Development Squad 17-18

Academy Update with Allan McManus

SMFC Webteam
Saints News

It's not just Jack Ross and James Fowler who have been busy shaping their St Mirren squad this summer.

Allan McManus, the Head of the Youth academy, has been hard at work over the close season making changes to the U20s. 

Some players have moved on, while a number of youngsters have been promoted from the U17 squad. 

They are a fantastic bunch," he said of the players moving up from the 17s. "As a team they did really well last season in the under 17 league.

"The biggest thing for me outwith their quality is that they really want to be professional footballers. I don't think people realise when they come in here how hard you have to work to get to the levels required to be a professional footballer.

"There's no doubt with all the lads that we've brought in from the academy that it is what they want to do with their careers and they have that discipline and single-mindedness to improve and aspire to get to the first team as quickly as possible."

While Allan has high hopes for all in the U20 squad, a name who stands out is Ethan Erhahon who has been capped by Scotland at U16 level. 

The Head Academy admits that Ethan attracted interest from a number of clubs in England and said he is delighted that the 16 year-old has decided to stay at the Buddies

Speaking on the step up for the players from the 17s, Allan believes it will be a big adjustment for the players.

He said: "It's a massive one, particularly for guys like Ethan and David Wilson who have actually come in a year younger than the rest of them.

"Ethan is another one who we have high hopes for as we do for them all. Ethan though has played international football at U16s. There was a lot of interest from some really big clubs down south so we are delighted that we have managed to hold on to them.

"Like the rest of them, if Ethan works hard and applies himself then he could do really well in the game."

One of the new faces to join the academy is Evan Horne who recently left fellow Ladbrokes Championship side Dunfermline. 

Evan is a local boy, hailing from Renfrew and Allan believes he'll be a good signing.

We've had a lot of good feedback in relation to Evan's time at Dunfermline," he said.

"We were made aware of Dunfermline's situation that they were no longer continuing with their 20s team.

"He spent a bit of time in and around their first team and I'm really pleased to bring somebody in who is almost ready to be in and around first team football and to give him the opportunity to do well here.

"I'm looking forward to working with him." 

Saints have seen the likes of Kyle Magennis, Lewis Morgan, Jack Baird, Stevie Mallan, John McGinn, Kenny McLean and more reach the first team in recent years and Allan believes that this should inspire the current academy crop to work hard

That's our biggest selling point at the football club," he said.

"The bottom line is if you put the hard work in and you are deemed good enough you will get an opportunity.

"We are very fortunate at the moment with the management team that if the young ones are doing well then they will be in and around training with the first team.

"From my point of view - working closely with the first team - there is that link there and constant dialogue with the manager and James [Fowler]. For the younger ones it is there for them.

"There's no secret - it's hard work and dedication. If they go about their business the right way some of them could have bright futures."

Andy Webster's time as a St Mirren player came to an end as his contract expired at the end of last season.

But the ex-Scotland international has been helping out with the U20s and Allan confessed having someone with Andy's experience around makes sense.

It's a no brainer for myself," Allan confessed.

"I get on very well with Andrew and when we covered the first team last season we worked closely together.

"Andrew's experience speaks for itself, but the big thing for me is his attention to detail and professionalism.

"It would be a great addition to have him in on a permanent basis and that's something that hopefully the academy and the club can hopefully come to some agreement."

u20s-1.jpg

Ethan has been with the club since he was 4.

He really truly has come all the way through the academy.

Maybe he is will be the one who delivers the big pay day. If he is the star of the future, hopefully we will get to see enough of him in the first team before he goes.

I will eat my words and offer sincere apologies if so....