St Mirren V Livingston - Top of The Group Table Clash

St.Ricky

We need a hard man skilled in the art of football to be Minder to the rest of our Team and take care of the cowardly , cheating Jessie Neds of the opposition. 

We were bullied against Dundee and again last night. 

An Abercromby or a McWhirter type. 

Jack says we are too nice and that is going to be a major problem. 

Need to get streetwise very quickly. 

Jack will sort it. 

1 minute ago, shull said:

We need a hard man skilled in the art of football to be Minder to the rest of our Team and take care of the cowardly , cheating Jessie Neds of the opposition. 

Jack will sort it. 

Aye, get him on the train to away games, sorted. :lol:

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Trying to take a broad brush stroke view of those who have attended games so far, the thing that seems to crop up a lot is that the likes of Dundee and Livingston have been (I paraphrase) bigger tougher bully boys than St Mirren, who aren't adverse to sticking the odd boot in, even in a so called friendly..... and a real friendly like the Dundee game.

This sounds very much like the time Hamilton came to our patch and Alex Neil put in a tremendous one-man midfield performance that involved kicking John McGinn and Kenny McLean up the arse, putting them right out the game. The second part of his plan was finding cunning ways to appear invisible to the referee. Also, he could play fitba'. Wish he was in our team.

We need to wise up. Fair comment?

Aye, fair comment (based on last night). JR even said in his post match interview that we are "too nice" or words very much to that effect.

We need to be more street-wise, and develop a harder edge. Hopefully that can be coached into the players - even if that means bringing someone in to do it.

6 minutes ago, shull said:

Jack will sort it. 

Apologies - missed this before making my last post.

I very much concur!

Good to see TopCat continuing his Theresa "Strong and stable" May impression with his constant obsessing over guys making the step up from part-time football. Repeat it often enough and folk might eventually start believing your nonsense.

"First summer window as a full time manager" - what, did he only spend half of his summer at Alloa looking for players and the rest of his time scratching his arse? :lol:

Edited by Stu

Unlike some I won't rush in with my petted lip and criticise any of the players, based on one showing last night.

Bar the first couple of minutes of the first half, where we defended atrociously, we were by far the better team, and with more composure in front of goal, we could have been a couple of goals to the good at HT. We still weren't that great though.

In the second half we were extremely flat and too many players went missing, until the last 15 minutes, when a sense of urgency seemed to appear and, possibly due to the introduction of O'Keefe, we actually looked liked scoring again.

Overall - not good enough. However, I'm sure the players know that, and it's up to them and the management team to improve matters in time for the Falkirk game.

Missing out on Loy could be huge for us, and IMO we desperately need to bring in a player of a similar stature and experience, even if Reilly does regain his previous scoring form.

I think a lot of last night can be put down to the fact that this is effectively still pre season but unfortunately the games are now more meaningful. Some of our players are still in pre season mode and Jack needs to try and fix that before Saturday.  We definitely need another striker, big Sutton can only give us a decent half hour stint now and we need someone that can last the whole game if need be. Reilly may come good but that's still not enough up front.

Edited by proudtobeabuddy

9 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Unlike some I won't rush in with my petted lip and criticise any of the players, based on one showing last night.

Bar the first couple of minutes of the first half, where we defended atrociously, we were by far the better team, and with more composure in front of goal, we could have been a couple of goals to the good at HT. We still weren't that great though.

In the second half we were extremely flat and too many players went missing, until the last 15 minutes, when a sense of urgency seemed to appear and, possibly due to the introduction of O'Keefe, we actually looked liked scoring again.

Overall - not good enough. However, I'm sure the players know that, and it's up to them and the management team to improve matters in time for the Falkirk game.

Missing out on Loy could be huge for us, and IMO we desperately need to bring in a player of a similar stature and experience, even if Reilly does regain his previous scoring form.

I agree on the requirement for an experienced forward. For whatever reason, Sutton doesn't seem to feature heavily in JR's plans. I like John, but he lacks to mobility and ability to link up with those around him that Loy demonstrated latterly.

Loy developed a good understanding with Mallan, Morgan, and Smith. Sutton won't get enough game time and isn't the same kind of player in any event, so is unlikely to be able to do likewise. Dare I say it, but a Scott McDonald type would actually fit the bill quite nicely.

We need more experience up top, absolutely no doubt about that.

Even Alex Rae could put together a (disjointed) team that could beat Livi in the League Cup Group Stages last season :rolleyes:

No point in getting too up nor down at this stage of the season. We're still in with a chance of qualification in this competition, not that I'd be that bothered if we don't as the league is the priority this season. A wee cup run would be nice but I'd rather keep that for the Scottish this season :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Didn't attend last night, so cant comment on our performance, but not surprised if it was as has been widely described on here as 'Jobbie'...

if you ignore the two highland friendlies against pub sides, we have lost to a team in the league above us (no surprise), drawn at home with a team in league below (Goody has got them organised) and saw off a poor Stranraer side (look what Airdrie did to them) in what many including myself commented on as 'more like a pre-season game' as when we moved up a gear there was only going to be one winner.

last night we were up against a side who won their league well, Saturday against Thistle will give a half decent analysis of what our form may be in the League, as will playing an Airdrie side who can play a bit.

