We Live In Such A Beautiful Country

2 hours ago, Stoobs said:

I am going to Barra/Eriskay/South Uist/North Uist this weekend to explore the stunning scenery and world famous beaches. I am now hriskayaving sleepless nights at the thought of litter strewn beaches.

Polocher Inn at the tip of South Uist is very good , good food a good bar and great views. Stop off at the bar the only one I think on Eriskay it has stuff from the real whisky galore wreck. 

Polocher Inn at the tip of South Uist is very good , good food a good bar and great views. Stop off at the bar the only one I think on Eriskay it has stuff from the real whisky galore wreck. 

Yes, yes. The SS Politician shipwreck. One of the reasons we are going. Will definitely try the Polocher Inn now it has been recommended [emoji106]

Guest TPAFKATS
One of the best meals I've had was at Langass Lodge on North Uist.

we stayed a couple of nights.  There's a good stone circle nearby... And a Neolithic burial cairn round the hill a wee bit.

Hope you didn't do a Billy Connolly at the stone circle [emoji85]

One of the best meals I've had was at Langass Lodge on North Uist.

we stayed a couple of nights.  There's a good stone circle nearby... And a Neolithic burial cairn round the hill a wee bit.

As long as we don't get too scooshed in the South Uist watering hole then will try and give it a visit. We are on bikes.

Aye... We were on bikes, too.

Flew intae Barra, started biking fae Vatersay.  Nice community cafe doon there. Lovely beaches... Well...  Everywhere.

i got kinda skooshed in the Eriskay/ss politician pub and ran off the (admittedly narrow) road into a flower bedecked meadow, just across from the pub.  No real damage except, perhaps, pride...

we stayed in the Polochar also.  Grand setting

By the roadside on South Uist, you'll find an unexpected Paisley connection marked by a memorial stone...

here's wee clue...

http://www.tobarandualchais.co.uk/en/person/310

8 hours ago, Drew said:

We're on holiday on the Amalfi Coast in Italy just now. Another stunningly beautiful part of the world.

Litter - not a bit of it. Perhaps the odd bit of wind carried debris, but there is clearly a huge respect for their precious landscape and environment.

One of the biggest issues for everyone just now is the amount of shite washed up on our shores, though. Its depressing to see, but I imagine we are all culpable for that to some degree.

Did you follow through again?:P

Went to Sorrento last year. It was fantastic. Have a great time.

10 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Did you follow through again?:P

Went to Sorrento last year. It was fantastic. Have a great time.

Too many cherries and cappuccinos:ph34r:

Aye, its tremendous here, cheers. This is our second week now, so back in time for the weather to break back home....

Guest TPAFKATS

i got kinda skooshed in the Eriskay/ss politician pub and ran off the (admittedly narrow) road into a flower bedecked meadow, just across from the pub.  No real damage except, perhaps, pride...

[emoji23]

Just back from my Outer Hebridean adventure. Went to the Polachar Inn as recommended. Saw the prices for the lunch menu. 12.95 for burger and chips. Started walking backwards, slowly, very slowly, placing menu back onto table, reached the door and ran like fook shouting.."retreat...retreat" Stunning location but will not pay 13 pound for a burger and chips. Cycled back along causeway to Eriskay to the AM Politician and ordered the cheapest thing from their menu which was the beef lasagne. 20170624_102457.jpg

12 hours ago, Stoobs said:

Just back from my Outer Hebridean adventure. Went to the Polachar Inn as recommended. Saw the prices for the lunch menu. 12.95 for burger and chips. Started walking backwards, slowly, very slowly, placing menu back onto table, reached the door and ran like fook shouting.."retreat...retreat" Stunning location but will not pay 13 pound for a burger and chips. Cycled back along causeway to Eriskay to the AM Politician and ordered the cheapest thing from their menu which was the beef lasagne. 20170624_102457.jpg

Aye that is steep mate £13 for a burger is not on. 

Aye that is steep mate £13 for a burger is not on. 

