Friendly - Dundee 4th July.

Sonny

9 hours ago, YardleyBoom said:

Samson bomb scare as mentioned the day we signed him.

Every goal came down the right hand side. The boy Whyte had a tough night.

The only new signing who showed they could get into the team of last year was Reilly as he has pace and gets into good positions.

Other than that the rest looked average and I just hope we can somehow find the form of the latter part of last season by the start of this one.

No surprise there.

Plenty food for thought and work to be done on last nights showing. Firstly Dundee gave us a good workout, sod the "it was a friendly" rough stuff, that's exactly what we need a proper physical contest not 9 goal gubbings of part time dross.  We seem to have a big squad but in an attacking sense we badly lack the quality to make a title challenge however this can still be addressed. Slighly concerned by the size of the squad we are carrying - a lot of filler when you think we still have Eckersley, Irvine and Quinn (?) over and above everyone who was stripped last night. Buchanan looks like the natural partner for Gay Mac - talked players through the game when he came on and is a big physical unit. Stelios was very withdrawn last night - barely got forward. Big beenpole up front looks raw and is a project. We really need more physical presence in the box when attacking - we are tiny bar the defenders. In the absence of a signing I can see Sutton starting although not sure he will be the longer term solution. Midfield looks ok but again worried we might get muscled out of games. McGinn and Kyle are strong enough but worried about the others. More questions than answers for me last night.

My only real issue from last night was Samson and we have to learn that lesson. 

If we are to have any chance of winning the league, we will not have the luxury of throwing away points in games. If we are to lose games it needs to be because we were beaten by a better team on the day. 

If that had been a league game last night, we would've handed Dundee 3 points on a plate. In my opinion they were not any better than us last night. It was an otherwise very even game. 

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

My only real issue from last night was Samson and we have to learn that lesson. 

If we are to have any chance of winning the league, we will not have the luxury of throwing away points in games. If we are to lose games it needs to be because we were beaten by a better team on the day. 

If that had been a league game last night, we would've handed Dundee 3 points on a plate. In my opinion they were not any better than us last night. It was an otherwise very even game. 

Agree, didn't think Dundee were good at all. We handed them the game by conceding soft goals and missing our own chances, a scenario we've seen all too often recently. I think Irvine and Eckersley will solidify the defence a little at least. 

Really gutted to miss out on Loy. He would have scored last night. In saying that though, it might come for Reilly. He missed a lot of chances last night, but the last one he took well. After a season of missing chances and getting dropped maybe he just needs that confidence. He certainly worked hard and his movement was decent. 

Thought Buchanan's distribution was poor last night although nothing got past him. Stelios looked good and Morgan McGinn and Magennis were superb. Hilson looked talented but was prone to taking on one guy too many - needs to pass after he has beaten six players. But its still only the beginning of July so plenty of time for players to get match fit and then we can really assess the squad.

We have to remember its start of July, and as we are not Sevco and lost anything, this team still has lots of gelling to do, we obviously have talented players, but for me, find a good front man this team will go far........ Easier said than done .......

In Jack we trust

COYS

The only new signing who showed they could get into the team of last year was Reilly as he has pace and gets into good positions.
Other than that the rest looked average and I just hope we can somehow find the form of the latter part of last season by the start of this one.

Totally disagree Darren Whyte did ok considering he's not a full back never has been. Neither is Cameron MacPherson who replaced him. both are outstanding young midfield players.

41 minutes ago, HSS said:

How can anyone blame Samson for the 2nd & third goals ?  Looks like Sammy is going to be plagued by a certain section of our support who always look for a whipping boy .

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

How can anyone blame Samson for the 2nd & third goals ?  Looks like Sammy is going to be plagued by a certain section of our support who always look for a whipping boy .

I absolutely agree he wasn't responsible for the 3rd. He was responsible for the 1st. As for the 2nd, when a player scores with a header inside the 6 yard box and the goalkeeper isn't challenging for the ball, then I believe he is at fault.

i don't think Sammy is a good keeper. I make no apologies for that and if he is given games this season, I have no doubt he will prove me right. I have no personal agenda against him. It's just my view on him as a player.

3 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I absolutely agree he wasn't responsible for the 3rd. He was responsible for the 1st. As for the 2nd, when a player scores with a header inside the 6 yard box and the goalkeeper isn't challenging for the ball, then I believe he is at fault.

i don't think Sammy is a good keeper. I make no apologies for that and if he is given games this season, I have no doubt he will prove me right. I have no personal agenda against him. It's just my view on him as a player.

Don't agree Bud. There were THREE saints players closer to the scorer when the cross came in , two of whom "Jumped" if that's what you call it with O'Dea and both  were truly beaten . Indeed McGinn (I think) was actually goalside and couldnt prevent the header. & don't get me started on the lack of closing down for the cross coming in !?! 

BTW, I am not a one man Samson fan club, I don't think he is the best keeper we have ever had but for where we are and who we can attract I would say we could have done a lot worse. He is not Buffon but I feel there is a  section on here who are out to crucify him before he gets his gloves fastened . 

Fwiw, I would love to see the young fella Stewart being our new diamond find, but in the absence of that yet being proven , let's go with a tried and tested option and give him our support....... or we could go with Langfield.

