Lost Our Spine - Worrying Sign??

8 minutes ago, Froggie said:

At the end of the season, things were going great guns and then we lose our top player (who admittedly had been rubbish until about February). Whether we can carry on the momentum after the break and with some different players remains to be seen. I am surprised that Sutton has been allowed to stay, I am not a fan of his and his goal tally for a centre forward is abysmal. Loy was decent but only towards the end of the season and a centre is urgently required. I am led to believe that a lot of money was received in exchange for Mallan so this should be used to buy a striker. I`d find it hard to believe we can win the league - not ruling it out the way we were playing in April - but even getting into the top 4 still gives a decent chance of promotion. This should be the main aim. In order to achieve this we definitely need a goalscorer.

Sutton's under contract therefore was always staying. Will chip in with goals, used mainly off the bench. Goal tally last season was 13 + 7 assists in 35 starts - hardly abysmal. For comparison, Thommo got 16 goals three years running, in 42, 39 and 41 starts respectively.

I agree we need to add another striker of good quality who better matches our current style, but Sutton will get his fair share of goals when given the opportunity.

Reilly and Morgan will both score a goals for us next season as will others, but I agree in general with the tone of your post - more firepower needed.

17 minutes ago, Froggie said:

At the end of the season, things were going great guns and then we lose our top player (who admittedly had been rubbish until about February). Whether we can carry on the momentum after the break and with some different players remains to be seen. I am surprised that Sutton has been allowed to stay, I am not a fan of his and his goal tally for a centre forward is abysmal. Loy was decent but only towards the end of the season and a centre is urgently required. I am led to believe that a lot of money was received in exchange for Mallan so this should be used to buy a striker. I`d find it hard to believe we can win the league - not ruling it out the way we were playing in April - but even getting into the top 4 still gives a decent chance of promotion. This should be the main aim. In order to achieve this we definitely need a goalscorer.

Just believe. :headbang

3 hours ago, Froggie said:

Agree i mean 15 goals the the last three games is poor by anyones standards :) Strikers are not like apples which grow on trees and readly available. Jack Ross has said some may go some may come , not apples mind. 

3 hours ago, Soctty said:

Sutton's under contract therefore was always staying. Will chip in with goals, used mainly off the bench. Goal tally last season was 13 + 7 assists in 35 starts - hardly abysmal. For comparison, Thommo got 16 goals three years running, in 42, 39 and 41 starts respectively.

I agree we need to add another striker of good quality who better matches our current style, but Sutton will get his fair share of goals when given the opportunity.

Reilly and Morgan will both score a goals for us next season as will others, but I agree in general with the tone of your post - more firepower needed.

Sutton only scored 7 League goals in 35 League appearances (24 starts and 11 sub).

Thing is Sutton is probably our highest earner the return is not great I bet you Jack Ross would bite your hand off to move him on. 

I don't think he'd bite your hand off at all. Thing is Sutton is a great player to have at this level as he's got bags of experience which can't be said about our other forwards. He also gives us the option of going long.

Really don't think we're in a position to be letting players of Suttons calibre go freely. Regardless of whether he's a high earner or not.

1 minute ago, Dan Is The Man said:

I don't think he'd bite your hand off at all. Thing is Sutton is a great player to have at this level as he's got bags of experience which can't be said about our other forwards. He also gives us the option of going long.

Really don't think we're in a position to be letting players of Suttons calibre go freely. Regardless of whether he's a high earner or not.

You have noticed our top earner is used as a sub for most games. I would suggest the person making most money at the club should be playing week in week out. If Sutton was moved on we would have out bid Falkirk for Loy as a example . 

You have noticed our top earner is used as a sub for most games. I would suggest the person making most money at the club should be playing week in week out. If Sutton was moved on we would have out bid Falkirk for Loy as a example . 

We didn't get Loy because the club didn't want to pay what he was after. Simple. Suttons wage has absolutely no bearing on Loy not being a St. Mirren player. There's currently 2/3 wage slots available at the club.

If we wanted to push the boat out for Loy we could've and in my opinion,should've.

