Love Street. Now & Then

10 hours ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

Eh? Have you been to the new ground? I have and there's no soul to the place. But you keep quoting " numerous posts"

Sorry mate but you're just wrong. Atmospheres are created by fans not stadia. If you want to say that the new ground doesn't have the same character as Love Street then I'll accept that. But of course it wouldn't. It's a brand new stadium. Much as it pains me to say it I've heard Celtic fans making one helluva racket at the new ground. And to be perfectly honest I was at the Falkirk game and I thought the atmosphere was pretty decent.

Probably the best atmosphere of any game I was ever at in the old ground would've been the 1980 Scottish Cup replay against Celtic. If that's the kind of atmosphere you want to see return then you're going to be waiting for a long time. But that atmosphere wasn't created by Love Street. It was created by the 30k or so punters inside. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

6 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Sorry mate but you're just wrong. Atmospheres are created by fans not stadia. If you want to say that the new ground doesn't have the same character as Love Street then I'll accept that. But of course it wouldn't. It's a brand new stadium. Much as it pains me to say it I've heard Celtic fans making one helluva racket at the new ground. And to be perfectly honest I was at the Falkirk game and I thought the atmosphere was pretty decent.

Probably the best atmosphere of any game I was ever at in the old ground would've been the 1980 Scottish Cup reply against Celtic. If that's the kind of atmosphere you want to see return then you're going to be waiting for a long time. But that atmosphere wasn't created by Love Street. It was created by the 30k or so punters inside. 

For starters, the cup game against Celtic, Billy Mehmet penalty...............................stadium was jumping.

Any more?

Oh, also, games at Love Street that had a shit atmosphere?

Billy G, help me out here.

Obviously Love Street had many special games, over that length of time that's obvious but this selective memory from some is just that, not the whole story.

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

For starters, the cup game against Celtic, Billy Mehmet penalty...............................stadium was jumping.

Any more?

Obviously Love Street had many special games, over that length of time that's obvious but this selective memory from some is just that, not the whole story.

Jeezo! I remember my faither taking me to a couple of old second division games in the early 70s and you could've had a blether with the players. Love Street capacity then was probably well over 40k and with max 2k hardy souls in it on a freezing cold day, the moon would've had more atmosphere.

6 hours ago, FS said:

For a ground to generate an 'atmosphere' it's usually required to have the odd full house, inspirational football days and nights, plus a good few years to allow the thick velour of sentiment to build up in the hearts and minds of the punters. I fully expect this to apply at Greenhill Road in the fullness of time. Perhaps an open top bus parade at the end of this season will help to cement that feeling ? ;-)

I once had a thick velour of sediment in my Bovril. Does that count?

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Any more?

Let's just refer to the 1990's for that !

36 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I once had a thick velour of sediment in my Bovril. Does that count?

I once had my Bovril booted over my new trainers whilst standing behind the Love St goals by a wayward practice shot before a game . Think it was the early 90's . Not sure who hit the shot .

12 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Probably the best atmosphere of any game I was ever at in the old ground would've been the 1980 Scottish Cup replay against Celtic. If that's the kind of atmosphere you want to see return then you're going to be waiting for a long time. But that atmosphere wasn't created by Love Street. It was created by the 30k or so punters inside. 

Who mentioned atmosphere mate? I said the ground was devoid of personality and soulless.  ( perhaps as you say character is a better descriptive word ). And how can I be wrong when it's my own feelings on our old ground and our new ground?

I myself have a great many memories of our old ground, both good and bad. The very first full game I attended was back in 1975 When we beat Dunfermline  2-0 (I say full game as  before that we used to get in free at half time ). Around the same time I watched The Paisley Lions Speedway and witnessed Ivan Mauger showing off his golden bike.  As a boy, I loved going over to Caiters Corner and listen to all the great patter and smell the older gents smoke their pipes. " Stark! Come up here and watch yersel play!!"

My all time best game both for atmosphere and result was the 1979 Anglo Scottish cup win against Bristol City. A fantastic night.

I was at the Scottish cup replay against smeltic and yes the atmosphere was electric. And the crowd was 27,000.  Brilliant European nights, some fantastic friendlies and fireworks on Guy Faux night.  I also remember being cold soaking and being among a shitty crowd of 1500, of pishing in some of the worst toilets you'll ever see! But I loved going to Love Street. When I walked up the slope toward the Northbank and the pitch came into view, I'd get all goosebumpsy.  I just loved going there . A  state of the art stadium it was not. 

I am not decrying GHR. Our new ground was built almost on the site of my old house where my family lived in the 1970's. (2, Ferguslie Park Avenue).  I suppose the ground will make it's own memories.  But Love Street was special. Not living in the past Faraway Saint , just remembering a dear 'old lady'.

Edited by Buddie Marvelous
spelling was pihs

26 minutes ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

Who mentioned atmosphere mate? I said the ground was devoid of personality and soulless.  ( perhaps as you say character is a better descriptive word ). And how can I be wrong when it's my own feelings on our old ground and our new ground?