9 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Don't agree Bud. There were THREE saints players closer to the scorer when the cross came in , two of whom "Jumped" if that's what you call it with O'Dea and both  were truly beaten . Indeed McGinn (I think) was actually goalside and couldnt prevent the header. & don't get me started on the lack of closing down for the cross coming in !?! 

BTW, I am not a one man Samson fan club, I don't think he is the best keeper we have ever had but for where we are and who we can attract I would say we could have done a lot worse. He is not Buffon but I feel there is a  section on here who are out to crucify him before he gets his gloves fastened . 

Fwiw, I would love to see the young fella Stewart being our new diamond find, but in the absence of that yet being proven , let's go with a tried and tested option and give him our support....... or we could go with Langfield.

Yeah I accept that we had defenders challenging for the ball who didn't cover themselves in glory. But I believe when a ball is played into the 6 yard box, a good goalie will come and clean out everything, safe in the knowledge that he will either win the ball or more than likely be given a free kick. The one thing a keeper must not do in that situation is stay on his line. He's completely helpless in that situation. 

As for Sammy himself, not only do I think he's dodgy on crosses, I think he has a habit when shot stopping (which in basic terms he's quite good at) of palming the ball back out into a dangerous area instead of pushing it to safety.

I'd actually prefer to see the young lad being given a chance, but it's all about opinions mate. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

3 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Yeah I accept that we had defenders challenging for the ball who didn't cover themselves in glory. But I believe when a ball is played into the 6 yard box, a good goalie will come and clean out everything, safe in the knowledge that he will either win the ball or more than likely be given a free kick. The one thing a keeper must not do in that situation is stay on his line. He's completely helpless in that situation. 

As for Sammy himself, not only do I think he's dodgy on crosses, I think he has a habit when shot stopping (which in basic terms he's quite good at) of palming the ball back out into a dangerous area instead of pushing it to safety.

I'd actually prefer to see the young lad being given a chance, but it's all about opinions mate. 

Absolutely Bud. If we all thought the same it would be a very boring forum .

23 hours ago, YardleyBoom said:

Pretty much agree with all of that. Whyte isn't a full-back but JR persevered almost the whole game with him , I thought a bit unfairly, as the lad was like a fish out of water and took a real roasting when Dundee got forward. Didn't see anything from any of the new guys , bar Reilly , to make me think we're going to make a serious challenge. Pre-season and all that  , but we're crying out for some experience in a few positions !

Hopefully Samson learns from last night. This isn't a sign and run down your clock club anymore Sammy, you need to perform to get a game. As for newcomers and guys played out of position, firstly if your a newcomer you need to hit the ground running, Reilly did okay IMO, a couple of others need to be shown the big net thing with two posts and a crossbar then told "that's a big feckin target FFS hit the target"

I believe when a ball is played into the 6 yard box, a good goalie will come and clean out everything, safe in the knowledge that he will either win the ball...

Can you have a word with Craig Gordon please.

If Tuesday nights error makes Samson that bad in many eyes, Gordon must be one of the worst keepers playing after that match v the auld enemy!

1 hour ago, BuddieinEK said:

Can you have a word with Craig Gordon please.

If Tuesday nights error makes Samson that bad in many eyes, Gordon must be one of the worst keepers playing after that match v the auld enemy!

Samson has ability , he was always streaky.......... keep saying this, it was a frigging friendly and some on here think we have crashed back to earth. Well Jacks interview is what I go on, and considering his last recruitment drive I have far more faith in him than the ramblings on here. If Samson loses it we have Stewart to come in.

I would have liked to have scene Stewart in goal from the start we know all about Samson.I also think we were unlucky not to have taken some of the chances that we could have tucked away also thought we should be playing the ball to feet for the strikers as we didn't and don't have enough height in the box.maybe that's the way we will play this year if hilson and Reilly are the main strikers.thought the boy's who came up from the 23s gave a good account of them selves.a few friendlies and cup games coming up before the league Start's....optimistic

On 5 July 2017 at 0:32 AM, scottd said:

Dundee's rough house tactics were unexpected but it was good for the players to be exposed to it as that is what they will face every match for the next 10 months.

Hopefully , hopefully if that is the case Scott , then two feet in the air , sliding , studs and all "scissors" tackles don't go unpunished. . . the way the did in that game. ..

I would have liked to have scene Stewart in goal from the start we know all about Samson.I also think we were unlucky not to have taken some of the chances that we could have tucked away also thought we should be playing the ball to feet for the strikers as we didn't and don't have enough height in the box.maybe that's the way we will play this year if hilson and Reilly are the main strikers.thought the boy's who came up from the 23s gave a good account of them selves.a few friendlies and cup games coming up before the league Start's....optimistic

What kind of Scene would you have liked from Stewart?

Only fair both keepers get game time in the preseason friendlies.

You say we "know all about Samson" but he has been away for some time and not played under Jack or behind our current defence.

Neither keeper has.

In Jack I trust.

14 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

What kind of Scene would you have liked from Stewart?

Only fair both keepers get game time in the preseason friendlies.

You say we "know all about Samson" but he has been away for some time and not played under Jack or behind our current defence.

Neither keeper has.

In Jack I trust.

In jack I trust.so if we don't see Samson much this season then you know why.he dropped langfield and Galagher for O'Brien and if either keeper makes to many error's.well they just need to look back to last season.