St Mirren V Livingston - Top of The Group Table Clash

St.Ricky

19 hours ago, paul torfason said:

typical Samson,one of many bad faults he has,as said before,wouldn't have touched him with a barge pole

Would hardly say the goal was Samson's fault. Gary Mac, Stelios, Buchanan and one of the midfielders should have all done better.

could believe the level of abuse he got the other night, totally unwarranted.

Love how the the new guy and the cheesy of goalkeeping land the blame whilst fans favourite Gary Mac escapes the criticism from most. 

Buchan could do much there with the height the ball was fired at the Livy striker, any sort of challenge could have resulted in a penalty. 

Mackenzie totally goes to sleep and leaves his player to run off him and get a free strike at goal. Poor concentration from one of our best players. I'm sure he'll sharpen up. 

Samson, not much he could do. It was a well hit shot, low to the ground and near to the corner.  

It was a well worked goal from Livy. 

It's still July, League campaign hasn't started yet but it's a big wake up call for us. This isn't going to be a stroll in the park to achieve the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, renfrew said:

Having watch the goal I don't really see how anybody is to blame. Well worked goal and I have never understood why there always need to be someone at fault :huh:

Personally, I thought the goal was completely avoidable. While the shot itself was reasonably hit, if we'd have been stronger and more alert then someone would have picked up the second ball.

8 minutes ago, munoz said:

Anyone that thinks Sammy was at fault for Livi's goal knows hee haw about football . Some just love a scapegoat.

Football can be enjoyed without having a great knowledge about it. 

Do we need to pass a Test before having an opinion on this Sport ? 

If some think Samson was at fault, so what ? 

That's just the way they see it. 

Samson ain't the worst we have had and is far from being the best. 

5/10 and will always be a St Mirren Legend 

1 minute ago, shull said:

Football can be enjoyed without having a great knowledge about it. 

Do we need to pass a Test before having an opinion on this Sport ? 

If some think Samson was at fault, so what ? 

That's just the way they see it. 

Samson ain't the worst we have had and is far from being the best. 

5/10 and will always be a St Mirren Legend 

Worse than Samson were 

Gilmour, Ally Hunter, Chris Smith, Howard and Ridgers. 

None deserve more than 1/10.

Just like Munoz's rating on his contribution to this Forum.  :D

10 minutes ago, shull said:

Worse than Samson were 

Time to join the ever growing "Shull on ignore club" .

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, aldo_j said:

Personally, I thought the goal was completely avoidable. While the shot itself was reasonably hit, if we'd have been stronger and more alert then someone would have picked up the second ball.

It is all about opinion but fans need to remember players are only human, and trying to stay aware for 90mins is an impossible ask. I don't think anybody is to blame but it could be said that all games would end 0-0 if there was no errors.

On 19/07/2017 at 11:02 PM, Dirty Sanchez said:

If Samson stands his ground there, instead of retreating to the goal line like he did, he'd narrow the angle considerably and have a far better chance of making the save.

This is not the worst example of it, but I remember from the past that he seemed to be getting beaten by the perfect shot from long range more often than you'd expect that to happen. Often he was shooting himself in the foot with his positioning.

As far as I can see the furthest he retreated was a yard. As he was stationed in the middle of the goal the narrowing of the angle would have been minimal if he had stayed where he was when the ball was chested down. To my mind the player mainly at fault was Buchanan who should have been able to head the ball away instead of being held off by a considerably smaller player.  He was constantly unable to attack such balls throughout the game and I said early on that Jack Baird would have dealt with these balls.

1 hour ago, smcc said:

As far as I can see the furthest he retreated was a yard. As he was stationed in the middle of the goal the narrowing of the angle would have been minimal if he had stayed where he was when the ball was chested down. To my mind the player mainly at fault was Buchanan who should have been able to head the ball away instead of being held off by a considerably smaller player.  He was constantly unable to attack such balls throughout the game and I said early on that Jack Baird would have dealt with these balls.

100% Buchanan's fault - allowed himself to be bullied and bustled, letting the player lay it on a plate for Carrick. Samson in no way to blame for me.

