Andy Webster returns to St Mirren in new coaching capacity

If the Record report is to be believed, there's nothing long-term arranged so far. I didn't think Webster contributed a great deal on the playing side but I'm happy to give him an opportunity to coach youngsters given his extensive experience of football at the highest level. I'm with Jack; let's give him a chance and see how it goes.

My respect for Webster has grown somewhat, ever since he admitted he'd been shite, in an interview last season.

He also attended the POTY event, despite being released.

He's obviously impressed Ross whilst coaching the U-20's, and he could be classed as one of the many coaching requirements for project Brave's requirements.

A no lose situation for us.

My respect for Webster has grown somewhat, ever since he admitted he'd been shite, in an interview last season.
He's obviously impressed Ross whilst coaching the U-20's, and he could be classed as one of the many coaching requirements for project Brave's requirements.

It also seems he didn't spit the dummy out and try to cause unrest behind the scenes after McGinn was made captain.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is just until he gets a play on contract but can't do any harm, especially as some folk have moaned about the lack of former players on the youth academy coaching staff.

5 hours ago, FTOF said:

Agree with all of this. Also liked him when he came on as sub and terrified the life out of Farid el Alagui in the  2-0 away win at Ayr after Farid had gone in late on several of our players.

Project Brave still a worry though as it seems to be pandering to the Old Firm's un-ending sense of entitlement. Project Brave seems blatently geared towards ensuring Celtic and Rangers get even more opportunity to dominate acadamy football by, amongst other things, getting a second team into the Scottish leagues - a backstop for their obsession with playing in England. Much though I love the Saints that would be the end of Scottish football for me and I hope the Club is speaking out against the Old Firm Colts concept and indeed any further attempt by Rangers and Celtic to use Project Brave to eke out more preferential treatment from the Scottish football authorities.

Guest TPAFKATS
Could help with the making of Jack Baird and other young defenders. 

Suppose so, although he never seemed to help Jack much when he played alongside him.

Andy Webster strikes me as a real pro. He knew his legs had gone and that his time as a player was coming to the end. I think he also recognised the fan's increasing unease.  He had played at a high level and has conducted himself well. Welcome to coaching Andy. 

Just now, St.Ricky said:

Andy Webster strikes me as a real pro. He knew his legs had gone and that his time as a player was coming to the end. I think he also recognised the fan's increasing unease.  He had played at a high level and has conducted himself well. Welcome to coaching Andy. 

That day came against QotS at home when he was getting roasted and ended up subbed to cheers

He must have impressed when he and McManus where in charge for a short time

I think it takes some guts (at the very least) to want to stick around and coach at a club where the fans have you constant stick. I mean, that stick was absolutely justified, but it shows you the mark of the man that he wants to carry on and work for the club.

22 hours ago, ulysses said:

Andy is at the PFA Showcase game today for the club.

As was Allan McManus. Photos here if anyone's interested: https://www.snsgroup.co.uk/17-06-17-pfa-showcase-game

Aside from Mark Millar and a couple of ex Queens and Annan lads I don't really recognise the names of any of the players.

EDIT: Here's the team sheet.

Edited by Stu

2 hours ago, Stu said:

As was Allan McManus. Photos here if anyone's interested: https://www.snsgroup.co.uk/17-06-17-pfa-showcase-game

Aside from Mark Millar and a couple of ex Queens and Annan lads I don't really recognise the names of any of the players.

No. 12 for the red team was David Banjo. Seemingly his brother, Julian, nearly got a game but just failed to deliver.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I'm sure David Banjo played against us for Berwick a couple of seasons ago.

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

No. 12 for the red team was David Banjo. Seemingly his brother, Julian, nearly got a game but just failed to deliver.

I've just driven past Broadwood on my way home from a game of golf. I saw Banjo. Now I'm looking for a coo' to see if I can actually hit it on the arse.