SPFL Attendences

St.Ricky

Good to see that the number of people watching live football I'm Scotland rose last season.  Hopefully. ..St Mirren will show a large increase this coming season.  My guess is an average of 4,250  per game against 3,600 or so last season.

8 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Good to see that the number of people watching live football I'm Scotland rose last season.  Hopefully. ..St Mirren will show a large increase this coming season.  My guess is an average of 4,250  per game against 3,600 or so last season.

How can this be with the "wicked" Sky TV stealing people at every opportunity?

Oh, good to see a topic in the right section................well done. :clapping

20 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

SPFL figures Faraway.  Agree on the influence of Sky but also find our newspapers culpable in having too much space given to the game south of the border. 

You think by reducing the coverage to the game south of the border would help?

I suppose we could become like some countries and totally control the coverage we provide to the public, that would help?

Our average home gate will clearly depend on how well Joma Jack's Fully Striped army are playing. On a roll, we are a club who can enthuse many more 'lapsed fans' to come back to the fold. The feelgood factor at the end of last season, looking back, was actually a remarkable turnaround. Going to FeegieField turned from being a grim chore for 'the diehard core' only, to an enjoyable experience with songs and atmosphere in three home stands. I was leaving the dinkydome and actually looking forward to the next home game. Madness, I tell ye'... but true.

So, aye, anyway... average home gate next season will be 4,950... announced as 3,200. :D

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

You think by reducing the coverage to the game south of the border would help?

I suppose we could become like some countries and totally control the coverage we provide to the public, that would help?

In the late 60s and again in the early 80s, Scottish football was ranked in the top 3 in Europe. Our clubs reached the latter stages of European competition and won them on occasion and reached finals. They beat the biggest and best clubs in Europe. There was virtually no live TV league games, ground capacities were much larger and prices were much cheaper.

Yet attendances were lower than they are today....

Edited by mcdowell76

1 minute ago, mcdowell76 said:

In the late 60s and again in the early 80s, Scottish football was ranked in the top 3 in Europe. Our clubs reached the latter stages of European competition and won them on occasion and reached finals. They beat the biggest and best clubs in Europe. There was virtually no live TV league games, ground capacities were much larger and prices were much cheaper.

I know, you've told me before. :P

So, Sky TV and the newspapers, if that's what you can call some of them, have made no fecking difference at all? :lol:

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

I know, you've told me before. :P

So, Sky TV and the newspapers, if that's what you can call some of them, have made no fecking difference at all? :lol:

Football attendances in general have gone up as live TV coverage has increased. That doesn't mean there is a correlation however....

Maybe attendances would be even higher if there was no live TV coverage??

5 hours ago, mcdowell76 said:

That's because Daktari was on :exclaim

3 hours ago, renfrew said:

Average crowds in Scotland are only up because Celtic sold around 10,000 extra season tickets this season thank to them signing Rodgers as manager, and Newco being in the league.

Football attendances in Scotland since the start of the SPL have been at a post 1950s high.

As I mentioned earlier, higher than they were in the late 60s and early 80s when Scottish club were a force in European football.

5 hours ago, mcdowell76 said:

In those years Saints, as well as many other clubs could have 3,000 one week and the next, 35,000 playing Rangers at home. The old firms crowds varied dramatically week to week depending on the opposition. Season tickets were only for the well off in general and weans were lifted over for free so attendances were always inaccurate. The O.F. also didn't steal half the support of most clubs and teams like Dunfermline, Killie, Morton , Thistle ,Saints etc had a decent fan base and could attract big crowds on occasion, particularly at cup ties. Pricing was also realistic, unlike today.

4 hours ago, Froggie said:

In those years Saints, as well as many other clubs could have 3,000 one week and the next, 35,000 playing Rangers at home. The old firms crowds varied dramatically week to week depending on the opposition. Season tickets were only for the well off in general and weans were lifted over for free so attendances were always inaccurate. The O.F. also didn't steal half the support of most clubs and teams like Dunfermline, Killie, Morton , Thistle ,Saints etc had a decent fan base and could attract big crowds on occasion, particularly at cup ties. Pricing was also realistic, unlike today.

I like your post. 

I may be wrong but I also have the impression that our crowds rose when either C or R were having a bad time but only when we were playing exciting football.