Most Goals scored in Top League

DougJamie

With some crushing wins in recent memory , what is our biggest top league victory. Having a debate with an unwashed twat

I think  

Sat 17 Aug 1985 15:00
St Mirren 6 Hearts 2
Love Street Paisley Scotland
Crowd 6685
Ref: Alan Ferguson Giffnock

And I was there, I know we got 5 against Ross County and a lot of 4s oh and

Nice strip.... Looks familiar

Can anyone shed light

Edited by DougJamie

I have memories of us beating Kilmarnock 6-1 at Rugby Park in 80/81

Can remember us putting 5 past Dundee at Dens Park at least once, maybe twice

We beat Celtic 4-2 at Love Street in early 80s. We were 2-0 down after 20 mins and 3-2 up by half time. Same week, I think, we beat Dundee United, then reigning champions, 4-0. Think we also beat Rangers 3-0 a couple of weeks before that as well.

16 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Jack Ross too. .

With the discussions going on in other threads it's quite interesting to note Billy Mehmet's two assists and his nuisance value in the other two goals that night.

Edited by WeeBud

I have memories of us beating Kilmarnock 6-1 at Rugby Park in 80/81
Can remember us putting 5 past Dundee at Dens Park at least once, maybe twice
We beat Celtic 4-2 at Love Street in early 80s. We were 2-0 down after 20 mins and 3-2 up by half time. Same week, I think, we beat Dundee United, then reigning champions, 4-0. Think we also beat Rangers 3-0 a couple of weeks before that as well.

Was it not 0-6 against Killie ?

I remember that game.

Saints record league victories both came in the 2nd tier

• 8-0  v Dumbarton, Love St 04/01/1936
  • 8-0 v Clydebank, Love St 11/03/2000

Biggest win in the top division is 7-1 v Dundee, Dens Park 05/11/1899

The biggest win I can find vs a top division club is 8-0 v Third Lanark, Cathkin Park , Scottish Cup 3rd round replay 28/02/1961

12 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

With the discussions going on in other threads it's quite interesting to note Billy Mehmet's two assists and his nuisance value in the other two goals that night.

Mehmet has one assist as far as I can see.

What I did find interesting is the blatant penalty we didn't get when Samaras virtually caught the ball in his own 6 yard box! :lol:

A more blatant penalty you would be hard pushed to find!

Same old Celtic, always cheating.

15 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

Mehmet has one assist as far as I can see.

What I did find interesting is the blatant penalty we didn't get when Samaras virtually caught the ball in his own 6 yard box! :lol:

A more blatant penalty you would be hard pushed to find!

Same old Celtic, always cheating.

His pass allowed Dargo to one-time it to Thomson for his first and it was his "direct" pass for Thomson's second................would be unjust to suggest his part in Thomson's first wasn't "assisting"

1 minute ago, WeeBud said:

His pass allowed Dargo to one-time it to Thomson for his first and it was his "direct" pass for Thomson's second................would be unjust to suggest his part in Thomson's first wasn't "assisting"

An assist is the last person to touch it before the goalscorer.

2 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

An assist is the last person to touch it before the goalscorer.

Some may say so and others see it as :-

"In association football, an assist is a contribution by a player which helps to score a goal. Statistics for assists made by players may be kept officially by the organisers of a competition, or unofficially by, for example, journalists or organisers of fantasy football competitions."

I'm not really for arguing with you but I'd say it's open to interpretation and he certainly "assisted" in the scoring of that goal in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

Some may say so and others see it as :-

"In association football, an assist is a contribution by a player which helps to score a goal. Statistics for assists made by players may be kept officially by the organisers of a competition, or unofficially by, for example, journalists or organisers of fantasy football competitions."

I'm not really for arguing with you but I'd say it's open to interpretation and he certainly "assisted" in the scoring of that goal in my opinion.

You would hope that a striker would manage to assist in a couple of goals in a game in which we scored 4!

Just now, mcdowell76 said:

You would hope that a striker would manage to assist in a couple of goals in a game in which we scored 4!

Absolutely but I'd suggest, if you include the nuisance he made of himself at the other two, he was involved in all four.

I quite liked him as a player but remembered him as a guy who ran channels and pulled wide but all four of these goals he was pretty central.