Harry

1 minute ago, Dan Is The Man said:

Happy to see Harry come back. Assuming he stays injury free, he'll be a good signing.

Problem we still have is nothing to do with our centre halves and everything to do with our brand of attacking football, It leaves us open when we commit so many bodies forward. We don't play a defensive midfielder, we play two playmakers. That's the issue. Maybe a shift to 4-3-3 rather than 4-2-3-1 might tighten us up in midfield a bit.

What was it Tom Hendry used to say create 30 chances you will score as long as you score more than the opposition this from a maths teacher :) I'm all for attacking formation it's just so much more enjoyable to watch. 

We need an experienced forward who knows how to effectively link up with the midfield. This is what Loy brought after he gained full match fitness.

Our forward line lacked coherence on Tuesday.  While that might develop in time, I don't think we can afford to gamble on it happening with the players we have currently. Ideally, we can bring in someone who already has this attribute in his game. Big ask, perhaps, but an absolute priority I would argue.

4 hours ago, Soctty said:

He may have, but would be down to the finance director to set the financial details. Probably more input from the club doctor on the injury ramification and effect on a deal. I'm sure the doctor would have been involved in the discussions yesterday with Harry, Jack and the chairman...

The manager MAYhave an input into the signing of a player?  The player won't be getting signed if the manager doesn't think he is worth the money involved.

Seems more like he has the casting vote

17 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

The manager MAYhave an input into the signing of a player?  The player won't be getting signed if the manager doesn't think he is worth the money involved.

Seems more like he has the casting vote

I think you might have lost the thread of the conversation.

To sum up, I don't think Jack draws up the contract, or decides how much the club can pay the player, or dictates which clauses are in the contract - these happen by negotiation between the two parties, are ratified by the finance director (and the board) and are drawn up by the lawyer.

Edited by Soctty

Just now, santaponsasaint said:

I think if Harry Davis comes in you might see Jack Baird go out on loan.

You think? He's only got a year's contract, so that would seem a bit rash and wouldn't make sense to me personally, especially given Harry's current injury, Gary Mack's injuries last season, and with Buchanan not looking too solid so far. Might just be me, but I'd rather see Jack in the team right now, until Harry is fit and signed, and unti Buchanan settles into the club.

2 minutes ago, Markyboy72 said:

I think Baird is very unlucky not to be in the team - one of our most improved players second half of last season

Aye, seems a bit harsh to be favouring Buchanan just now.

12 minutes ago, Markyboy72 said:

I think Baird is very unlucky not to be in the team - one of our most improved players second half of last season

I agree.

I've yet to see anything from Buchanan that makes me think he's even as good as Baird.

Keep the four of them if we can afford to. We need them all.

GMac has to be our first choice for me (while Harry is injured) but he can't be trusted to be fit and available every week. Harry is out injured for another month and will require a bit extra work, I'd imagine, without having a pre-season. 

Not sure where JR intends playing Whyte. I know he's comfortable at centre half and central midfield, but we've also seen him at right back in pre season..

Edited by RossCSmfc

If we were trying to sign any other player who was injured, hadn't played since March and who had no club, there would be an absolute meltdown going on here.

Not sure why this is different. There must be 100s of equally adequate, fit, centre halves that could be signed instead if needed.

If we were trying to sign any other player who was injured, hadn't played since March and who had no club, there would be an absolute meltdown going on here.
Not sure why this is different. There must be 100s of equally adequate, fit, centre halves that could be signed instead if needed.

Because it's quite clear if Harry Davis stays fit he would be one of the best defenders in the league

Gregor Buchanan fits the bill you mention above, as does Baird. I would be willing to take a chance on Davis knowing the quality he will bring when fit.