St Mirren V Livingston - Top of The Group Table Clash

St.Ricky

7 minutes ago, Buddo said:

I've 100% never been in the happy clappy club, but you just need to look at tonight's results in the cup, this is pre season, stuff... elgin 0-1 hearts, Clyde taking 2 off killie etc... jack has the time to get us going from the get go!! And by get go I mean the league! emoji41.pngemoji41.png

It's all good and well saying that, but that was particularly dire tonight. It was the same in the game against Dundee the other week, we has a tonne of possession but as soon as we got the the final 3rd we had no clue, all the midfield play in the world counts for nothing if we can't put the ball in the net. Tonight was the exact same. It is blindingly obvious we lack the quality upfront. Jack will be doing himself a real disservice if we go into the season with the attacking quality we have now as it is clearly not good enough

I thought we looked ok first half but dire in the second. Crouch needs some gym work (a lot of gym work). Need a greater presence up front but was impressed with O'Keefe at Stranraer and again tonight. Would start him on Saturday.

Davis is signing tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, st jock said:

Gary mac and Morgan only players for me who got pass marks. Livingston played like dumbarton. If we can get a bit more streetwise and get a proven striker in we will be fine, especially WHEN Davis signs tomorrow.

FIFY

Just now, doonhamer said:

Disappointed but probably a bit early to right off our season. I don't think a single one of our guys played anywhere near their potential, poor defence, invisible midfield, ineffectual strikers. Thought O'Keefe looked decent when he came on. 

If I remember correctly, O'Keefe made his first appearance against Albion Rovers.

He came on against Stranraer and played well.

Tonight, I thought he lit things up when he came on.

35 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Winning the challenge cup =/= cup glory. There's two national cup competitions a season, they're important to the football club for several reasons.

This is JR's first summer transfer window as a full time manager, and his lack of experience is showing. Let's hope he learns from his mistakes and doesn't enter the league cup with such a woefully undercooked squad again.

The most important thing for JR to get into his head about Cups and some success in them, is that a cup run generates the cash to pay for new players and his salary if he wants another shot at it.  From what I've seen he MUST know this and be aghast at tonight's non-performance by HIS team.

i find it almost incredible that Alex Rae seems to have the potential in last year's daft exit from this cup - to have been more succesful than this year is looking....

Not at all good.

8 minutes ago, st jock said:

Gary mac and Morgan only players for me who got pass marks. Livingston played like dumbarton. If we can get a bit more streetwise and get a proven striker in we will be fine, especially if Davis signs tomorrow.

I thought Samson played ok . Didn't have much to do , but looked assured when called upon.

20 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Ok - Let me say it - you were right to have a bad feeling about tonight's game.

No cause to say that.

he's not being right, just consistent.  He never has anything but bad to offer about Saints even when they're 2 up with 10 minutes left.

consistency - that's all.

And consistently NOT right in the latter part of last season. :P

Won't be so down on the performance tonight. Reminded me of Dumbarton away back in Jan/Feb where a new team came together and need to gel.

thought there were some encouraging passages of play where there 'killer' ball was just off. If some had connected then it would have resulted in a goal, such as McShane's over the top ball that Reilly just lost in flight.

It'll come.

We clearly need a few strikers if we're going to challenge. Tonight's game felt like a pre season friendly that didn't matter, someone should have told our players it wasn't. I hope that we can get our tactics and match fitness up to speed when the important stuff starts (the league). Not pressing panic button just yet but hopefully tonight a wake up call for Jack and the players.

Basic technique was lacking tonight.

Poor first touch, cheap loss of possession, and poor passing among other things.

Someone has mentioned that Livingston played like Dumbarton tonight. I think that's correct, though they were more cynical with it. We will struggle to open up teams like that unless we brush up on maintaining possession and using the full width if the pitch more effectively.

There was also a lack of decisiveness and urgency. Players were dwelling on the ball and too slow to make telling passes, allowing Livingston to regroup and close us down.

There is plenty to work on, and time to do it. I'm sure none of the above issues will have escaped JR.

We need to return to the expansive play that served us well at the end of last season, but realise that teams like Livingston will make that hard for us.

3 minutes ago, antrin said:

No cause to say that.

he's not being right, just consistent.  He never has anything but bad to offer about Saints even when they're 2 up with 10 minutes left.

Aye, even a broken clock, etc....

Woeful second half. Easily bullied off ball, stelios and Irvine barely put an accurate pass in all night, midfield absent last 45 and resorted to humping high balls up which Livingston took full advantage of. Morgan put in a number of excellent crosses but strikers to small and lacking instinct to be on end of them. Felt it looked like a team very unfamiliar with one another. I can see us being better away from home again this season but bit worried about how we fail to deal with teams that sit in. Samson looked like he would rather be playing beach volleyball given some of his bizarre clearances. Early days and still hopeful for this season, but also depressed to see familiar inability to pass accurately and resorting to hopeful punts. Referee did not help cause.

5 minutes ago, antrin said:

No cause to say that.

Then I can say so on, what seems to be commonly believed, the many times he is wrong to say so.

But I get your point.

Gary mac and Morgan only players for me who got pass marks. Livingston played like dumbarton. If we can get a bit more streetwise and get a proven striker in we will be fine, especially if Davis signs tomorrow.

I am a massive Morgan fan. but tonight was prob his worst game for us since he broke into the team. but we know he will come good. The rest were awful tonight. Mcginn looked a shadow of the player who played last season. but we know he is a great player. but upfront we have nothing. we need to get a decent front man in before the league season starts.

Morgan was the only player who had a half-decent showing tonight.

We know the likes of McGinn, MacKenzie, Stelios, and Irvine are better than that, so no reason to be despondent. McShane looks like a solid enough acquisition.

1 hour ago, Markyboy72 said:

Here's hoping. You have to be the most negative, depressing poster on the whole f**kin internet!

Why for telling  it as I see it open your f**king eyes man are you blind we are PISH. 

1 hour ago, Ethan said:

Well the good feeling didn't last long. Bad result yes but lets face it the team will improve. Davis signing is a huge bonus and Jack is looking for a striker. Once we get the right player in night's like tonight will not happen to often. 

Bollox. 

14 minutes ago, Drew said:

Morgan was the only player who had a half-decent showing tonight.

We know the likes of McGinn, MacKenzie, Stelios, and Irvine are better than that, so no reason to be despondent. McShane looks like a solid enough acquisition.

Mallan's replacement , but although his dead balls are good , he's no where near the player Stevie became ! Didn't think he stamped any authority on the game whatsoever !