Dale Hilson

I recall when Michael Higdon was signed he was rated as not good enough by some yet look how that turned out. I believe, like any new player, he should be afforded the time and patience to settle in and show what he can do. Any transfer is a gamble and even the big clubs have blown mega bucks on players who just didn't fit/cut it.  Welcome to the club Dale.

Ach, you can never tell how it will pan out. It depends how well the squad gels and what the manager can get out of them at this level. Given that we have the core of the team that ended last season, we should be in a good place.

However, exactly a year ago tomorrow, Div wrote the following:

Look at a potential starting XI if we were to have our opening game this weekend;

Langfield, Naismith, Irvine, MacKenzie, Webster, Quinn, Hutton, Mallan, Gallagher, Clarkson, Sutton

He wrote it as if we were in a really good place then and most of us on here, including me, agreed. Oh, we can all laugh about it now....... :rolleyes: 

54 minutes ago, AllyM said:

Ach, you can never tell how it will pan out. It depends how well the squad gels and what the manager can get out of them at this level. Given that we have the core of the team that ended last season, we should be in a good place.

However, exactly a year ago tomorrow, Div wrote the following:

Look at a potential starting XI if we were to have our opening game this weekend;

Langfield, Naismith, Irvine, MacKenzie, Webster, Quinn, Hutton, Mallan, Gallagher, Clarkson, Sutton

He wrote it as if we were in a really good place then and most of us on here, including me, agreed. Oh, we can all laugh about it now....... :rolleyes: 

Agree but shit manager and shit tactics can influence the best of players.

I don't get all this chat about Davis being replaced or not being replaced with good enough defenders. Davis, whilst he was clearly a good defender, only played in a handful of games for us before he got injured. A defence of Mackenzie and Baird was more prominent in the run in which seen us play so well. Would I have taken Davis back...of course....But I'm still more than comfortable with the acquisitions we've made and the squad we currently have.

5 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

We have signed Two Stewarts , Hilson , Reilly ( I almost typed Carmichael ) , Kirkpatrick and Buchanan , if two of them are goof , two average and two poor , we will have done better than the previous five transfer windows

:huh: :rolleyes: :lol:

A 50% success rate on transfers is the norm. We were above that in January, with Davis (pre-injury), Loy, Smith, Stelios, McGinn, Eckersley and I would argue O'Brien all being successful transfers. In addition to that Todd pitched in with a goal and an assist in his limited gametime, and Fjelde got little chance to show what he could do. Storie started quite brightly, but couldn't get into the team, such was the form of the likes of McGinn, Mallan and Magennis.

I would be happy if half our summer signings were a success, delighted if more than that were once again successful.

I hope he does well , showed some nice touches on Tuesday , and a wee bit of pace at times , felt he was playing a wee bit out of position on the right , and also felt we played better with Magennis and Morgan playing wide , which for me means Dale will best be suited playing just being one or two strikers . Playing for us is a great opportunity for him , and I hope it brings the best out of him , especially if we concentrate on playing football and not just hoofing the ball up the park.

14 hours ago, Cairters_Corner said:

I've known Dale and his family for years. Also took him to a Saints game at Love Street when he was a kid ( approx 2007) to cheer us on.

He couldn't get over the noise of the North Bank!

Dale is determined to make this his big season. COYS.

Always great to hear there is one of us out in the park will keep my eye on the lad and cheer him on.