Love Street. Now & Then

Years and years ago I used to play on a Saturday afternoon at the racecourse and the game would finish around 3:30. Quick wash and change and then run / hobble/ crawl up Caledonia Road to get entry just after half time - the great thing was that after half time they opened the big gates up so you got in free. Always then went to the singing section in the North Bank.

Never quite sure whether the gate being opened was to let the disappointed crowds in their masses to leave quickly, or just a generous gesture by the club? Either way Shull would have been delighted with the entry system employed!:unsure:

6 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

Years and years ago I used to play on a Saturday afternoon at the racecourse and the game would finish around 3:30. Quick wash and change and then run / hobble/ crawl up Caledonia Road to get entry just after half time - the great thing was that after half time they opened the big gates up so you got in free. Always then went to the singing section in the North Bank.

Never quite sure whether the gate being opened was to let the disappointed crowds in their masses to leave quickly, or just a generous gesture by the club? Either way Shull would have been delighted with the entry system employed!:unsure:

Generous gesture....... haha good one. 

It was opened for people who wanted a quick getaway. 

As a kid, occasionally when I was tight for cash, I would wander along at about 4.00 and get in with the small group of  freeloaders who hung about at the gate. 

In those days nearly everyone was pay at the gate, the season ticket target market did not include the riffraff. 

I was always conscious of the fact that you were paying for 50 minutes football, and it was the first 50 minutes not the last 40 minutes when games were usually won or lost. 

Cant imagine how many times I walked up that ramp / slope!!!
Were the barriers always there? Or, a later addition?

PS: The subs that were announced pre-game, would stroll into the first team now! - happy days!!
(Thanks for sharing this Lucifer!)

I thought the barriers were put up at great expense to comply with another one of the then SPL's comedy stadia 'rules' - before they said ah fcuk it, do what you like...

1 hour ago, antrin said:

After the Ibrox disaster, it was recognised that such exits were implicitly unsafe.

Don't think the Ibrox disaster had any bearing on our slope.

Remember the Ibrox disaster happened on a Stairway with barriers installed. The barriers on our slope were installed some ten to fifteen years post Ibrox. If the exit had been deemed unsafe , they wouldn't have been able to continue with them right up to the day the old place staged its last game.

eta, also , the slope must have been installed when the Love street end was squared off , late 70s ? 

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

Yup.

I agree - when I was posting I was thinking that, too - but still believe the idea that downslope exits with a sudden mass outpouring being implicitly unsafe had to have a bearing on them eventually thinking, "We ought to have barriers, just in case.".

The Love Street slope was never as steep as the Ibrox end - also, how many times do St Mirren score a vital last minute goal?

Also, St Mirren fans stay to the bitter end.

1 minute ago, antrin said:

Yup.

I agree - when I was posting I was thinking that, too - but still believe the idea that downslope exits with a sudden mass outpouring being implicitly unsafe had to have a bearing on them eventually thinking, "We ought to have barriers, just in case.".

The Love Street slope was never as steep as the Ibrox end - also, how many times do St Mirren score a vital last minute goal?

:lol:

8 hours ago, antrin said:

Yup.

Not all the time!

Saturday, 26 October, 2002, 17:07 GMT 18:07 UK

St Mirren 4-4 Falkirk
An eight-goal Paisley thriller ended with a deserved share of the points as St Mirren drew 4-4 at home to Falkirk.

The visitors were three goals up at the interval thanks to a glorious effort from Mark Kerr and a double from Lee Miller.

A lot of home fans left at half time expecting more pain'

As it turned out, on the resumption, Saints moved into top gear with Richard Robb pulling a goal back on 53 minutes.

And Martin Cameron became the home hero with an inspired hat-trick - the third from the penalty spot.

Miller had also bagged his hat-trick goal by that point for Falkirk.

What was left of the 3,661 crowd of savoured every moment of this enthralling match, with both sides providing top-quality entertainment and fully committed to all-out attack.

We passed the Wee Barrel after full time with the deserters asking what the final score was, not believing our answer.

31 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Not all the time!

Saturday, 26 October, 2002, 17:07 GMT 18:07 UK

St Mirren 4-4 Falkirk
An eight-goal Paisley thriller ended with a deserved share of the points as St Mirren drew 4-4 at home to Falkirk.

The visitors were three goals up at the interval thanks to a glorious effort from Mark Kerr and a double from Lee Miller.

A lot of home fans left at half time expecting more pain'

As it turned out, on the resumption, Saints moved into top gear with Richard Robb pulling a goal back on 53 minutes.

And Martin Cameron became the home hero with an inspired hat-trick - the third from the penalty spot.

Miller had also bagged his hat-trick goal by that point for Falkirk.

What was left of the 3,661 crowd of savoured every moment of this enthralling match, with both sides providing top-quality entertainment and fully committed to all-out attack.

We passed the Wee Barrel after full time with the deserters asking what the final score was, not believing our answer.

I was night shift the night before the game and slept in for kick off.I'd just taken my seat when falkirk scored their 3rd.Had to stand up again to let Fans out who'd had enough.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=2002&GameID=200210260

• 4 weeks later...