Mixing Of Family Stand

On the way to a Match in the 1990's, my daughter aged 6 at the time burst into song... 
BARCELONA , REAL MADRID, WHO THE FECK ARE YOU TRYING TO KID.... 
I was horrified, she just smirked and carried on singing. 

Horrified she knew the words & you didnae ?

Did you join in ?

Swearing is not allowed in the family stand. Nobody is trying to eradicate it from football, only from where families sit, with children of all ages. Pretty sure this is a reasonable measure for a family stand, and trying to bring families into the support.

5 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Swearing is not allowed in the family stand. Nobody is trying to eradicate it from football, only from where families sit, with children of all ages. Pretty sure this is a reasonable measure for a family stand, and trying to bring families into the support.

Agree with that Soctty. At least then people have a choice.

From my personal point of view, I'd always want me and my child to get the best possible match experience. For me that's view and atmosphere. Swearing wouldn't come into the equation. But absolutely appreciated it's different strokes for different folks.

8 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Exactly.

I think everyone is entitled to choose where they want to sit and the level of unacceptable language.

There's swearing and the constant tirade that many see as the norm, quite a difference.

I'm sure, even I have uttered the odd expletive but not as part of my daily conversation.

FFS. :P

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Exactly.

I think everyone is entitled to choose where they want to sit and the level of unacceptable language.

There's swearing and the constant tirade that many see as the norm, quite a difference.

I'm sure, even I have uttered the odd expletive but not as part of my daily conversation.

Goody two shoes!

I pure say sweary words aw the time so ah dae.

Makes me big and clever!

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

From my personal point of view, I'd always want me and my child to get the best possible match experience. For me that's view and atmosphere. Swearing wouldn't come into the equation. But absolutely appreciated it's different strokes for different folks.

I've been in the Family Stand for the past 5 years, first with all 3 of my kids, then 2 of my kids and my nephew, and now with just my son with me. Part of the reason for being there was the cost, as a family ticket was such great value, but part was because my kids were very young and I'd rather they didn't hear loads of swearing at a football match at that age.

Now they're all a bit older, their vocabulary has become more colourful and diverse mind you, but when you kids are around, the language should be toned down - I've had to do it myself after 25 years in the North Bank...

1 hour ago, woiiftm said:

Why should we have to move when there is a dedicated away section in West stand for cup games not to mention us having an actual away stand?

You then open up the discussion regarding what point there is in being allowed to purchase your own season ticket seat for the season when you're only going to be forced to move elsewhere!

Accept all of that.

But, seeing as they did put them into the West Stand, why not segregate them?

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Exactly.

At the match I - as have others - have lost my temper, shouted and bawled at the ref or the opposition or even just shown some frustration. In other areas of the ground I'd let rip, but in the Family Stand I keep the bad words in and just shout a bit louder to compensate...:wink:

Just now, Soctty said:

At the match I - as have others - have lost my temper, shouted and bawled at the ref or the opposition or even just shown some frustration. In other areas of the ground I'd let rip, but in the Family Stand I keep the bad words in and just shout a bit louder to compensate...:wink:

Aye, we know BIG GOB. :P

6 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Where I sat in the northbank was depressing listening to adults shout abuse at young boys when we were not playing well. When we moved to Greenhill road i opted the move to the mainstand which was refreshing for a match day experience. You might hear the odd swearing and negative shouting nothing compared to the old northbank. Surely there is signs in the family stand saying bad language will not be tolerated  ? 

5 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Where I sat in the northbank was depressing listening to adults shout abuse at young boys when we were not playing well. When we moved to Greenhill road i opted the move to the mainstand which was refreshing for a match day experience. You might hear the odd swearing and negative shouting nothing compared to the old northbank. Surely there is signs in the family stand saying bad language will not be tolerated  ? 

There are signs in the family stand, and I can't remember the last time I heard swearing in there. There is plenty of shouting and bawling from certain areas, but the language is kept convivial*...