I myself have a great many memories of our old ground, both good and bad. The very first full game I attended was back in 1975 When we beat Dunfermline  2-0 (I say full game as  before that we used to get in free at half time ). Around the same time I watched The Paisley Lions Speedway and witnessed Ivan Mauger showing off his golden bike.  As a boy, I loved going over to Caiters Corner and listen to all the great patter and smell the older gents smoke their pipes. " Stark! Come up here and watch yersel play!!"

My all time best game both for atmosphere and result was the 1979 Anglo Scottish cup win against Bristol City. A fantastic night.

I was at the Scottish cup replay against smeltic and yes the atmosphere was electric. And the crowd was 27,000.  Brilliant European nights, some fantastic friendlies and fireworks on Guy Faux night.  I also remember being cold soaking and being among a shitty crowd of 1500, of pishing in some of the worst toilets you'll ever see! But I loved going to Love Street. When I walked up the slope toward the Northbank and the pitch came into view, I'd get all goosebumpsy.  I just loved going there . A  state of the art stadium it was not. 

I am not decrying GHR. Our new ground was built almost on the site of my old house where my family lived in the 1970's. (2, Ferguslie Park Avenue).  I suppose the ground will make it's own memories.  But Love Street was special. Not living in the past Faraway Saint , just remembering a dear 'old lady'.

All Our Yesterdays....................that was a great programme. :wink:

Loved the walk up the slope on to the north bank, shame we couldn't have incorporated a feature like that in GHR, there is something about entering the arena at the top and then walking down to your seat as opposed to coming in at ground level and turning your back on the pitch.

Love Street was shite once the seats went in imo

There has been a few decent games for Atmosphere at Greenhill

One springs to mind believe or not was a game against Hamilton

Yes fecking Hamilton, a Higdon hat trick in a 3-1 win had 3 sides of the ground singing and clapping

Love St was a great ground when we had a decent team

Greenhill will be the same

4 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

Love Street was shite once the seats went in imo

There has been a few decent games for Atmosphere at Greenhill

One springs to mind believe or not was a game against Hamilton

Yes fecking Hamilton, a Higdon hat trick in a 3-1 win had 3 sides of the ground singing and clapping

Love St was a great ground when we had a decent team

Greenhill will be the same

Indeed.

It's the team/crowd that make a football ground  into a place that people remember  as a good ground.

8 hours ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

Good post mate. I suspected you meant character but that's probably a criticism of all new stadia rather than SMP.  There's actually very few stadia with character left in Scotland. Certainly in the top two divisions. It's hard to imagine SMP will ever be considered to have character but the fans are the ones who decide whether it is soulless or not.  To date it pretty much has been but towards the end of last season and with a decent start to this, I suspect things are about to change.

Think I was at all of those games you mentioned. All great nights. That's another thing. Night games always seemed to generate a better atmosphere. Is there any science to that?

9 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Good post mate. I suspected you meant character but that's probably a criticism of all new stadia rather than SMP.  There's actually very few stadia with character left in Scotland. Certainly in the top two divisions. It's hard to imagine SMP will ever be considered to have character but the fans are the ones who decide whether it is soulless or not.  To date it pretty much has been but towards the end of last season and with a decent start to this, I suspect things are about to change.

Think I was at all of those games you mentioned. All great nights. That's another thing. Night games always seemed to generate a better atmosphere. Is there any science to that?

Indeed mate. I loved the mid week games for that very fact. It became a bit of a nuisance though. When I started playing football, we trained on a Wednesday night, up at Saucelhill park. From there you could see the glow from the floodlights and even hear the odd roar!  Onward and upwards as they say. The great memories will still be there.

6 minutes ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

Indeed mate. I loved the mid week games for that very fact. It became a bit of a nuisance though. When I started playing football, we trained on a Wednesday night, up at Saucelhill park. From there you could see the glow from the floodlights and even hear the odd roar!  Onward and upwards as they say. The great memories will still be there.

Ha ha. I had a similar thing. I fancied taking up Judo when I was about 12. My mate at school did it and I went along. It was 3pm every Saturday. I ask you!! Needless to say my judo career didn't have much longevity! 

:D

22 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Ha ha. I had a similar thing. I fancied taking up Judo when I was about 12. My mate at school did it and I went along. It was 3pm every Saturday. I ask you!! Needless to say my judo career didn't have much longevity! 

:D

Quite right mate. I would have given it the   chop  too ! Ha

HO - Love Street

Organisation's logo linking to the home page

COMING SOON: Love Street

Love Street, Paisley

2 and 3 bedroom homes in Paisley to purchase via outright sale or a flexible shared ownership scheme. 

Join our mailing list

CGI of Love Street, Paisley

Back to top of page Print this page Email this page

The particulars within this brochure have been prepared for prospective purchasers for guidance only. They are not part of an offer or contract. Whilst some descriptions are inevitably subjective and information is given in good faith, they should not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact. All measurements are taken from plans and must therefore, be treated as approximate. Some variation in the finished construction and landscaping should be expected. The site plan and photographs are indicative only, not to scale and for general guidance only. Sanctuary Group reserves the right to amend the specifications without prior notice. Any substantial changes to the specification or plan following reservation will only be made with the prior approval of the buyer. Any substitution of materials will be to an equal or higher standard.

Edited by Buddie Marvelous