3 minutes ago, Dan Is The Man said:

We didn't get Loy because the club didn't want to pay what he was after. Simple. Suttons wage has absolutely no bearing on Loy not being a St. Mirren player. There's currently 2/3 wage slots available at the club.

If we wanted to push the boat out for Loy we could've and in my opinion,should've.

Sorry mate I don't agree. The manager has a budget to work with. Take away your top earner you are let to use such money as Ross wants. If I was a manager would I want my top earner to be sitting on a bench ? NO and nether will Jack Ross. For the record I support each and every one of our players as long as they are at the club. But right now the top earner is not in our managers starting 11 which is not good I would rather see that money used on a player who Jack Ross would like to have in his starting 11, hence Jack would bite your hand off to move Sutton. Sutton for his part is contracted. 

Sorry mate I don't agree. The manager has a budget to work with. Take away your top earner you are let to use such money as Ross wants. If I was a manager would I want my top earner to be sitting on a bench ? NO and nether will Jack Ross. For the record I support each and every one of our players as long as they are at the club. But right now the top earner is not in our managers starting 11 which is not good I would rather see that money used on a player who Jack Ross would like to have in his starting 11, hence Jack would bite your hand off to move Sutton. Sutton for his part is contracted. 

How do you know he's our top earner?

Suttons wage is irrelevant to me, that's his business. He's a different option to what we have at the club currently, therefore he should stay.

We're a little bit light up top to be letting go players of Suttons ilk.

Again, a big argument over our need to sign another striker

we've just signed Gavin Reilly. 25 league goals in 49 starts at this level

he proved himself at this level over 2 seasons

still only 24, was 4th top scorer in a league containing The Rangers, Hearts and Hibs. He scored morr than anyone at The Rangers or Hearts.

we've also permanently signed Smith, presumably as a no. 10

Reilly has come here to be the main striker with Smith coming here to be his no. 10

we have an experienced back up in Sutton and a younger striker in Stewart

i believe the reason we didn't splash out to get Loy is because signed Reilly!

If we can sign someone better than Reilly then great

but i think it unlikely

Edited by mcdowell76

I agree with McDowell76 here.

In my opinion the need for a striker diminished with the addition of Reilly. Too many people are ignoring his stats. How much more could we get for a team in our league? There is a good chance Gavin will end the season with more goals than Rory Loy.

I'm sure JR has ideas where strengthening and I am happy to wait and see.

Edited by stlucifer

On 7/7/2017 at 11:05 AM, billyg said:

It was a "friendly" the DFC player could have pulled out of the tackle no problem , it was a definite attempt to injure !

Nonsense. I have no idea who the dee player was but i have to assume he was a professional footballer player out to impress his manager and secure his place in the team. 

Can you imagine if the roles had been reversed and the scenario you painted had taken place ? Saints player pulls out of tackle because "Its just a friendly ?"  He would have been slaughtered. Cries of shitebag would have followed said player around for the rest of the season.  

25 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Saints player pulls out of tackle because "Its just a friendly ?"  He would have been slaughtered. Cries of shitebag would have followed said player around for the rest of the season.  

WGAF , that would have been forgotten about by now.

eg When Stelios feigned injury v Ayr and cost a goal , he got some grief for about 2 days, and then was a hero again !

JR is still fizzing about that tackle on Magennis btw

43 minutes ago, elvis said:

Going to be another long season don't see us doing anything if we get 6th we will. Be doing well. 

That's better than 9th. :rolleyes:

There's way too many unknowns to predict, with any real certainty, where we will finish.

It's a pity we've lost some players as I believe if we had retained the same team we would have been a decent bet to win or at least be top 3 this season.

Thems the breaks.

Edited by faraway saint

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

That's better than 9th. :rolleyes:

There's way too many unknowns to predict, with any real certainty, where we will finish.

It's a pity we've lost some player as I believe if we had retained the same team we would have been a decent bet to win or at least be top 3 this season.

Thems the breaks.

Can we get someone to start a "Jack Ross Must Go" thread or is the old one still running?