Stunning location mind you. From the Eriskay - South Uist, the pub looked to be sitting right on the ocean. Glad we went to the AM Politician though as we got hammered into the famous whisky. Great day.

1 hour ago, Stoobs said:

Stunning location mind you. From the Eriskay - South Uist, the pub looked to be sitting right on the ocean. Glad we went to the AM Politician though as we got hammered into the famous whisky. Great day.

Sounds like a good time was had. Did you find the locals friendly on Barra. 

Sounds like a good time was had. Did you find the locals friendly on Barra. 

Genuinely not met nicer people. Went to Castlebay Hotel for food late on Friday, too late as kitchen shut. The barmaid phoned around for us and eventually got the Craigard Hotel who were still serving. On arrival there, they had a table set up and waiting. Every pub we visited, locals would blether away to us. Our B&B host drove us into Castlebay from Borve as we were too tired to cycle. I lost my ferry ticket for journey back from Eriskay to Barra, Calmac chap said it wasn't a problem. Everywhere we went, people said hello or waved. Really impressed to be honest.

Aye - have to agree with you.  The further we headed north, the dourer, more sober and less welcoming it seemed to be.

It was suggested to me that BARRA is relatively free-er and easier cos it is the catholic island - the people can enjoy a wee bit of sin, then confess to be absolved of the guilt burden... but further north the island inhabitants become more and more Wee Free... and so ... er.... less free... and also - more glum.  :( 

STILL a beautiful landscape, though,  :)

1 hour ago, Stoobs said:

Genuinely not met nicer people. Went to Castlebay Hotel for food late on Friday, too late as kitchen shut. The barmaid phoned around for us and eventually got the Craigard Hotel who were still serving. On arrival there, they had a table set up and waiting. Every pub we visited, locals would blether away to us. Our B&B host drove us into Castlebay from Borve as we were too tired to cycle. I lost my ferry ticket for journey back from Eriskay to Barra, Calmac chap said it wasn't a problem. Everywhere we went, people said hello or waved. Really impressed to be honest.

Magic. 

1 hour ago, antrin said:

Aye - have to agree with you.  The further we headed north, the dourer, more sober and less welcoming it seemed to be.

It was suggested to me that BARRA is relatively free-er and easier cos it is the catholic island - the people can enjoy a wee bit of sin, then confess to be absolved of the guilt burden... but further north the island inhabitants become more and more Wee Free... and so ... er.... less free... and also - more glum.  :( 

STILL a beautiful landscape, though,  :)

Would agree with this. 

Would agree with this. 

The furthest North we got was The Polochar Inn on South Uist and never met anyone that was unfriendly. Going back next year starting at North Uist then northwards. Will take Antrim's points on board as I travel towards Lewis. Just hope the wind isn't as brutal as our recent trip. You know when you have to get out the saddle to pedal downhill, you are in trouble.20170624_173831.jpg

1 hour ago, Stoobs said:

The furthest North we got was The Polochar Inn on South Uist and never met anyone that was unfriendly. Going back next year starting at North Uist then northwards. Will take Antrim's points on board as I travel towards Lewis. Just hope the wind isn't as brutal as our recent trip. You know when you have to get out the saddle to pedal downhill, you are in trouble.20170624_173831.jpg

I found Uist north and south very friendly Barra not so much however maybe it was tourist burn out. 

16 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I found Uist north and south very friendly Barra not so much however maybe it was tourist burn out. 

Tom Sheilds in the Herald dubbed it "the island the Reformation did not reach" in the 80's.  It is the most catholic parish in Scotland and all outsiders are looked upon as Calvinists from Lewis! :sorry

2 hours ago, Stoobs said:

The furthest North we got was The Polochar Inn on South Uist and never met anyone that was unfriendly. Going back next year starting at North Uist then northwards. Will take Antrim's points on board as I travel towards Lewis. Just hope the wind isn't as brutal as our recent trip. You know when you have to get out the saddle to pedal downhill, you are in trouble.

I'd get a new bike if i were you . .:P