The Glorious 12th.?

RickMcD

Know any of this lot Rick?

Meant to reply earlier to this. Asked about but none of my friends saw it. I knew there had been a punch up because the parade stopped for about twenty minutes. It was near the front of the parade so I suspect it involved a Bangor lodge as they were leading the march. It's par for the course.
The first parade my wife and I saw was thirty years ago. Against our better judgement we were persuaded by friends to go up to Belfast. We were near Sandy Row across the road, appropriately I suppose , from the Rangers supporters club. About fifty yards along the road from us a fight broke out. I'm talking about bandsmen, not spectators although they soon joined in. What a donnybrook it was. Bottles, glasses even flutes and drums were used as weapons. It went on for ages. I never did hear what it was about or how many got injured. They hush these things up. When the parade was finally over and we were heading back to our cars we were knee deep in litter, glasses and bottles. I decided that would be my last parade and by and large I have stuck to it. This year's parade started about an hour late and that's why I got caught up in it.
I don't know how anyone ever came to think I have any time for the Orange Order. Over the years on this forum I have knocked them. But we allegedly live in a democracy so I have to respect their right to march. My original post was intended to polnt out the ridiculous Rangers association and as far as I'm concerned, exploitation of children.
There are kids of two and three years in the parades. Babies are carried by some. I even saw a big dug with a collarette! A red, white and blue one! The collarette, no the dug.
Aye, I just love the 12th.