Partick V St Mirren 22/7/17

Realistically. Massively disappointed but not yet writing our season off. Too early for that, in my opinion. I have bought my season ticket so the club have my money for the season ahead. Needs: Lightweight up front. Susceptible in full back positions.

On a final point, Jordan Kirkpatrick is this season's Scott Agnew. I was surprised when we signed him and I've not been surprised by his performances.

It's (very) early days but I have to say I'm concerned at the quality of the signings we've made.

It's effectively a continuation of my thoughts on Josh Todd, but I'll be surprised if both the Stewart's, Kirkpatrick, Reilly and Hilson will be effective players in a Saints jersey. Most of them reek John Robertson / Gareth Wardlaw / Scott Agnew to me. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Not a bad day at the office simply put we have too many players not good enough to step up to championship level. Another worry we had 4 players started in midfield yet Thistle did not need to get into first gear to over run our midfield. From what I have seen so far we have no chance of promotion Jack has taken on more than he can chew. I would have Sutton worked on with wide players throwing in crosses in the training ground. Midfield needs stiffened up McGinn can't do it all by himself. Worrying very worrying. 

What can we say about today ?  No shape , no fight , no skill ,no leadership ,no goals and no chance summed us up. Thistle were superior to us in every department.

The young lad Whyte had an absolute mare today , but who in our defence could say they were happy with their performance ? both Baird and Mack made basic errors and had no spark between them and Irvine showed yet again why he isnt a left back

Midfield was just as bad, McGinn and McShane played far too close to each other and seemed not to know what their role was.... early days but can these two play in the same team. I`m told We had other players in Midfield but i cant seem to recall them !! & BTW , would the real Lewis Morgan please return to St.mirren park !

Up front. Nothing. Zilch, Nada, hee-haw. Not good enough .

Very small positive, young O`Keefe looked interested and at times skillful when he came on , but can someone please explain to me how a young, fit, fulltime professional football player can look so knackered after only ten minutes ?!?  :huh:

Let hope JR has a few gems lined up.

Finally , Despite having an absolute stinker of a game , at least Stephen McGinn had the decency to look embarrassed when he came over to the fans at the end of the game. 

49 minutes ago, HSS said:

Thistle knocked the ball about nicely but they were hardly "brilliant".

Well, I was impressed.

I thought, in the first half, you could see why they finished top 6 in the Premiership last season. Certainly better than anything we'd see in the Championship. And yes, we stood off them too much, but goals 2, 3 and 4 were high quality.

Missed game today and neighbours told me score before I watched recording of it so didn't bother. From what l have read we were forced to play Irvine on left and whyte at right back. Midfield absent again and an array of other team changes. Archibald complained last week about injuries and being forced to rotate players in this cup format instead of more traditional pre season preparation. I feel we are caught somewhere in between as well with a lot of new players not really gelling plus key players injured. Massively disappointed with performances but holding fire on judgement. Are we good enough to challenge for playoffs? Let's wait and see once a more settled teAm has played three or four league games. Would like to see a starting eleven next week on lines for Falkirk match.

Painful.

Started with a 4-1-4-1 formation. However McShane and Kirkpatrick did not know if they were supporting the single forward or helping the midfield so decided to just hang about and see what was happening. McGinn was totally overrun in midfield as he had zero support. Poor Whyte was torn to bits but considering we do not have another full-back there wasn't too much we could have done about that before the game started and his confidence would have been shot if he was taken off in the first half. Change of formation and personnel did little to change things in the second half but by that time we were 4-0 down and the heads were even further down.

A couple of particular disappointments today -

First:  players looking for a place in the team did not seem to realise this was their big chance - Kirkpatrick looked very uninterested and I doubt he broke sweat. McShane was shocking as well but improved marginally in the second half. and

Second: players that we know that are good did not perform for some reason - Morgan and Smith in particular - why is that happening?

Although not a great game McGinn was the only one with dig and looking like he gave a damn. Too many seemed to have a poor mental attitude to today's game.

I console myself that we should have Eckersley and Davis playing when the League gets under way. Magennis should be back and I believe at least one new striker is being talked to at the moment. But the rest do need an attitude upgrade asap.

40 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Painful.

Started with a 4-1-4-1 formation. However McShane and Kirkpatrick did not know if they were supporting the single forward or helping the midfield so decided to just hang about and see what was happening. McGinn was totally overrun in midfield as he had zero support. Poor Whyte was torn to bits but considering we do not have another full-back there wasn't too much we could have done about that before the game started and his confidence would have been shot if he was taken off in the first half. Change of formation and personnel did little to change things in the second half but by that time we were 4-0 down and the heads were even further down.