*That might be stretching it a little, but it's clean! :D

Just to further prove the "different strokes" point, there was a woman sitting behind me at the Irn Bru Cup final.

I can categorically reveal that she didn't utter one expletive during the entire match, but she still irritated the absolute feck out of me for virtually the whole 90 mins. Her unique brand of squealing combined with utter cluelessness (word?) was far more likely to have me scurrying for the exits, than any simple bad language.

Disclaimer - This is not a chauvinistic post. The fact that this post mentions a woman is purely factual. Over the years I have heard plenty men equally clueless. 

20 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Just to further prove the "different strokes" point, there was a woman sitting behind me at the Irn Bru Cup final.

I can categorically reveal that she didn't utter one expletive during the entire match, but she still irritated the absolute feck out of me for virtually the whole 90 mins. Her unique brand of squealing combined with utter cluelessness (word?) was far more likely to have me scurrying for the exits, than any simple bad language.

Disclaimer - This is not a chauvinistic post. The fact that this post mentions a woman is purely factual. Over the years I have heard plenty men equally clueless. 

Aye, and many of those men were our managers.

So, as things stand, the club say to fans, if you hit 1000 STs in the West Stand, it will be 'all Saints' unless there's a cup game where we will need to pap the away fans in there. A couple of weeks later,  a cup game comes along, and a small away support is papped into an unsegregated St Mirren family stand, where the 'no swearing' mantra wasn't respected.

Well played St Mirren BoD, well played.

7 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Obviously it's not acceptable to many FS. That is clear from this thread alone.

As ever, I'm only giving my opinion.

As for times changing, in the (VERY) unlikely event of me having another child, my views on how to bring them up certainly wouldn't change. If I didn't want my kid to hear swear words, I wouldn't take them to a fitba match. I just happen to believe that there are worse things in the world than your child hearing swear words (that they've probably heard a hundred times before anyway). It's just my personal view, but I think this sort of attitude says more about the parent's inability to handle or deal with this situation, than it does about the effect on the child.

I am a Saints Fan..not a saint  I am sure that many if not most of us have sworn at one time or another. I think the point is whether or not this is the common culture at the ground..I don't think so. Is it the culture in the family stand...certainly not. As for the West Stand....I understand that some swearing is going to take place.  But...90 minutes full of nothing but swearing from any individual or groups? I don't think so. Despite the impression I might have given, Paisley and the Saints Fans are generally well behaved and courteous to others. I love the drum.  I love the noise the young guys make 

Edited by St.Ricky

1 minute ago, St.Ricky said:

I am a Saints Fan..not a saint  I am sure that many if not most of us have sworn at one time or another. I think the point is whether or not this is the common culture at the ground..I don't think so. Is it the culture in the family stand...certainly not. As for the West Stand....I understand that some swearing is going to take place.  But...90 minutes full of nothing but swearing from any individual or groups. Despite the impression I night have given, Paisley and the Saints Fans are generally well behaved and courteous to others. I love the drum.  I love the noise the young guys male 

There's a difference between 'swearing at tbe fitba' and the kind of non-stop drunken vile tirades of abuse that I'm sure we have all witnessed at some point. At various times, I have let go the odd 'fcuk sake Cheesy!' cry... or, for example, if Neil Lennon struts across our patch like a fanny, the odd 'fcuk off Lennon!' type of comment. Maybe even 'fcuk off Lennon you fanny' if I was in a right tizz.

Lucky if I do that once a game. I know how to behave in public. Some folk clearly don't. 

right here goes my auld man has his season tkt where livi fans were he got his smartcard activated for the game went to his seat livi fan on ...thats my seat ma friend ..aw for f**ksake sit somewhere else the auld yin dug his heels in naw move the guy hummed and hawd dad got his seat but got snidey comments all through game . my dad  a placid auld fecker 80years old 73 years watching st mirren  spitting feathers went down to ground wed morning to complain got told sorry nobody in to talk to you will need to come back they just palmed him off