I remember playing with my new snooker table, subbuteo and eating my chocolate orange from Santa Claus when game was being played. Although only 5 at the time, I vividly remember Bob Crampsey covering the game on the wireless. My mother whistling in the kitchen preparing our Christmas dinner, my father slumped on the couch, pished on cheap sherry. Happy, happy memories.

Donald Hunter in fairness probably deserves to be held in higher regard than he is. Looking back on the 70s and 80s most people think about Billy Thomson and Campbell Money, but Donald Hunter was a crackin keeper. I'd say 3rd best in my Saints watching lifetime and comfortably ahead of anyone else other than the two aforementioned.

In the next return game at Love Street that we won 3-1 I was on the telly. Couldnae believe it. Think it was in the celebrations after Bobby Reid's goal.

Which leads me to ask, why was a 1st Division game on the telly? In fact I seem to remember going to 2-2 draw away to Airdrie that was televised too. Remember John Mowat gettin on top of an Airdrie player and punching phuk out of him. Cannae even mind if he got sent off. Think it was all part and parcel in those days. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

31 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

In all seriousness tho, it wasnae a regular thing for Sportscene or Scotsport to show 1st Division games was it?

Usually because bad weather wiped out the top league.There weren't many games postponed at Love St so the cameras would head there.

15 minutes ago, HSS said:

Usually because bad weather wiped out the top league.There weren't many games postponed at Love St so the cameras would head there.

Aye possibly with the Clydebank game but the Airdrie game I was talking about I'm sure was towards the end of the season. Donny McDowall scored both our goals and some big beardy bass scored a late equaliser for Airdrie. It was a beauty. Think it made it into the goal of the season comp. 

4 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Aye possibly with the Clydebank game but the Airdrie game I was talking about I'm sure was towards the end of the season. Donny McDowall scored both our goals and some big beardy bass scored a late equaliser for Airdrie. It was a beauty. Think it made it into the goal of the season comp. 

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1976&GameID=197704230

There was a full Premier League fixture list that day....

Saturday, 23rd April 1977
Ayr United - Hearts		1-1	
Dundee United - Rangers 	0-1	
Hibernian - Kilmarnock		0-0
Motherwell - Aberdeen		1-3	
Partick Thistle - Celtic	1-1

8 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I think it was first game after winning promotion, or league champions, and they did a guard of honour for us......I may of course be wrong but that's how I remember it

9 minutes ago, shull said:

I wish they had televised our Match on the 19th April that Season. 

An absolute St Mirren Masterclass. 

Best ever Bus journey home. 

School was brilliant the next day.:D

17 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

In the next return game at Love Street that we won 3-1 I was on the telly. Couldnae believe it. Think it was in the celebrations after Bobby Reid's goal.

Which leads me to ask, why was a 1st Division game on the telly? In fact I seem to remember going to 2-2 draw away to Airdrie that was televised too. Remember John Mowat gettin on top of an Airdrie player and punching phuk out of him. Cannae even mind if he got sent off. Think it was all part and parcel in those days. 

Scotsport always showed first division games they also showed our home game against Falkirk

I think our pumping of Dundee Utd would have helped to get more games on the telly

Scotsport always showed first division games they also showed our home game against Falkirk
I think our pumping of Dundee Utd would have helped to get more games on the telly

You're correct.

We even got Arthur Montford commentating on a live game against Motherwell at Love Street ( Think it was a Sunday game & we won 1-0 ? )

I watched part of the Falkirk game in the STV van at the side of the main stand, the tv guys let us sit and watch the pictures coming in.

9 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

That would make sense and also might explain why it was televised.

STV's Outside Broadcast manager back then, was a Buddie, Peter Coleman, lived up in Hawkhead Estate until his death about ten years ago of a massive heart attack. He'd have had a say in that coverage too no doubt. ;-)