Partick V St Mirren 22/7/17

On reflection of yesterday's game I think Reilly is getting quite a lot of excessive criticism that's undeserved. He was left isolated yesterday, I could see that, the BT commentary team could see that, yet some on here seem to be willing to hammer the lad just because it isn't Loy that's playing upfront.

I don't get to see many games so perhaps he's been poor in others, but as some posters have pointed out, I think a lot of these cup games have had to be treated with an element of "pre-season games" due to the number of injuries we've had.

That of course does not excuse the lack of desire from yesterday and I think Ross addressed that in his interview and it is down to him to rectify.

Also thought young Whyte came onto a game second half (albeit already humped) and I thought big Ross Stewart did well when he came on. Don't think the other Ross Stewart could really be blamed for any of the goals.

Post of the day. Spot on

Highlight was when Jags fans were singing "we want 6" and our lot sang "we want 1". Gallows humour, made me smile

On 22/07/2017 at 4:49 PM, TopCat said:

FT 5-0

Utter disgrace of a performance. I thought Tuesday was bad, remarkably this was worse. If that wasn't the worst St Mirren performance I've ever seen it was certainly up there.

The squad is a mess. Those players we do have are disorganised and poorly motivated. The players who've arrived this summer are clearly a significant downgrade on what we had last season.

This is the managers fault.

Major surgery urgently required.

Let's hope we've reached Peak TopCat.

Enjoy it while you can, as I've a feeling a decent season is still on the cards.

I'd loved to have progressed in the League Cup, but I'm not ready to give up on the League two weeks before it starts; and I'm sure nobody at Saints is either.

Yes we were poor yesterday and we all know it.The shape of the team was wrong and for that Jack has to take the blame.Obviously the team selection was very restricted due to suspension and injuries and no doubt messrs Stelios Eckersly Buchanan Magennis and Samson will be first picks. I felt yesterday having two full backs out of position was wrong Whyte has not played right back and Irvine is a natural right back but struggles on the left.Playing 4-5-1 means the midfielders have to support Reilly and this didn't happen. I have always liked Reilly ever since I saw him at Palmerston in a pre season friendly a few years ago when Danny was boss and was quite excited when we signed him and I am certain he will prove his worth..Finally why we should expect to go to Firhill and expect to win against a side who finished top six in the Premier whilst we struggled to avoid the drop to League 1 defies logic.We just have to accept that we are on a rebuilding process and this will take time.Yes Jack and the players must take the blame for a lack lustre showing but in the long run I think we will be good enough to at least finish in the top five in the league this season and that will be an improvement.

Looking at Morgan yesterday is a worry,he never took any chances with getting an injury.
I fear at the end of August he may be gone.
I've not got a problem as I love to see young players getting a chance of they deserve it ,as long as some funds are given to Jack

Morgan leaving toward the end of the the window does not bear thinking about. His pace is one of the few weapons we have at present.

14 hours ago, Eaglesham saint said:

Looking at Morgan yesterday is a worry,he never took any chances with getting an injury.

I fear at the end of August he may be gone.

I've not got a problem as I love to see young players getting a chance of they deserve it ,as long as some funds are given to Jack

Could've said the same for the entire team - no commitment to tackles, no intensity, played like a meaningless friendly. Jack has to sort that out first and foremost.

Can't see Morgan going anywhere, although if a big bid comes in, who knows?

20 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Agree that Reilly was left isolated. However, he snatched at one real good chance, and a couple of times turned back on himself when in a good position.

needs to be more clinical. Like, well, Rory Loy...

Far easier for him if he has players supporting either side, gives him options and gives the opposition defence more to think about other than just focusing on the one striker. Morgan, Kirkpatrick and Smith didn't support him well enough, meaning we had no attacking threat. Much of that was down to Thistle dominating possession, with us sitting off and letting them pass around us.

On 7/23/2017 at 1:10 AM, Doakes said:

Having grudgingly watched the game back on BT, (skipped some parts)

We were VERY poor at the back. Changing the keeper and centre half from last week seemed to have a confusing impact on the defence, they didn't know how to work together. Baird was caught out of position a lot, attempting to cover for full backs who had drifted or ball watched. As mentioned, Whyte looked very weak, Gary Irvine cannot play left** back, really evident that it's not his natural side. Gary Mac held his position better than Baird, but still guilty of a few errors. In fairness, Partick's attacking movement was good.

