Ed Sheeran

Wilbur

Watching Ed Sheeran on tv, performing his finest material at Glastonbury.

More accurately, Ed Sheeran is headlining at Glastonbury. The headline act on the Sunday night. The climax of the entire glorious festival. And I'm puzzled.

Maybe it's me ! Maybe it's a generational thing ! I'm happy to confess to being an old fart and I remember my dad complaining about the popular music of my generation in the 1970s.

But I just don't get Ed Sheeran. I don't 'hate' his music ( I hate / don't get rap music), but I just don't get it.

Dull. Dull. Dull. Dull.

Can some of our younger B&WArmy contributors help me out here ? What am I missing in Ed Sheeran that the younger generation appreciate.

Please.

8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Great thread.

It's a generational thing.

People stuck in the past don't get it.

No worries.

Naw

Ed is boring pish, just like the Calvin dude.

A stoned and jaked crowd would cheer a wee jobby lying on the Stage.

The audience seemed very white, very female and very middle class. That pretty much sums up what Glastonbury has become. Listening to Ed signing about listening to Tiny Tempah probably has many thinking "yeah, that's me. Totally down with the black kids".

Wee Ed is OK, but that set didn't stretch him or the audience and won't win any new fans.

Like Adele, he has received a ridiculously disproportionate level of exposure in the mainstream media.

I'm f**king sick of hearing that he is in love with someone's body, and that trad Irish type number is abysmal.

Ed's over-hyped, over-played, and yes, I'm undoubtedly over the hill!

I don't think I count as "the young generation", but I'm certainly not old. I don't hate him, but I'm at a loss to know how he can have sold so many records. To me it's just bland, not shite or awful, just bland. I think it's maybe just what people want from their entertainment these days, to switch their brains off, the same generation of people who eat up Big Brother and Geordie Shore. It's not a criticism, just an observation. People have stressful, busy lives, maybe entertainment that makes you think on top of that would be too much to take?

35 minutes ago, Saint Garf said:

I don't think I count as "the young generation", but I'm certainly not old. I don't hate him, but I'm at a loss to know how he can have sold so many records. To me it's just bland, not shite or awful, just bland. I think it's maybe just what people want from their entertainment these days, to switch their brains off, the same generation of people who eat up Big Brother and Geordie Shore. It's not a criticism, just an observation. People have stressful, busy lives, maybe entertainment that makes you think on top of that would be too much to take?

Good post. 

Bland is the correct word to describe Ed's output. 

Yup. His output is a bit meh, afaiac, bland and passé. Presently occupies the innocuous middle ground.
That said it takes Bertie Bassett's I suppose.
Take That have written and performed some good stuff, so have Rush, Mellencamp, Rod Stewart, Massive Attack, Anthrax, The Stones, Foos, Cheryl Crow, just not Ed though [emoji1]
That's life.......

I like a few of Ed Sheeran's tunes - 'A Team', 'Supermarket Flowers', 'Castle on the Hill' and a few others. That's it. I don't get the superstardom. Same with Adele. The lassie can sing, and I like a handful of songs. In particular the song 'Hello' is, in my opinion, a stunning and goose-bump inducing way to open an album. Again though, the mega-stardom and zillions of sales? I don't get it.

My guess is that Adele and Ed Sheeran tap into the baby boomer with disposable income generation and their CDs sit in car glove boxes and coffee tables across the globe - and that's still a big market.

41 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

My guess is that Adele and Ed Sheeran tap into the baby boomer with disposable income generation and their CDs sit in car glove boxes and coffee tables across the globe - and that's still a big market.

Baby Boomers (of which I am one) are in their 60's FFS.  He's just someone that appeals to young middle class angst and the singer / songwriter types are few are far between.  We had hunners in my day. I have to agree with the comments about Galway Girl though.  This is much better ........................

Sharon Shannon & Steve Earle

11 minutes ago, rabuddies said:

Baby Boomers (of which I am one) are in their 60's FFS.  He's just someone that appeals to young middle class angst and the singer / songwriter types are few are far between.  We had hunners in my day. I have to agree with the comments about Galway Girl though.  This is much better ........................

Sharon Shannon & Steve Earle

Maybe I haven't explained myself very well - I agree, Sheeran and Adele appeal to other age groups than merely the baby boomers, of which I am also one. Back in the day, for example, Dire Straits and their 'Brothers in Arms' album seemed to occupy that 'coffee table' spot now occupied by the likes of Sheeran and Adele. I feel they are the latest artists to somehow become global behemoths, and for the life of me, I don't get how they are so huge.

Edited by pozbaird

I can take Sheerin in very small doses. A couple of decent songs IMO but most of what he produces is wallpaper. Galway Girl however is absolute pish.-_-

As for Adele?  I wish she would shut the f**k up about her ex boyfriend, get over it girl ,youre a f**kin millionaire pub singer now and he has moved on !!  She truly has managed to milk  every last penny from her very limited talent..... and dont get me started on Skyfall !!

Mind you , it wouldn`t do if we all liked the same stuff, the two of them must be doing something right ,filing stadiums worldwide and headlining Glastonbury .  Could be worse, it could have  been Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen  or Nick cave headlining Glastonbury, now that would send me right over the edge !! :angry:

2 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Galway Girl however is absolute pish.-_-

Worse than pish IMO.

2 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Could be worse, it could have  been Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen  or Nick cave headlining Glastonbury, now that would send me right over the edge !! :angry:

Are you anti-reincarnation ?

Sheerin seems a decent bloke, writes his own stuff, can play and sing, people like him. Fairy' nuff. As I said though, quite why he has gone stratospheric is frankly beyond my understanding. If someone like Sheerin has gone mega-successful, cannot understand why it didn't happen for someone like Jason Mraz.

Any-hoo... he's doing it for the gingers, so fair play. B)