Lost Our Spine - Worrying Sign??

20 minutes ago, Drew said:

We've let Gordon go, and don't have Davis, so are effectively down a centre half. I can't see us starting the season in that position. Indeed, my guess is that this position will be the priority.

Webster as well so down 2 centre halves.

Maybe JR rates Whyte?

56 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

Mallan is obviously the main man we have lost. Top scorer, most assists.

If we still had him then I don't think we'd be having this debate.

I'm hopeful that Stewart, Buchanan and Reilly will prove to be decent enough replacements for O'Brien, Davis and Loy.

Can Mallan be replaced?

It allows Magennis to play in the centre rather than out wide. This may allow McGinn and Morgan to attack more. We may have a more natural attacking player on the right, like Hilson or Todd.

Smith may contribute even more now he's settled in and with Mallan being away. Kirkpatrick may produce the goods.

I think we've got a squad good enough to make top 4.

I actually think Magennis is most effective out on the right wing. I know he will develop into a centre mid but feel it's still a wee bit too early. He had a great season out on the wing creating lots of chances. I've watched him in the centre for Scotland U20s and the other night and he is nowhere near as effective. His best moment on Tuesday was when he got down the right wing in the 2nd half and nearly created a goal. Last season we looked really balanced with him and morgan on the wings and dangerous down both sides. If only we had another mallan to play through the middle and keep Kyle out wide again.

No we actually have the following:

Samson
MacKenzie
McGinn
Sutton

as the spine of the team.

Add Magennis, Morgan and Smith...Super Stelios and Eckersley with at least one decent salary remaining with the currently unreplaced Loy not to mention all the other additions...no need for feeling downhearted in my opinion...

Aye, forgot about him. Whyte has had a run out in pre-season games?

He played on Tuesday.

I saw someone mention that he had a torrid time as the first two goals came from his wing, though they failed to mention that they were corners.

I thought he did well enough. Looked comfortable passing the ball with both feet. Not a starter ahead of Eckersley, Irvine, Mckenzie, Baird or Stelios but is a big boy who could have a good future.

Is he any relation to ex celtic defender Derek Whyte he has a similar appearance.

5 minutes ago, Bart Simpson said:

No we actually have the following:

Samson
MacKenzie
McGinn
Sutton

as the spine of the team.

Add Magennis, Morgan and Smith...Super Stelios and Eckersley with at least one decent salary remaining with the currently unreplaced Loy not to mention all the other additions...no need for feeling downhearted in my opinion...

Sutton won't be a starter and I'll be surprised if Samson is our 1st choice keeper as well.

We will bring in another 3 players before the window closes.

15 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

Sutton won't be a starter and I'll be surprised if Samson is our 1st choice keeper as well.

We will bring in another 3 players before the window closes.

Bold prediction. Hope you are right on the 3 new players JJ. I still think John Sutton will be a big player for us this season though.

Edited by magnus

5 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I'm with JJ. Sutton will not be an automatic start.

Don't get me wrong, decent enough option off the bench but it's obvious JR doesn't fancy Sutton as a starter.

I don't think JR would stand in Suttons way if somebody came in for him.

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

Long way to go in the transfer window thankfully.

We are clearly short in many areas but plenty of time to resolve it.

I expect to see at least two or three experienced arrivals before the end of August.

I suspect you will be disappointed

I have also never understood why folk are so keen on "experienced" arrivals".

Langfield. Webster, Quinn and Clarkson were "experienced" arrivals

I would be happy with "good arrivals"