Friendly - Dundee 4th July.

Sonny

Which is why you're on the forum tonight whilst on holiday...
Exactly. Having a passing glance at a result that means f**k all, especially given the amount of cocktails and cava that I've had exhibits that exactly. [emoji6]

4 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

Thought we did ok. But our finishing was woeful mainly Reilly. But Morgan and McGennis were our best players. Big Sammy had a howler. But better to do it now than in a league. Dundee were a disgrace. Nobody told them it was a friendly.

I think after Saints basically ripped the pish out them  (even though we lost three goals). Dundee started to get frustrated and lost the head. 

Scott Allen was pish. He'll get eaten alive in premiership. I would take McGowan, Haber and the goalie but other than that, they looked really poor. 

Thought there were positives tonight but lets get my idea of the negatives out of the way first.

Sammy was dreadful at the first goal, but as i said previously i dont think he can be blamed for the other two. We have some big lads now in defence yet we lost the second too cheaply by not competing in the air.

I know others have mentioned Dundees strong arm tactics but this is a physical game and i feel we got bullied at times tonight. 

Whats the point in having sublime wing play from Morgan if we have two relatively small guys on the recieving end of crosses. I dont think we won a header in open play in their box until the introduction of Stewart.

On the positive side, thought some of our passing was superb in the build up to attacks , even if the end result was a damp squib more often than not. Thought Reilly looked as if he has a point to prove. Liked the look of Buchanan when he came on and the fact he seems like an organiser. & Whyte overall had a good game at  RB.

We will only tell where we are once the real stuff kicks off.

On Monday, July 03, 2017 at 10:52 PM, St.Ricky said:

Looking forward to this. Should be a good test of our state of readyness. 

I was there. Brilliant in the first 10 minutes and could have been at least 2 goals up in that period. By my reckoning Dundee scored from their first attack that went beyond our 18 yard line and the resultant corner. Mistake by our keeper which he repeated for their second. Tough. Physically tough team to play against but a useful exercise in my opinion.  Good to see Reilly score.

Sammy to me looked hopeless at all 3 goals, but i'm not surprised by that. Thought we looked good tonight at times however we need to get more players in the box.

I like how flexible we looked up front we need more though. Also a big bastard midfielder would go down nicely. Dundees tactics for a friendly were bang out of order and we're lucky that only Maggenis got injured

7 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Whats the point in having sublime wing play from Morgan if we have two relatively small guys on the recieving end of crosses. I dont think we won a header in open play in their box until the introduction of Stewart.

crosses don't need to be played in the air....

Leicester city won the league just over a year ago, the sublime wing play of mahrez, conceding possession and hitting long balls were the major features

other than the cameo sub, they didn't have big strikers

I thought all the new boys did reasonably well this evening. We played some crisp passing movements and only slack finishing and excellent goalkeeping prevented us from scoring at least three. Buchanan looked as if he could be an asset in central defence but I am sure Sammy is wishing he could rewind the clock to 7.45pm!

As others have said - yes it was only a friendly but the defence will have to tighten up before the season gets under way proper.

And finally - we need a striker to finish off some of LM's inviting crosses - the height of Ross Stewart(19) could be the answer and also compliment the movement of Smith,Reilly or Hilson up front as well as their common lack of height.

Edited by northstbuddie

I thought it was a bit worrying in all honesty. We were easy to score against and struggled to put away at least 5 clear cut chances of our own. I've seen this before. Dundee didn't have to work for anything they got today, any kind of cross was causing us problems. We still need another defender for me, and someone to replace Loy.

Samson bomb scare as mentioned the day we signed him.

Every goal came down the right hand side. The boy Whyte had a tough night.

The only new signing who showed they could get into the team of last year was Reilly as he has pace and gets into good positions.

Other than that the rest looked average and I just hope we can somehow find the form of the latter part of last season by the start of this one.

Thought we played some lovely passing football at times and overall were the more impressive team. For the 2nd goal Smith was on the post then for some bizarre reason came storming out leaving no-one there for them to score. Anyway good test against a physical team and the score line did not reflect the play or chances created. Our team is possibly a bit young. Could do with another late 20s forward who has been around a bit. Pity about Loy.

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

TC thought Samson was a great signing. So it must be true. Anyway, still 25 degrees in Valencia and I couldn't give a flying f**k about the result. Next cocktail? emoji41.png

I'm surprised you're not boasting about how you've been in Europe longer than sevco...

Thought we were the better team, sounds mental after getting beat 3-1 but I thought we played reasonably well. Their keeper was man of the match!

Obviously Samson didn't cover himself in glory tonight but it's early days.

I thought Hilson & Reilly played well but definitely need another striker in before the start of the season.

Despite the score line, plenty of positives tonight.

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

It was quite mental. There management and ours were at it on the side lines looked really heated and went on for ages. 

Yes I did notice that . Good on Ross for getting his point across . .

I imagine that we will probably bring in Andy Ryan now since L*y has now gone to Flawdkit . .