The whole season lies ahead, may be time though to check-in with reality.

Stranraer only had 9 players last night when 2 were sent off including their keeper so I do not think we can read anything into that game.

To be fair, Livingston were much better than I thought they would be and appeared really up for the game.

The outplayed us in almost every department.  And were definitely first to all the lose balls.

The 4-2-3-1 formation really didn't work very well, and when we had the ball we were painfully slow in getting it forward.

Nothing like enough movement in forward areas, we were extremely weak in that area last night. Also pretty weak on set pieces.

Overall 2-3 players and a lot of hard work short of having a team challenging for promotion.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Equally, this could be said for all the players that we should perhaps not be making final calls on any of them in mid July. Whether they've previously been here or not. 

Find it astounding that folk can summarise that we've had a poor transfer window when they've barely seen any of the players in action, there are players still to arrive and there are six full weeks of the window left. 

With two key players injured possibly three if Smith signs today. It's the same posters who always tend to be doom merchants. 

It's just mid July but who can blame us for having a 'deja vu' feeling after the nightmare of the first half of last season (and what went before)!

However, although last night's performance was disappointing, we should remind ourselves that we were missing 4 injured players who could have made a difference; it is hopeful that Harry Davis will be restored to our ranks; and we could still add a couple of players before the transfer window closes.

Most of the new signings have at least shown the potential to become assets to the squad once they settle in and hopefully find a bit of belief in themselves at this level.

We must have faith that JR and his team can get the squad organised for the league season ahead and repeat the minor miracle of last season.

Edited by northstbuddie

3 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Highlighting the fact that beating Stranraer is not akin to verging on qualifying for the champions leage group stages. Taking the result in the rounds doesn't show we are displaying title challenging form as yet.

Nobody at any point has said beating Stranraer is akin to verging on qualifying for the champions league group stages. Your ability to make things up and paint false pictures is far greater than your ability to talk any sense.

What utter garbled nonsense you spew.

Been reading we had a number of players missing because of injury but apart from Magennis and Eckersley who else would have likely have started ?  Reading the reports from fans who went, I am hoping the new players who were playing their 1st game for us at home were affected by nerves and will soon settle in to their new playing surrounding. I have not seen us this season but certainly a main striker is a must.   Crowd was 2104 which I thought was ok for a game in midweek and in the middle of July.

I'm gutted. Everything shite about St Mirren in one post... yet you missed the HoF panels not being updated in over four years and SMiSA members being asked to vote on extremely expensive replacements for something that is already 97.5% in place.
Poor show mate. [emoji14]

You are quite right, it was a shabby effort not worthy of bandwa pedant scrutiny.
I clean overlooked Paisley international airport taxi driving late lane changing twatterry, the Paisley piazza, business rates, clown councillors, pubs closing, all spangles everywhere, far flung fandans and the fact the wee Barrel and Cosmo didn't relocate. Selfish bassas. Finally, not forgetting we just want stripes, simple striped tops in a stocked shop, not red chessboards, oh and Mehmet, McPherson, Davie Hay, Gordon Smith, Andy Mullen, Willie Collum ohh and of course Div, just acht, acht, just because ..........

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Stranraer only had 9 players last night when 2 were sent off including their keeper so I do not think we can read anything into that game.

Ahhh.. so being so poor against another team in your league that you pick up red cards is a sign of strength?

of course you can read into that Stranraer were piss poor again last night. I wonder how many Livi and Thistle will rack up against them?

We weren't that bad. Certainly not bad enough to write off our entire season and all the new signings after one game. We missed 3-4 clear cut chances that unfortunately we didn't even trouble the keeper with on a couple of occasions, and that is a worry, and we lost a soft goal, where I think Buchanan lost the ball in the sun and just didn't get enough on the clearance. We were struggling under the high ball the whole first half due to the sun. I really hope we didn't win the toss, because we had all the disadvantages and none of the advantages of the low sun as it was away by the time the second half kicked off.

Think the formation needs a bit of work as well. We were essentially playing a 4-2-4, but Stewart did not look comfortable at all on the right, there was too big a gap between midfield and attack, and the midfield and full back areas were being over-run when we lost the ball. I think it might be worth sacrificing one of the 4 up front, probably Stewart, and bringing Quinn into a 3 man midfield, with Smith, Morgan and one of the strikers as the front 3.

1 hour ago, santaponsasaint said:

Your right we were not pish. we were not that good. It was awful. call a spade a spade ffs.

What a total exaggeration mate. Bit off the boil last night, but dominated the game - why write it off as us merely being pish? Loads more to it than that.