Changing the keeper, centre half, and having a rookie right back in the team while switching Irvine to the left meant we had no continuity at all in defence. Baird suffered from being drawn to cover Whyte when he was exposed after pushing too far forward. Simple one-twos got them in behind the full back time and time again, with Baird then being similarly bypassed. Felt sorry for Whyte, but not sure what choice we had with the injuries and suspensions. Had we played the inexperienced Whyte on his bad side, he wouldn't have done any better imo. Could possibly have gone three at the back, but we were left struggling at full back.

As for the midfield... where to start? McGinn pick of the bunch, but don't see McShane as the right guy to play with him, they're too similar. Really missing Magennis. I've never seen Morgan have a good game on the right wing, much better on the left. Cammy didn't do a lot today. 

Reilly seems to be content with chasing lost causes. When he's in a good position, he seems to want to cut back a lot. Perhaps needs someone to link up with? Ross Stewart (striker) isn't good enough for our level. Fitzpatrick also looks out of his depth. 

Thought McGinn had another poor game by his standards. Love the guy as a player but have to say it as I see it - was no better than McShane really. Totally agree that Magennis is a huge miss. Morgan, Smith and Kirkpatrick did very little in an attacking sense, and weren't much use defending either.

Reilly got no support from any of the three behind him, meaning he was always on his own any time he got the ball. If he'd had support from Morgan or Smith, it would have made his job a little easier, and the Thistle defence's job a bit harder.

As someone else said, we had an unbalanced team under Rae. We fixed the balance in January - now unbalanced again. Haven't replaced Mallan - we need a good centre mid pronto. Could really use a genuine right winger, and I would be starting Sutton instead of Reilly. To be brutally honest, I don't think Reilly could lace Rory Loy's boots. 

I don't know whether Jack is still trying things out, looking for the right blend, but he needs to start putting out the strongest and most experienced team he has before we really start to hit a slump. I think we'll find it impossible to replace Mallan as a player, but McShane can provide some creativity in a deeper position. Need more from Morgan and Smith in more advanced areas, both very poor on Saturday. Also think Reilly will do better when he has some support, rather than being left isolated. Agree with putting Sutton on in his place though, as he has the physical presence and experience to lead the line on his own, have Reilly coming on later on to exploit tiring defences to boost his confidence a little, gradually.

Time for Jack to earn his stripes once again, although I'm still right behind him and am sure he'll turn this around quickly.

Edited by Soctty

4 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Changing the keeper, centre half, and having a rookie right back in the team while switching Irvine to the left meant we had no continuity at all in defence. Baird suffered from being drawn to cover Whyte when he was exposed after pushing too far forward. Simple one-twos got them in behind the full back time and time again, with Baird then being similarly bypassed. Felt sorry for Whyte, but not sure what choice we had with the injuries and suspensions. Had we played the inexperienced Whyte on his bad side, he wouldn't have done any better imo. Could possibly have gone three at the back, but we were left struggling at full back.

Thought McGinn had another poor game by his standards. Love the guy as a player but have to say it as I see it - was no better than McShane really. Totally agree that Magennis is a huge miss. Morgan, Smith and Kirkpatrick did very little in an attacking sense, and weren't much use defending either.

Reilly got no support from any of the three behind him, meaning he was always on his own any time he got the ball. If he'd had support from Morgan or Smith, it would have made his job a little easier, and the Thistle defence's job a bit harder.

I don't whether Jack is still trying things out, looking for the right blend, but he needs to start putting out the strongest and most experienced team he has before we really start to hit a slump. I think we'll find it impossible to replace Mallan as a player, but McShane can provide some creativity in a deeper position. Need more from Morgan and Smith in more advanced areas, both very poor on Saturday. Also think Reilly will do better when he has some support, rather than being left isolated. Agree with putting Sutton on in his place though, as he has the physical presence and experience to lead the line on his own, have Reilly coming on later on to exploit tiring defences to boost his confidence a little, gradually.