In which case Jack will most certainly be noting these things... Glad he is the gaffer and not us!

A supporters lot is so much easier... Just support!

How hard can that be?

More blinkered posts. 

Buchanan couldn't have made any more of an attempt to head that ball, if he tried he would have bundled the Livy player over and probably given away a penalty. The Livy player was already looking for one with the challenge he made.

Watch Gary Mac who looked like he still had a Bankhouse hangover. 

All goals are avoidable but to be fair, this was a well worked goal. 

Edited by davidg

8 hours ago, smcc said:

It's not my intention to have a witch hunt to find someone to blame for the goal. I've got plenty of time for the guy. It's an observation that in the past his positioning has made it harder for him to make saves, and this one put me in mind of it, albeit this one is far from being a howler, as I acknowledged.  It's irrefutable geometry that the target is smaller for the attacker if the goalkeeper is further forward, and he wasn't far away from saving it as it was. To be fair, though, the power might have beat him anyway, never mind the direction.

Can't say I agree with your observations, though. If that's a retreat of one yard, then it must be the three yard box that he's standing in. Also, he has fully retreated by the time the ball is chested down.

8 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

It's not my intention to have a witch hunt to find someone to blame for the goal. I've got plenty of time for the guy. It's an observation that in the past his positioning has made it harder for him to make saves, and this one put me in mind of it, albeit this one is far from being a howler, as I acknowledged.  It's irrefutable geometry that the target is smaller for the attacker if the goalkeeper is further forward, and he wasn't far away from saving it as it was. To be fair, though, the power might have beat him anyway, never mind the direction.

Can't say I agree with your observations, though. If that's a retreat of one yard, then it must be the three yard box that he's standing in. Also, he has fully retreated by the time the ball is chested down.

Really?

You're talking about, in your opinion, geometry, targets, power, direction...........................I suggest you stop playing computer games and just relax a little.

We lost a goal.....................not the first this season and not the last.

Edited by faraway saint

10 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Have to disagree. By the time the ball was chested down he was virtually on the goal line.

Just watched the goal for the first time. I cannot believe some are blaming Samson. IMO, McKenzie was woeful , letting his man simply drift away from him to score . Even if he didn`t get a challenge in , he certainly should have been closer to the Ferranti guy and made it difficult to get a clean shot. Basic lapse of concentration.

12 hours ago, smcc said:

Have to disagree. By the time the ball was chested down he was virtually on the goal line.

Erm....that's what I said. It was you that said he wasn't. :wacko:

You can't even agree with yourself, never mind me.

On 21/07/2017 at 2:03 PM, smcc said:

narrowing of the angle would have been minimal if he had stayed where he was when the ball was chested down

22 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

he has fully retreated by the time the ball is chested down.

9 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Erm....that's what I said. It was you that said he wasn't. :wacko:

You can't even agree with yourself, never mind me.

This is the least of our worries after today tbh.

I can't be arsed responding to the others individually, but look at the initial post.

It's not about saying we lost a lost a goal 'because of Craig Samson'. It's an off the cuff aside about him making it harder for himself. There's all sorts of things contributing to that goal including good play. Some might say that goes without saying. 

Anyway. Bald guys and combs.

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:24 AM, FTOF said:

A frog with arithmetic problems.

One third of a season?:rolleyes:

Short sighted too.

As far as I could see McKenzie, Irvine, Stelios, Smith, McGinn and Morgan all looked pretty similar in comparison to last season.

Some of the players may facially have looked similar but it ends there. Lucky to escape with just the 5 goal defeat and out of the League cup on July 22. that leaves us the Scottish cup and the Second division (forget the Irn Bru cup that's nonsense) so I make it one third of anything we could win. Not that this team will win on that showing. I am not doubting JR yet, but get the money received for Mallan spent on a centre or forget it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21 July 2017 at 0:45 PM, shull said:

Worse than Samson were

FFS Ally Hunter couldn't have played more than a handful of games for us.  :D

Didn't he only play in a short spell when Donald was injured. Also despite it being a very long time ago and my memory isn't quite what it was, I don't even remember him doing anything particularly horrific in that handful of games. Thought he was a fairly reliable temporary replacement.