The Glorious 12th.?

RickMcD

On 14 July 2017 at 11:58 PM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

f**k how any decent human being can call July the 12th glorious is beyond me especially St Mirren fans. We are what we  are no matter religion or like  me humanist. 

Fwiw and to clear up any confusion and/or misunderstanding, the phrase, "the glorious twelfth" actually refers to the 12th ofAugust - the start of the grouse hunting season.  Nothing to do with marching, but - with its question mark - a neat title for this thread.

i hope this helps? :)

But none of that religious shite between the factions of christianity that is Protestantism & catholicism.
I've been here 30 years & mates with a few folk since i came down in 1986, i have no idea what religion any of them are, because it doesn't matter.

25 minutes ago, Graeme Aitken said:

But none of that religious shite between the factions of christianity that is Protestantism & catholicism.
I've been here 30 years & mates with a few folk since i came down in 1986, i have no idea what religion any of them are, because it doesn't matter.

It's pretty much the same here in Arbroath.

My children didn't know what a protestant or catholic was when they were growing up.

I'm sure you're aware the sectarian disease is, mainly, in a few areas of Scotland.

52 minutes ago, Graeme Aitken said:

Dont kid yourself theres no Orange Order in London.......sectarianism knows no borders.

1st search result I got on Google........

http://www.bandparades.co.uk/event/grand-orange-lodge-of-england-3

6 minutes ago, HSS said:

Dont kid yourself theres no Orange Order in London.......sectarianism knows no borders.

There's small pockets up here, there's a lodge or two but it's very much in the minority, thank feck.

As you say, the disease get's everywhere, but certainly the heart is in a few hot spots in Scotland/NIreland.

PS It's really very easy to make it invisible here, as I'm sure it is in London.

Edited by faraway saint

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

There's small pockets up here, there's a lodge or two but it's very much in the minority, thank feck.

As you say, the disease get's everywhere, but certainly the heart is in a few hot spots in Scotland.

I don't disagree with you mate but there's places in the North of England every bit as bad as Scotland.Liverpool,Manchester,Blackpool have huge orange orders.It's maybe not noticed in London due to the size of the City but it's crazy to say it doesn't happen.FFS there's even a huge orange walk in Benidorm.:wacko:

Never seen nor heard of any. Folk don't give 2 tosses down here what anyones religion is.
Folk just get on with living as best they can.

Guest TPAFKATS

There was an Orange Hall in niagara falls about 15 years ago. No sure if it still exists. Guess when folk emigrate they cling to stuff that reminds them of the old home.

18 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Unless they're Muslim.

down here, "what school did you go to" and "what team do you support" are not questions used to try determine someone' religion. It really doesn't matter.

I drive past a Sikh Temple, A Synagogue, A Mosque and a couple of churches regularly, no one bats an eyelid.

Aye, sure, there are some knuckle-draggers amongst the community but they don't do annual marches celebrating/commemorating centuries old battles. In general, folk live within this multicultural society quite happily and peacefully & still eyelids are not batted.

This living in a multicultural society is cracking. Quite a few more celebrations to be had, especially if you'd (like me) turn up to the opening of a bag of crisps :-)

Edited by Graeme Aitken

4 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

So you think that I'm a greedy fat liar. :(

That's it, I've had enough of this, I'm off and I'll never return. I just can't take this sort of abuse. This forum has been on a downward spiral ever since shull decided to try and be funny, I'm out ...

or maybe I'm lying. :)

Evidently not lying but certainly having a bit of a hissy fit. .:)

FFS

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40705687?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_news_ni&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=northern_ireland

Orange Order calls on Protestants not to use the phrase 'RIP'

An Orangeman in the demonstration field in Belfast Image captionThe Orange Order is the largest Protestant organisation in Northern Ireland

The Orange Order has asked its members to stop using the term 'RIP' to express grief or sympathy after a death.

It said the phrase is unbiblical, un-Protestant, and a form of superstition connected to Catholicism.

RIP is an abbreviation of 'rest in peace' or in Latin, 'requiescat in pace'.

In a publication marking the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, the order called on Protestants to stop using the phrase.

Wallace Thompson, secretary of Evangelical Protestants Northern Ireland, wrote a Facebook post on which the article was based.

'Prayers for the dead'

He told the BBC's Talkback programme: "Observing social media, we have noticed that the letters RIP are used a lot by Protestants, and by some evangelical Protestants."

Mr Thompson explained that for him, 'RIP' is a prayer and he did not encourage prayers for the dead.

"From a Protestant point of view, we believe, when death comes, a person either goes to be with Christ for all eternity, or into hell.

Wallace Thompson Image captionWallace Thompson believes that the phrase 'RIP' is effectively a prayer for the dead and therefore un-Protestant

"That's what we believe the gospel to be and in this 500th anniversary year of the Reformation, I think Luther, when the scales fell off his eyes, realised that it was all by faith alone, in Christ alone, the decision is made during life, on this earth, so that when death comes it has been made and no decision has been made after death," he said.

'Remembrance'

Speaking on the same programme, former Presbyterian moderator Dr Ken Newell said he did not use the phrase very often.

"I think when people use [RIP] in social media, there's a remembrance and a good wish in it, almost a blessing," he said.

He disagreed that people are praying for the dead when they used the phrase.

"If folk in the Orange Order want to take this line that's perfectly up to them, they are making a good point.

"I think ordinary people have not worked out the issues. This comes out of the human heart," he added.

In response to a request for a spokesperson of the issue, the Orange Order referred the BBC to comments made by the county grand master of County Fermanagh Grand Orange Lodge, Stuart Brooker, in the Impartial Reporter newspaper.

In it he said: "I think the message in the article is very clear and well put together, and I couldn't add anything further to it.

"This article clearly explains why we as Protestants, and members of the Orange Institution, shouldn't use the term 'RIP'.

"It also reminds us that if we need guidance in any matter, we should refer to what the bible teaches."

The Orange Order is the largest Protestant organisation in Northern Ireland.

It regards itself as defending civil and religious liberties of Protestants and seeks to uphold the rule and ascendancy of a Protestant monarch in the United Kingdom.