Time for Jack to earn his stripes once again, although I'm still right behind him and am sure he'll turn this around quickly.

Stephen McGinn agrees with much of what you say.

"THE away dressing room at Firhill on Saturday was not a pleasant place to be.

St Mirren had just lost 5-0 to Partick Thistle – they were lucky to get nil – having been outplayed in every aspect it is possible to be in a football match.

Sure, Thistle are in the league above and therefore it stands to reason they will have better players. However, the gap should not be this gargantuan. This was as one-sided a game as you will ever see.

The home side played well in fairness and we shall get to Alan Archibald’s men in a moment but given what St Mirren captain Stephen McGinn had to say after the game, and how he said it, his passionate words must be given priority.

“It was one of the worst days of my career,” he said. “It was really, really tough. It was far too easy for Thistle. It was men against boys at times. We have asked questions of each other in the dressing room. That's not acceptable, it will never be acceptable.

“I think that's been coming. We haven't been good enough in pre-season and in the cup games. To be fair to Thistle they really punished us.

"We are missing a few key players. We've not lost that many from last year but we can't afford to have injuries to our best players.

"The basics of winning tackles, matching runs and winning headers...we were a million miles away from it.

“I've played with better players at this club who haven't done well. Some of the boys here better get a fright or they won't be here long."

McGinn gets full marks for honesty at least. St Mirren should be challenging for a play-off place this season. On the evidence of the summer, they will do well to stay up and that’s no exaggeration.

Jack Ross is a good manager and the job he did last time out was incredible. But there is something deeply wrong at the moment which quickly needs to be fixed.

“It could have been more,” admitted McGinn. “I apologise to the St Mirren fans who came. Some of them clapped us at the end, I don't know how, but fair play to the ones that stayed and did that.

"If we play like that, we will definitely be in another relegation battle like last season and the season before. It can't happen again. There are good teams who will beat you if you are not at it."

And Partick Thistle just so happen to be a good team."

3 minutes ago, smcc said:

Stephen McGinn agrees with much of what you say.

"THE away dressing room at Firhill on Saturday was not a pleasant place to be.

St Mirren had just lost 5-0 to Partick Thistle – they were lucky to get nil – having been outplayed in every aspect it is possible to be in a football match.

Sure, Thistle are in the league above and therefore it stands to reason they will have better players. However, the gap should not be this gargantuan. This was as one-sided a game as you will ever see.

The home side played well in fairness and we shall get to Alan Archibald’s men in a moment but given what St Mirren captain Stephen McGinn had to say after the game, and how he said it, his passionate words must be given priority.

“It was one of the worst days of my career,” he said. “It was really, really tough. It was far too easy for Thistle. It was men against boys at times. We have asked questions of each other in the dressing room. That's not acceptable, it will never be acceptable.

“I think that's been coming. We haven't been good enough in pre-season and in the cup games. To be fair to Thistle they really punished us.

"We are missing a few key players. We've not lost that many from last year but we can't afford to have injuries to our best players.

"The basics of winning tackles, matching runs and winning headers...we were a million miles away from it.

“I've played with better players at this club who haven't done well. Some of the boys here better get a fright or they won't be here long."

McGinn gets full marks for honesty at least. St Mirren should be challenging for a play-off place this season. On the evidence of the summer, they will do well to stay up and that’s no exaggeration.

Jack Ross is a good manager and the job he did last time out was incredible. But there is something deeply wrong at the moment which quickly needs to be fixed.

“It could have been more,” admitted McGinn. “I apologise to the St Mirren fans who came. Some of them clapped us at the end, I don't know how, but fair play to the ones that stayed and did that.

"If we play like that, we will definitely be in another relegation battle like last season and the season before. It can't happen again. There are good teams who will beat you if you are not at it."

And Partick Thistle just so happen to be a good team."

Can be certain that McGinn won't sit back and let his teammates hide. Asking questions in the dressing room is exactly what should be happening. Getting angry, making it clear that it's not acceptable. I expect a huge difference in attitude and application on Saturday, with any players that aren't able to provide it being dropped for players that are.

