St Mirren V Livingston - Top of The Group Table Clash

St.Ricky

I love my Saints stats...

Back in 1949/50 Saints were drawn in a League Cup group with Celtic, Aberdeen and Rangers (now in liquidation)... Jesus Christ!

We beat Aberdeen 3-1 at Love Street in our first game in front of a crown of a crowd of 30,000

We then lost 5-1 away to Rangers (RIP) at Ibrox

We then beat Celtic 1-0 at Love Street in front of 47,438, our record attendance. Outside of Glasgow & Edinburgh, I believe this is the largest attendance at any football match in Scottish football history.

Following this we lost 1-0 to Aberdeen at Pittodrie 

Then we drew 1-1 with Rangers (dead) at Love Street in front of 40,000

To finish we lost 4-1 to Celtic at Parkhead

The group finished:

Rangers (club no longer in existence) 8pts

Celtic 6

Aberdeen 5

St. Mirren 5

Of interest here is that the fact that, despite finishing bottom, we took the group to the last game. A draw in the last game would have seen us finish above both Celtic & Aberdeen.

But also, in the space of 17 days, a total of over 117,000 attended 3 St. Mirren matches at Love Street. League Cup sectional matches.

Yikes!

Unfortunately, the gate at our first home league game of the season, a 2-0 win over Stirling Albion collapsed.

Only 15,000 turned up....

Just looking at our other attendances that season, we had a crowd of 35,000 for a 1-1 draw with Motherwell on 2 Jan at Love Street....

9 minutes ago, TopCat said:

I read that and thought surely not. Weren't they valid last year for these group games?

No. We got one challenge cup game last season on the season ticket if I remember correctly but the League Cup games we definitely paid for. 

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

No. We got one challenge cup game last season on the season ticket if I remember correctly but the League Cup games we definitely paid for. 

Correct.

I missed the Ayr game as I was on holiday, but had to pay £13 for the Edinburgh City game.

Yeah that was it, they put together a 'two match package' for season ticket holders for the home group games according to the website.

What was that and do we have it again? [emoji28]

10 hours ago, mcdowell76 said:

Back in 1949/50 Saints were drawn in a League Cup group with Celtic, Aberdeen and Rangers (now in liquidation)... Jesus Christ!

We beat Aberdeen 3-1 at Love Street in our first game in front of a crown of a crowd of 30,000

We then beat Celtic 1-0 at Love Street in front of 47,438, our record attendance. Outside of Glasgow & Edinburgh, I believe this is the largest attendance at any football match in Scottish football history.

The group finished:

Celtic 6

Aberdeen 5

St. Mirren 5

Of interest here is that the fact that, despite finishing bottom, we took the group to the last game. A draw in the last game would have seen us finish above both Celtic & Aberdeen.

But also, in the space of 17 days, a total of over 117,000 attended 3 St. Mirren matches at Love Street. League Cup sectional matches.

Yikes!

Unfortunately, the gate at our first home league game of the season, a 2-0 win over Stirling Albion collapsed.

Just looking at our other attendances that season, we had a crowd of 35,000 for a 1-1 draw with Motherwell on 2 Jan at Love Street....

Happy days! :)

thanks for the memories...

though I missed most of those matches.

something about a problem with my nappies, IIRC.... :( 

3 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Must win for us in that they bucked expectations by beating the seeded team, a bit like Ayr last season, although Livi only got a 2pt victory on penalties so not quite as bad.

Agreed, this will be a better test and give us an idea where we are this early on in the season.

Yesterday was pretty much a training session, Livingstone will be on a high after yesterdays "result".

12 hours ago, mcdowell76 said:

The group finished:

Celtic 6

Aberdeen 5

St. Mirren 5

Yikes!

I remember crowds like that ,as a young lad my Dad took me to loads of games like these 

Cathkin early 60s  27K v Dundee around 62

Ibrox v Dundee Scottish cup quarter final replay 84K and maybe 10K locked out on a Wednesday night 

Dens Park Dundee v Leeds fairs cup Wednesday night over 30k

Brockville was a brilliant wee ground 27K 

Dumbarton v Raith 1956 18001 rec attendance 

no distraction like smart phones or the like,golf was a game for,rich folk 

Sadly won't make this game don't know a lot about Livi though a good result for them against Thistle. That's what I'm keeping my money for the mouth watering tie up the West end of Glasgow on Saturday so a win against Livi would see a large Saints support make the short journey for the Thistle game. 

5 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Sadly won't make this game don't know a lot about Livi though a good result for them against Thistle. That's what I'm keeping my money for the mouth watering tie up the West end of Glasgow on Saturday so a win against Livi would see a large Saints support make the short journey for the Thistle game. 

Bute - The game against Thistle is being shown live on Alba...apparently.

Thanks guy's BT Sport 1 best of all its still a 3pm kick off time Yesss :) There is a pub in Rothesay the Galatea its a Celtic pub their bus leaves from there , however the owner is a big St Mirren fan. When we played Celtic at Parkhead the owner and his daughter had St Mirren tops on behind the bar I have been told. The Celtic punters know I'm a Bud also always made very welcome in there so think I will go along and watch the Saints.