A couple of particular disappointments today -

First:  players looking for a place in the team did not seem to realise this was their big chance - Kirkpatrick looked very uninterested and I doubt he broke sweat. McShane was shocking as well but improved marginally in the second half. and

Second: players that we know that are good did not perform for some reason - Morgan and Smith in particular - why is that happening?

Although not a great game McGinn was the only one with dig and looking like he gave a damn. Too many seemed to have a poor mental attitude to today's game.

I console myself that we should have Eckersley and Davis playing when the League gets under way. Magennis should be back and I believe at least one new striker is being talked to at the moment. But the rest do need an attitude upgrade asap.

Can you confirm Davis is signed  as I have read he is but nothing official? We really looked weak up front and in midfield.  I'm not Mr Agary just concerned as did Jack Ross on TV. This is not a challenging team for top four mid table at best. Maybe Jack was expecting the new players to be better than they are. However I still think Jack is the man to take the team forward. Shoot me down if you want. 

Any further signings will need to be the very best we could realistically acquire. There is clearly no room for any more maybes.

Still far too early to judge the guys that have come in, but we definitely need a couple of first pick calibre players.

Edited by Drew

Can you confirm Davis is signed  as I have read he is but nothing official? We really looked weak up front and in midfield.  I'm not Mr Agary just concerned as did Jack Ross on TV. This is not a challenging team for top four mid table at best. Maybe Jack was expecting the new players to be better than they are. However I still think Jack is the man to take the team forward. Shoot me down if you want. 

I was told on Tuesday night IOBS that Davis was signing from a trusted source who would know. Today I was told by someone whom I do not know very well that it cannot happen until 1st August. So I cannot confirm but expect him to sign.

4 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I was told on Tuesday night IOBS that Davis was signing from a trusted source who would know. Today I was told by someone whom I do not know very well that it cannot happen until 1st August. So I cannot confirm but expect him to sign.

I spoke to someone who said he's not expected to be fit enough to train until September.

2 hours ago, elvis said:

Your another clown what the f**k is it Yous don't get are you happy watching utter shite year after year because it depresses the f**k out of me I just don't know how any sane person can be happy with this. 

Who said I'm happy?, But for you to say it's the worst side in 45 years is utterly ridiculous.

You've never got anything positive to say, you're the fecking clown as well as a troll, now feck off or PM me if you want to keep this discussion going.

Edited by Jimmy H

3 hours ago, shull said:

He seems upset about us losing like the rest of us.

What makes you think he's happy ?

He's a realist

Realist me erse, as I said in my previous post, he's never got anything positive to say about us.

I do actually think he's happy we got pumped, his post history will suggest this.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy H said:

Realist me erse, as I said in my previous post, he's never got anything positive to say about us.

I do actually think he's happy we got pumped, his post history will suggest this.

During our run towards safety last season , I can't remember one game he thought we'd win.

On way back to NB. Not a good day on the park but a decent day out. Have been drinking with Thistle, Rangers and even Morton fans who all took great delight in our defeat. In JR I still trust but ffs that was shite today. Come on Jack get that team sorted for the Falkirk game. Midfield was pish. Forwards too wee and maybe I'm too drunk but ffs 5-0 not good

20 minutes ago, Jimmy H said:

You are a f**king. Idiot if you think I am happy watching that utter shite season after season. 

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Aye could be the case. There seems to be some system in place down south that if a player is released and doesn't find a new club by a certain date they get more money from their old club. Although I'm sure it was Robbie Savage who said that so it's probably pish.

Disappointing on so many levels today. Players I expect to stand up didn't. They go to 10 men and witness one of the worst free kick routines possible.

a day for reflection. Not quite Andy Dow, Bobby Law, et al days...but we need to hit the league running.

eta: disappointed with the lack of in game intelligence.

Edited by aldo_j

2 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Disappointing on so many levels today. Players I expect to stand up didn't. They go to 10 men and witness one of the worst free kick routines possible.

a day for reflection. Not quite Andy Dow, Bobby Law, et al days...but we need to hit the league running. 

Can anyone explain how JR can go from motivating the team so well in the second half of last season to apparently being unable to get the players up for the challenge now?

I've had great faith in Jack and James up till now and so many of the new signings commented that it was largely the manager's plans and enthusiasm that persuaded them to sign. However they don't seem able to produce the goods for him when they take the field. Surely they can't all be not up to the standard required for our league?

30 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

eta: disappointed with the lack of in game intelligence.

Hits the nail on the head for me decision making was appalling no creativity and nobody willing to take ball in and make passes. Thistle did it very well thought there fifth goal was excellent , dunno if that's down to them being really good or us being really pish or a bit of both.