This stuff does my nut in...

pozbaird

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40567047

Coffee good for you... naw, bad for you... a glass of red wine good for your heart... naw, red wine bad for you... saturated fat, evil... hold on, it's no' that bad... fizzy drinks bad, artificial sweeterners bad.. no, they OK unless you eat a whole tube of Sweetex... 

FFS.

12 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Coffee good for you... naw, bad for you... a glass of red wine good for your heart... naw, red wine bad for you... saturated fat, evil... hold on, it's no' that bad... fizzy drinks bad, artificial sweeterners bad.. no, they OK unless you eat a whole tube of Sweetex... 

FFS.

One of the problems is that with studies on humans, there are so many uncontrollable factors.

Although, the biggest problem is releasing half arsed studies like these in the first place.

6 minutes ago, FTOF said:

One of the problems is that with studies on humans, there are so many uncontrollable factors.

Although, the biggest problem is releasing half arsed studies like these in the first place.

That, and an organisation like the BBC bothering to report a pile of contradictory shit like that. That story had more U-turns than Teresa May.

Naw, the biggest problem is journalists doing half-arsed tiny reports in a limited space on a broad platform with too many levels of potential misunderstanding so they can never represent the nuances contained in the real science.

FWIW, New Scientist has just produced another of its excellent publications - in The Collection series - which is looking at ALL sides of the "healthy eating and drinking and nurturing your body" question.

I'm halfway through it.

I shouldn't drink as much as I do - but it is only beer...

The bottom line seems to be, as in so many things:  Moderation is Everything.

3 hours ago, pozbaird said:

FFS.

How come you don't list St.Mirren.  :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, antrin said:

Naw, the biggest problem is journalists doing half-arsed tiny reports in a limited space on a broad platform with too many levels of potential misunderstanding so they can never represent the nuances contained in the real science.

FWIW, New Scientist has just produced another of its excellent publications - in The Collection series - which is looking at ALL sides of the "healthy eating and drinking and nurturing your body" question.

I'm halfway through it.

I shouldn't drink as much as I do - but it is only beer...

The bottom line seems to be, as in so many things:  Moderation is Everything.

Apparently , Alzheimer's is almost unknown in the sub-continent , I reckon we should all eat more currys . .:P

You might be too old now Bluto , to take advantage of the benefits of the curry diet. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

6 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Apparently , Alzheimer's is almost unknown in the sub-continent , I reckon we should all eat more currys . .:P

You might be too old now Bluto , to take advantage of the benefits of the curry diet. .

The sad truth is that despite the increase in longevity in parts of the sub-continent, in many regions life expectancy is still only somewhere in the 50's or 60's. In other words many die before they reach the typical age when Alzheimer's is likely to set in.

34 minutes ago, RickMcD said:

The sad truth is that despite the increase in longevity in parts of the sub-continent, in many regions life expectancy is still only somewhere in the 50's or 60's. In other words many die before they reach the typical age when Alzheimer's is likely to set in.

You probably have a point there . Some diseases are definitely age related but there are races in the sub-continent that are living beyond Western European life expectancies e.g he Burusho people . .

5 hours ago, RickMcD said:

I had an argument on similar lines a few years ago with a health and safety colleague ( former army major, engineer and law graduate) who ranted that allegies and asthma were the result of modern living (central heating, carpets, draft-proof windows, etc) and then blew a hole in hs own point  by saying that none of these things were an issue in Victorian times.  I pointed out to him that infant mortality was so high then that kids died before they got to the point of diagnosis (if that could even be achieved back then).

Sad fact is that we are keeping people alive longer and for some this takes them into health territory that they would not have encountered in a another time or place.

But apparently the purple sweet potatoes keep japanese people in great mental nick well into their nineties

6 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Yep, just like smoking and cancer. :whistle:

One of the differences there is that many, many studies were performed by different groups across the world and consistent results were seen. Replication studies were performed and people tried to explain causality. These recent piss poor attempts at manipulating statistics and then publishing regardless of how tenuous the correlation is are not in the same league.

5 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

But apparently the purple sweet potatoes keep japanese people in great mental nick well into their nineties

I'm going to dip my chips in vimto from now on.:thumbs2

Edited by FTOF

Right, I've read the replies. So... am I reasonably safe enjoying my three cups of coffee a day, and is a cheeky wee glass of red wine gonnae' kill me... 

Christians, athiests, all welcome.. coffee / red wine. Gie's the lowdown...

On 12 July 2017 at 7:46 PM, pozbaird said:

Right, I've read the replies. So... am I reasonably safe enjoying my three cups of coffee a day, and is a cheeky wee glass of red wine gonnae' kill me... 

Christians, athiests, all welcome.. coffee / red wine. Gie's the lowdown...

I have always been a big Who fan . I don't think coffee or a cheeky wee glass of wine will kill you but here is what the WHO say about carcinogenic red meat and processed meat. .

http://www.who.int/features/qa/cancer-red-meat/en/

Edited by saintnextlifetime

1 hour ago, saintnextlifetime said:

I have always been a big Who fan . I don't think coffee or a cheeky wee glass wine will kill you but here is what WHO say about carcingenic red meat and processed meat. .

http://www.who.int/features/qa/cancer-red-meat/en/

Neil have been in the catering business for over 35 years :( Have studied nutrients and calorie for a while now. After studying now tend to eat fish ( wild ) and vegetables.  Farmed meat makes for scary reading with American farm practises really scary by that I mean antibiotics and fast growing hormones pumped in to cattle. Farmed fish which are plenty have dead sea life around the sea bed under the fish farms. Basically humans are pumping hundreds of chemicals and thousands of pesticides into the body that have never been tested on humans. All sorts of cancer  rife with the population oblivious to the market. Fully understand new practises needed to be found to keep up with food demand.  However if Joe Blogs understood or did his home work his diets would change drastically  

7 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Neil have been in the catering business for over 35 years :( Have studied nutrients and calorie for a while now. After studying now tend to eat fish ( wild ) and vegetables.  Farmed meat makes for scary reading with American farm practises really scary by that I mean antibiotics and fast growing hormones pumped in to cattle. Farmed fish which are plenty have dead sea life around the sea bed under the fish farms. Basically humans are pumping hundreds of chemicals and thousands of pesticides into the body that have never been tested on humans. All sorts of cancer  rife with the population oblivious to the market. Fully understand new practises needed to be found to keep up with food demand.  However if Joe Blogs understood or did his home work his diets would change drastically  

Yes it is scary what Americans will get away with putting in the food chain as far as chemicals that are fed to animals that have never been tested on humans and of course GMO's are legal Stateside too . Some of their farming methods are so intense that there are high incidence of death for nearby residents. Now 1 in 4 in America will die of cancer , I don't know the stats for this country are but in the last 3 yrs I have seen several friends die from it or be diagnosed with it. It is ironic that in the 8ts they had a huge campaign in this country against AIDS with horror stories of an epidemic but of course the real epidemic is something else. .

There is a documentary on Netflix now which is produced by Joaquim Phoenix called What the Health , worth a watch. .