shameless Tory council leader blames Grenfell Tower residents for lack of sprinklers" by the Mirror group and other media outlets.

Living far away I view it with a degree of Dylanesque detachment but I guess that's one of my less appealing personal traits.

Lilly Allen & IoBS are obviously reading some of the speculation and will probably be vindicated in the fullness of time but how much have we "dumbed down" when LA is considered worthy of quoting by one of our major News shows?

Explain in more detail my speculation?  Yet go go on to copy and paste news reports from a Labour supported news paper. That aside point out my speculation please. 

19 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Explain in more detail my speculation?  Yet go go on to copy and paste news reports from a Labour supported news paper. That aside point out my speculation please. 

Nobody knows how many people have died, putting a number on it at this stage is just speculation.

As for the Mirror group being Labour supporting - so what? As I pointed out other news organizations are reporting it the same way including the Independent, MSN, AFAIK they aren't Labour supporting. That's still not an exhaustive list - it's even on youtube under that heading.

There are a number of issues over this tragedy that will be exploited politically, the one I mentioned above, and the MP's (not just Conservatives) who voted against a Labour proposed motion to improve safety regulations for private landlords. As an aside it seems unfortunate that one of the MP's who voted against the regulations is responsible for the Fire Brigade in TM's new government.

22 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I don't think he was having a dig at you IoBS, you mentioned reports of up to 150 lives being lost in a previous post and that was what he was referencing......it is speculation because these reports are, as yet, unconfirmed. e also goes on to say your "speculative" figures will possibly be nearer the correct figure.

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

Nobody knows how many people have died, putting a number on it at this stage is just speculation.

As for the Mirror group being Labour supporting - so what? As I pointed out other news organizations are reporting it the same way including the Independent, MSN, AFAIK they aren't Labour supporting. That's still not an exhaustive list - it's even on youtube under that heading.

There are a number of issues over this tragedy that will be exploited politically, the one I mentioned above, and the MP's (not just Conservatives) who voted against a Labour proposed motion to improve safety regulations for private landlords. As an aside it seems unfortunate that one of the MP's who voted against the regulations is responsible for the Fire Brigade in TM's new government.

76 confirmed missing known but that number could grow this according to BBC2 news 5min ago. So it was Lilly that was on channel 4 news reporting what she was told from Police and fire personal. Suppose it is speculation on the exact number. What is not speculation Colin is the number of dead will grow significantly to the actual know dead numbers. It's all very sad made worse by the fact residents raised concerns about a fire risk before this fire happened.  

Guest TPAFKATS

"We are now talking retrospectively after the most enormous tragedy, but many residents felt that we needed to get on with the installation of new hot water systems, new boilers and that trying to retrofit more would delay the building and that sprinklers aren't the answer."

He added:"I didn't consider retrofitting sprinklers because we were told that what you try to do when you are refurbishing is to contain a fire within a particular flat so that the fire service can evacuate that flat, deal with the fire."

But he said: "Of course I regret anything that we might have done differently that would have avoided this tragedy."

The British Automatic Fire Sprinkler Association has put the cost of installing a sprinkler system at £200,000.

The quote from the council leader was from an interview he did on newsnight last night.

I was very surprised he claimed the tenants didn't want sprinklers as it would delay the renovation. Even if it's true, he's not gaining anything by bringing it up just now.

Kirsty Wark didn't letting him off lightly by any means with the line and tone of her questioning throughout.

44 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, but how many are REALLY dead and which political party is to blame?

Looks like all parties are to blame given the inquest to the flats that burned some 7 years ago where 6 died  has still not been published regarding safety proposals by fire inspectors though it's the government in power who is responsible for that, oh  aye the Tory party. 

Guest TPAFKATS

Protest March along Kensington High St ends with hundreds storming the cooncil HQ chanting 'we want justice' and 'murderers'.
Some local and national leadership needed or its going to get messy in West London.

12 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Protest March along Kensington High St ends with hundreds storming the cooncil HQ chanting 'we want justice' and 'murderers'.
Some local and national leadership needed or its going to get messy in West London.

The council had threatened a resident with legal action over a blog he was writing criticising safety etc in 2013.

12 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

A very volatile situation that I'm not sure anybody can quell.

There will be, and who can blame them, people who, no matter what, will be demanding answers, many that cannot be answered at this time.

It's already messy, just hope it doesn't get completely out of control as there can be many positives come out of this disaster.

Already the image that London is a faceless city is being discredited by the actions of the local communities.

Not an easy time, feelings are raw and it looks like the community could be the leader as anybody outwith will have a tough job appealing to everyone.

Guest TPAFKATS
Daily Express grabs the stay classy baton from the Mail and asks if EU regulation is to blame for the cladding.

Sun grabs the baton amid claims it's reporter claimed to be a relative of a victim to gain access to a hospital.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Seems surviving residents are still getting rent taken from them

This is just a guess but I'd think this is an automatic transaction and I'd also guess this would be sorted quickly and refunded.

Aye, keep up the good news. <_<

Edited by faraway saint

Guest TPAFKATS
This is just a guess but I'd think this is an automatic transaction and I'd also guess this would be sorted quickly and refunded.
Aye, keep up the good news. <_>

Following the complete clusterf**k that the cooncil have made of events since the fire, they might've sorted this in advance of the next rent payment being due. Even if they didn't have the heart or even the political savvy to do it, you've thought the publuc relations gurus might've come up with a solution.

Just a hunch or a 'guess' on my part though.

1 minute ago, TPAFKATS said:

Following the complete clusterf**k that the cooncil have made of events since the fire, they might've sorted this in advance of the next rent payment being due. Even if they didn't have the heart or even the political savvy to do it, you've thought the publuc relations gurus might've come up with a solution.

Just a hunch or a 'guess' on my part though.

You could get a job working for the Sun.......................FFS!

Move along, nothing to see here. :byebye