Just checking that the Rory Loy who fans keep comparing Gavin Reilly with is the same Rory Loy we had in on loan last season and who was frequently described by some fans as lazy, disinterested and scared to put in a tackle or challenge for headers? I thought that Rory Loy did pretty well for us but I did also think that Jack Ross did well enough in the January window at finding enough good players to improve the squad that if Loy didn't sign for us this season I'd be relatively hopeful that he could sign someone equally as good or better than Loy in the summer window.

On 7/22/2017 at 4:59 PM, Edinbuddie said:

Absolutely woeful performance. Last season we went to Hamilton and played with 2 attacking wide men and were passed through and round all over the park. Today was exactly the same. These teams are in the top league because they're better than us, so we can't go and expect to play in an open manner.

Piss poor all round and very worryingly like the start of last season.

On a final point, Jordan Kirkpatrick is this season's Scott Agnew. I was surprised when we signed him and I've not been surprised by his performances.

I was in Salou on Sat and a pub advertised the game

In i went to the said pub and the Liverpool game was on all the screens

Approaching kick off and a pub with a few scousers in it there looked little hope of the game showing

In walked a group of 10 and up to bar asking that the St Mirren game be shown

Turned out Jordan Kirkpatrick family

I almost got flung out the pub for shouting at the telly especially at our defence

With a few Thistle fans saying we were like a pub team and couldn't argue with them

In a space of a couple seasons we have became Thistle bitches

Sad times

All supporters are fans.

Not all fans are supporters.

As past glory days suggest , St mirren indeed have lots of fans, less though are 'supporters' of the club in the pedantic sense.

That said any decent momentum this team promises to build and watch, they will come, the public, the supporters, the fandans, real fans and they will sit amongst the uber fans. Who cares what they are called, they pay, they support, whatever, wherever.

St mirren minded folk are everywhere, just connect with them please with the team playing honest high pressing decent football on more occasions than not.

Maybe even goals [emoji38]

20 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Just checking that the Rory Loy who fans keep comparing Gavin Reilly with is the same Rory Loy we had in on loan last season and who was frequently described by some fans as lazy, disinterested and scared to put in a tackle or challenge for headers? I thought that Rory Loy did pretty well for us but I did also think that Jack Ross did well enough in the January window at finding enough good players to improve the squad that if Loy didn't sign for us this season I'd be relatively hopeful that he could sign someone equally as good or better than Loy in the summer window.

Thanks for taking the words out of my mouth. I've held back as I accept I don't get to see as many games as some on here, but I really do question whether Loy is as good as folk are making out. Yes he scored a few pretty important goals at the end of the season when we really needed them, but for the most part he was far from convincing and had plenty of terrible games.

I guess we'll get our first taste of how good he is/isn't on day one of the season.

On 23/07/2017 at 9:20 AM, RickMcD said:

Well, you should know what a dick is OK. Look in the mirror. I've been a St.Mirren fan for more than 60 years and there have  always been more bad days than good. It goes with the territory. You clearly can't take the heat so why don't you do most of us a favour and get the hell out of the kitchen. Your non-stop vituperation is tedious to the bulk of guys in the forum. Did your granny never tell you that if you don't have anything nice to say, then you should shut the f**k up?

If it's any consolation to you, the original Elvis was off his head too. But at least he was a pretty good chanter.

vituperation :lol::lol: elvis is thick as shit, he is still struggling with the concept of how to use the word you, he

uses yous frequently, dopey cunt can't help himself :lol:

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Cracking thread..............................:rolleyes:

Reading through from the day of the game it's startlingly similar to another thread on here. 

This was a competitive game, unlike yesterdays friendly.

Enjoy. 

What was the score ? 

I don’t like frendlies. Players don’t treat them the same way as a competitive game and whether that’s right or acceptable is another matter. I do remember the last time we played a team from that part of the woods we went on to have an awful season. I hope that’s not an omen and I hope that in the next few weeks some new players are brought in and the fitness levels continue to improve. I’m not a big fan of the league cup format but what it does do is provide the players with competitive games and hopefully more of an edge to their play. I hope those in charge at the club are calm after yesterday’s disaster and work hard in the coming fortnight to cut out the mistakes.