Dale Hilson

Does anyone know if Magennis is decent from dead ball situations (corners and freekicks, specifically)?  Did he take them when playing for the U20s?

Seemingly, Cammy Smith can hit a decent dead ball, and I'm wondering if Kirkpatrick has this in his skills set. 

50 minutes ago, Luther G. Presley said:

I'd say the best 3 players were Mallan, Morgan and McGinn, 2 of which are still at the club.

Okay, I'll put it another way.

Davis was the best defender, Mallan was the best attacker and Loy was the main striker.

None are still there.

However, my earlier post gave reasons why I am confident we can overcome this.

Edited by mcdowell76

49 minutes ago, Luther G. Presley said:

Gary Mackenzie is just as good, if not better than Davis, and there is still a possibility Loy will return to the club, if not he is easily replaceable.

Gary Mackenzie isn't replacing Davis however. The real question is, is Buchanan a good enough replacement for Davis? IMO, I don't think he will be as good... but I believe he will prove to be pretty decent.

As for Loy being "easily replaceable", IMO, as I've said in a few posts, I believe that Reilly will hopefully prove to be that replacement.

We have lost our best attacker, main striker and arguably our best defender. Can we overcome that? I believe we can.

Edited by mcdowell76

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Both of whom finished above us last season by a decent margin.

No idea what your point is TBH.

TC's point is that these teams finished below the position we aspire to finish in next season. Therefore if these players aren't good enough for those teams then they won't be good enough to help us finish in that aspirational position next season.

I don't agree with his opinion. However, his point isn't that difficult to grasp....  :1eye

Edited by mcdowell76

22 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

Gary Mackenzie isn't replacing Davis however. The real question is, is Buchanan a good enough replacement for Davis? IMO, I don't think he will be as good... but I believe he will prove to be pretty decent.

As for Loy being "easily replaceable", IMO, as I've said in a few posts, I believe that Reilly will hopefully prove to be that replacement.

We have lost our best attacker, main striker and arguably our best defender. Can we overcome that? I believe we can.

I reckon MacKenzie and Baird/Buchanan will work just fine. I'll admit, I'd like one more Centre half in but if that's who we go with with Whyte as cover, I'm quite comfortable with that.

I still reckon there's two more to come before the end of August- one out and out centre forward and either a holding midfielder or a centre back. Suppose it just boils down to what we need most once pre-season/Betfred Cup games are underway...we could decide that Ross Stewart is in fact the guy we need...who knows?

Of course, if the rumours of Loy getting his shot at Dens and Falkirk moving on swiftly to their next target are true, we are now in a favourable situation should Loy become available again down the line. Jack has already stated he's happy to go with what we've got to start with whilst on the other hand, Falkirk are desperately trying to bring in a forward as they are short in that area. Jack may well play the long game now and hope that if Rory does become available before the window closes, we've got enough left in the budget to spring for him whilst Falkirk have already filled their squad out.

12 hours ago, mcdowell76 said:

Okay, I'll put it another way.

Davis was the best defender, Mallan was the best attacker and Loy was the main striker.

None are still there.

However, my earlier post gave reasons why I am confident we can overcome this.

All about opinions.

MacKenzie was our best defender by miles last season.

Davis, for me, was suspect at picking up his man and winning headers.

You'd have to attend games regularly to see that though. Ya fud.:double

As others have mentioned, I see no reason why Baird or Buchanan can't fill Davis' shoes in defence. In fact, one of them already has, and was immense for the last 3 or 4 games of the season.

There are a lot of parallels with Buchanan, and another part-time Centre half who arrived at our club a few seasons ago, and Buchanan doesn't seem to be as injury prone as him, which a certain poster used to point out endlessly, when discussing the merits of signing him.:booty

Edited by FTOF

21 hours ago, faraway saint said:

What game was this then?

The reply from a QOS supporter....................always best to show some balance.

This was posted some 13 minutes later Sonny, you wouldn't have seen it when you posted.

20 hours ago, Sonny said:

Thanks for your patronising advice :) . So happens the only quote available when I posted was the one I quoted. The other was added later. But you have now provided that balance so hats off to you.

Faraway - it was later clarified that the 'what game was this' remark referred to 'which game was he rushed back for', not 'which game did he play well'.

Always best to show some balance. :P

9 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Welcome to the Paisley 2021 Theatre of Open Days. Best wishes to any new signing. Don't know much about the player, I know more about his dad - loved him in Supermarket Sweep. 

COYS.

I do hope, between attempted quips and puns, you have written to the club to register your dissent about the open days exclusivity Poz. And was Hilson in supermarket sweep as a contestant?  Oh, and welcome Dale.

Edited by stlucifer

Just now, stlucifer said:

I do hope, between attempted quips and puns you have written to the club to register your dissent Poz. And was Hilson in supermarket sweep as a contestant?  Oh, and welcome Dale.

Why would I write to the club to register dissent? I think Hilson could be a good signing. :P

Just now, stlucifer said:

Just too late in editing as I knew you couldn't resist another quip. :rolleyes:

It's my birthday. I'm entitled to one more shit quip today. B)

In all seriousness though - firstly, best wishes to Hilson, especially following injuries. Secondly, have I written to the club about the Open Day? Hell no. I wouldn't waste my time writing to anyone who has sat down and said 'Let's have an open day, but make it for season ticket holders only'. The fact a thought process like that flew so far as to actually happen, instead of being discarded within two minutes of being suggested, is frankly astounding for a club that trumpets being a 'community' club.

Open forum - been a member of it for donkeys years, like everyone else, I feel perfectly entitled to 'moan like fcuk' on here.

DISGRACE! Ayr Unitit! Etc....

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

It's my birthday. I'm entitled to one more shit quip today. B)

In all seriousness though - firstly, best wishes to Hilson, especially following injuries. Secondly, have I written to the club about the Open Day? Hell no. I wouldn't waste my time writing to anyone who has sat down and said 'Let's have an open day, but make it for season ticket holders only'. The fact a thought process like that flew so far as to actually happen, instead of being discarded within two minutes of being suggested, is frankly astounding for a club that trumpets being a 'community' club.

Open forum - been a member of it for donkeys years, like everyone else, I feel perfectly entitled to 'moan like fcuk' on here.

DISGRACE! Ayr Unitit! Etc....

OK Shull. I was sure I had you on ignore though! :P

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

There are a lot of parallels with Buchanan, and another part-time Centre half who arrived at our club a few seasons ago, and Buchanan doesn't seem to be as injury prone as him, which a certain poster used to point out endlessly, when discussing the merits of signing him.:booty

Darren McGregor?