Mosul recaptured - what next?

Bud the Baker

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-40547131

The Iraqi army has been mopping up the last pockets of resistance from Islamic State (IS) militants in Mosul, after a long battle to recapture the city.

An official declaration of victory from the government is expected soon.

Iraqi forces, backed by US-led air strikes, have tried to retake the city since 17 October last year.

IS seized Mosul in June 2014 before sweeping across much of Iraq's Sunni Arab heartland and proclaiming a "caliphate" straddling Iraq and Syria.

But they have been losing ground over the past nine months, as government forces advance on their former Iraqi stronghold.

Kurdish Peshmerga fighters, Sunni Arab tribesmen and Shia militiamen, supported by US-led coalition warplanes and military advisers, have been involved in the battle.

On Saturday the jihadists were desperately holding out in a tiny area near the Old City. State television said troops had expected to take full control within hours.

As expected the US led coalition have removed ISIS from one of their iconic (sic) captures from 2014. I know ISIS still control other towns which will now become the focus of fighting but as it says on the tin - what next?

• Will the US stay which will be seen as an affront by many Muslims and if not what will prevent the Shiite Iraqi government from discriminating against the Sunni Muslims which was one of the main factors in the rise of ISIS?
  • How will the long term strategies of the Kurdish Peshmerga fighters and the Sunni Arab tribesmen (I don't even know what they are - does anyone?) be accommodated within the politics of the area?

I guess the only certainty is that ISIS will attempt to strike back harder & indiscriminately as a result of losing their territories.

Edited by Bud the Baker

45 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-40547131

As expected the US led coalition have removed ISIS from one of their iconic (sic) captures from 2014. I know ISIS still control other towns which will now become the focus of fighting but as it says on the tin - what next?

• Will the US stay which will be seen as an affront by many Muslims and if not what will prevent the Shiite Iraqi government from discriminating against the Sunni Muslims which was one of the main factors in the rise of ISIS?
  • How will the long term strategies of the Kurdish Peshmerga fighters and the Sunni Arab tribesmen (I don't even know what they are - does anyone?) be accommodated within the politics of the area?

I guess the only certainty is that ISIS will attempt to strike back harder & indiscriminately as a result of losing their territories?

The last line would be my guess , got a feeling that this has been their long term plan going by recent attacks in Britain and Europe.

ISIS will be around for as long as the corrupt states that covertly support them want them to be around, does it ever 

cross your mind how some of the best equipped and technologically advanced armies on the planet have taken so

long to wipe the floor with these mercenaries, who's arming them? who's paying them?, I think we all know.... 

Assad, Iran and Russia are the main problem for most nations concerned in that region, ISIS are just a convenient 

distraction.....Cut off there supply's and they'll soon disappear, but sadly they still have there use for the war mongers..

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

So, what should have been done when these cnuts had taken over large parts of the country?

Perhaps Bush&Blair should have done what they said in 2003 and not left until they had established a democracy in Iraq and not left the country in the hands of factionalists out for revenge.

Ironic that with their security protection that pair have they are less likely to fall victim to a random attack that say the average guy posting shite on this forum.

Just now, Bud the Baker said:

Perhaps Bush&Blair should have done what they said in 2003 and not left until they had established a democracy in Iraq and not left the country in the hands of factionalists out for revenge.

Ironic that with their security protection that pair have they are less likely to fall victim to a random attack that say the average guy posting shite on this forum.

I envisaged someone would harp back to something or another but that's NOT what I asked.

I see where this thread will go, pouring over previous with political point scoring.

Bring back Dickson.

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I envisaged someone would harp back to something or another but that's NOT what I asked.

I see where this thread will go, pouring over previous with political point scoring.

Bring back Dickson.

It does answer it - don't prop up factional regimes like the current Iraqi one.

4 hours ago, scrappy coco said:

ISIS will be around for as long as the corrupt states that covertly support them want them to be around, does it ever 

cross your mind how some of the best equipped and technologically advanced armies on the planet have taken so

long to wipe the floor with these mercenaries, who's arming them? who's paying them?, I think we all know.... 

Assad, Iran and Russia are the main problem for most nations concerned in that region, ISIS are just a convenient 

distraction.....Cut off there supply's and they'll soon disappear, but sadly they still have there use for the war mongers..

I can't think of any gorilla war being defeated that's how Isis fight. The dread is when trained blood thirsty and strained individuals come back to the UK to marry 3,000 virgins in heaven. 

Guest TPAFKATS

I think Iran are painted as the bogey men by the US and UK however they offer more solutions than the west. Saudis are the main problem imo.

42 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

I think Iran are painted as the bogey men by the US and UK however they offer more solutions than the west. Saudis are the main problem imo.

Without doubt they're the problem, pipelines,the petrodollar and the Russian influence in Syria Iraq and Iran is giving the US 

and it's allies the fear, I just cant see where they'll ever find a solution to this, there's too many countries with too much to lose..

Edited by scrappy coco

4 hours ago, scrappy coco said:

Without doubt they're the problem, pipelines,the petrodollar and the Russian influence in Syria Iraq and Iran is giving the US 

and it's allies the fear, I just cant see where they'll ever find a solution to this, there's too many countries with too much to lose..

The whole region has been destabilised going right back to the so called Arab Spring.  .

On 7/9/2017 at 1:20 PM, saintnextlifetime said:

The current situation there makes  the deposed Saddam regime look quite sane. Maybe if Saddam hadn't sold his oil below the OPEC rate , he'd still be there. . 

Like Iran and Saudi Arabia are doing currently?

Great post sir, from now on I shall give your opinion a renewed respect, more gravitas if you like than the common run of the mill poster's that engulf this forum.  Well done indeed.