St Mirren V Livingston - Top of The Group Table Clash

St.Ricky

33 minutes ago, Soctty said:

What a total exaggeration mate. Bit off the boil last night, but dominated the game - why write it off as us merely being pish? Loads more to it than that.

Surprised we've not seen our first "am no' going back" post yet...canny be far away after some of the meltdowns.

11 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Surprised we've not seen our first "am no' going back" post yet...canny be far away after some of the meltdowns.

I didnae' go in the first place, so ahm' definitely no' goin'.... until this shitfest 'exciting format that has the fans energised' ends, and the league starts.

[emoji38] Nice to see you've calmed down from last night.

Robert. there's guys we've signed would struggle to get a game in league 1 or 2. I'm not gonna mention there names again. And im not having a go at JR but his tactics Las night were woeful. High balls to Reilly while a 6ft odd guy was virtually playing right wing. It was a terrible disjointed performance. This was a league cup game not a pre season friendly so it mattered. but someone forgot to tell the players.

Just now, santaponsasaint said:

Robert. there's guys we've signed would struggle to get a game in league 1 or 2. I'm not gonna mention there names again. And pm not having a go at JR but his tactics Las night were woeful. High balls to Reilly while a 6ft odd guy was virtually playing right wing. It was a terrible disjointed performance. This was a league cup game not a pre season friendly so it mattered. but someone forgot to tell the players.

Based on what? Two or three games? I'm not suggesting everyone will be a stellar success but FFS Gary. It was a poor performance but as I said to you last night when you were suggesting some of us were and I quote 'f**king stupid' for applauding Stephen McGinn, it IS a learning curve we're on. It's not ideal but it's still mid-July FFS. This time any other year up until 2016, we'd have been playing Wigan or something at this point in the pre-season.

I'm happy to see us use the league cup to whittle down who will be playing and who won't in the league campaign.

9 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

oh sorry. we were excellent on the night. beaten by a brilliant Livingston team. ya numpty. what would you call it.

And again...overreacting. There are shades of grey you know? We were somewhere in there.

3 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

Robert. there's guys we've signed would struggle to get a game in league 1 or 2. I'm not gonna mention there names again. And im not having a go at JR but his tactics Las night were woeful. High balls to Reilly while a 6ft odd guy was virtually playing right wing. It was a terrible disjointed performance. This was a league cup game not a pre season friendly so it mattered. but someone forgot to tell the players.

Good point.

While it's way too early to get upset :rolleyes: it also shouldn't be forgotten this was a cup game that could earn us some money and the paying public coughed up to watch it.

5 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

Name names...cos I think you're exaggerating again...

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm happy to see us use the league cup to whittle down who will be playing and who won't in the league campaign.

I think that's what these group matches unfortunately are for a lot of the teams. I'm not happy about it, not at all. The treble that Celtic deservedly won is (clearly!) made up of the top flight championship, and the League and Scottish Cups. For us, it is the second tier championship, and the two cups. Every season, I harbour hopes that St Mirren can once more win one of the two cups. This group stage stuff is utter shit though. Utter, utter shit.

38 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

oh sorry. we were excellent on the night. beaten by a brilliant Livingston team. ya numpty. what would you call it.

Feel free to go back and read my post on the game drama queen.

At least you're in the running for the first SPFL meltdown of the month award.:rolleyes:

Edited by FTOF

Team is going to take time to gel - we've lost Mallen and Magennis from our midfield and it is clear we are struggling a bit in there as new players bed in. It is just a shame as at the end of last season the link play between midfield and attack was best we've had for a long time. Loy was also a part of that so to a certain extent we are starting again ......... our strike force worries me though and reckon we need to look at that as a priority ! 

36 minutes ago, FTOF said:

At least you're in the running for the first SPFL meltdown of the month award.:rolleyes:

I'm going to have a meltdown if one more person types 'Stevie Mallen' or 'Stevie Mallon'.... is it just me? :angry:

Aye, it's just you, ya' torn-faced bawbag. :P

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

He will need to be quick ...............

He's miles behind. :1eye

Can't believe last nights performance, it was a mixture of poor managers tactics and lack of players ability in breaking down a stubborn team who were there to stop anyone playing football, desperately need a tough tall striker in his mid twenties, Reilly and Smith are good players but they are a bit short for out and out strikers. They need a younger version of Sutton playing with them.

If Samson stands his ground there, instead of retreating to the goal line like he did, he'd narrow the angle considerably and have a far better chance of making the save.

This is not the worst example of it, but I remember from the past that he seemed to be getting beaten by the perfect shot from long range more often than you'd expect that to happen. Often he was shooting himself in the foot with his positioning.

Edited by Dirty Sanchez

What an awful let down from last seasons end when we looked capable of taking on anyone. I could hardly recognise anyone from this team for starters and when John Sutton came on as sub to try and salvage the game I could have cried. If that's our striking options then its another season of nothing, or even worse.

Surely having sold our best player for a lot of money, it should be used to buy a goal scorer. Only player to catch the eye was the last sub who came on, wee chap who scored the disallowed goal. I accept its still early but elimination from the league cup is a poor show and leaves us with the Scottish and a scrap for one of the play off places. Defeat on Saturday, which looks likely, rules out one third of the season. I hope the players have been reminded of that. 

12 minutes ago, Froggie said:

What an awful let down from last seasons end when we looked capable of taking on anyone. I could hardly recognise anyone from this team for starters and when John Sutton came on as sub to try and salvage the game I could have cried. If that's our striking options then its another season of nothing, or even worse.

Surely having sold our best player for a lot of money, it should be used to buy a goal scorer. Only player to catch the eye was the last sub who came on, wee chap who scored the disallowed goal. I accept its still early but elimination from the league cup is a poor show and leaves us with the Scottish and a scrap for one of the play off places. Defeat on Saturday, which looks likely, rules out one third of the season. I hope the players have been reminded of that. 

Are you actually a frog?

24 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Are you actually a frog?

A frog with arithmetic problems.

One third of a season?:rolleyes:

Short sighted too.

As far as I could see McKenzie, Irvine, Stelios, Smith, McGinn and Morgan all looked pretty similar in comparison to last season.

Edited by FTOF

13 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

If Samson stands his ground there, instead of retreating to the goal line like he did, he'd narrow the angle considerably and have a far better chance of making the save.

This is not the worst example of it, but I remember from the past that he seemed to be getting beaten by the perfect shot from long range more often than you'd expect that to happen. Often he was shooting himself in the foot with his positioning.

typical Samson,one of many bad faults he has,as said before,wouldn't have touched him with a barge pole

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:15 AM, FTOF said:

Unlike some I won't rush in with my petted lip and criticise any of the players, based on one showing last night.

Bar the first couple of minutes of the first half, where we defended atrociously, we were by far the better team, and with more composure in front of goal, we could have been a couple of goals to the good at HT. We still weren't that great though.

In the second half we were extremely flat and too many players went missing, until the last 15 minutes, when a sense of urgency seemed to appear and, possibly due to the introduction of O'Keefe, we actually looked liked scoring again.

Overall - not good enough. However, I'm sure the players know that, and it's up to them and the management team to improve matters in time for the Falkirk game.

Missing out on Loy could be huge for us, and IMO we desperately need to bring in a player of a similar stature and experience, even if Reilly does regain his previous scoring form.

I believe we saw a cameo appearance from O'Keefe in the Irn Bru diddy cup final. Under 10 minutes if I remember correctly and, even with that limited introduction a lot of us felt he has something special about him. This might be his breakthrough year. A silver lining in a very cloudy performance.