Harry

Harry's clearly been hawking himself about down south all summer. And he's got no realistic offers.

The issue isn't how good he is. He's clearly good enough to play at League 1/League 2 level down there, and those teams can pay far more than we can.

The issue is his fitness. No teams think he's worth the gamble due to his injury problems. So now he's back up the road to us looking for a contract.

I'd be reluctant to give him one if he can't pass a medical. No point signing him now if he isn't going to be match fit till October/November time.

He's a good player but he's no use to us sitting in the stands. I'd rather we got someone in who will be available to start the Falkirk game.

55 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Harry's clearly been hawking himself about down south all summer. And he's got no realistic offers.

The issue isn't how good he is. He's clearly good enough to play at League 1/League 2 level down there, and those teams can pay far more than we can.

The issue is his fitness. No teams think he's worth the gamble due to his injury problems. So now he's back up the road to us looking for a contract.

I'd be reluctant to give him one if he can't pass a medical. No point signing him now if he isn't going to be match fit till October/November time.

He's a good player but he's no use to us sitting in the stands. I'd rather we got someone in who will be available to start the Falkirk game.

I would offer him rehab and training facilities, and when he can prove match fitness give him a contract and wages backdated till the time he started rehab/training, with a break clause if his injury re-occurs before seson end.

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

I can't see how he could get a contract if he fails the medical, it would leave the club and the player in a very vulnerable position.

I thought Harry looked a cut above when he played for us last season.

However, this injury situation is very worrying. If we are going to sign in him in some form, it must be 'pay as you play' or something similar until fitness is proved.

It's without doubt that if he was fit and established then he wouldn't be within our financial reach, so the fact that no-one else is willing to take a punt should serve as a warning. BTW - has he actually been signed?

In his absence, It'll be interesting to see how Gregor Buchanan does today - Jack Baird will be waiting to pounce if he has another game like Tuesday night.

On 21/07/2017 at 11:03 AM, TopCat said:

1 hour ago, southsidebud said:

I thought Harry looked a cut above when he played for us last season.

However, this injury situation is very worrying. If we are going to sign in him in some form, it must be 'pay as you play' or something similar until fitness is proved.

It's without doubt that if he was fit and established then he wouldn't be within our financial reach, so the fact that no-one else is willing to take a punt should serve as a warning. BTW - has he actually been signed?

In his absence, It'll be interesting to see how Gregor Buchanan does today - Jack Baird will be waiting to pounce if he has another game like Tuesday night.

I'm not sure why two bad but unrelated injuries in two years would leave a guy with anything to prove in terms of fitness. If it was a recurring issue in the same knee, I'd perhaps understand but none of the injuries have been at all related.

Darren McGregor mangled the cruciate and medial ligaments in each of his knees in consecutive seasons for us in two unrelated incidents and yet nobody seemed to be anything other than happy when he signed on for his final season, despite missing two full years. He played about 35 games in his final season without recurrence and everyone was gutted when he left and went to Rangers. I can't remember many holding two significantly more serious injuries than Davis has had over Darren's head and feeling relieved he hadn't signed on again and he's thankfully gone on to continue his career with no further recurrences in the past four years. 

So why is Davis any different? Yes, it's not an ideal set of circumstances to sign a guy who is coming off a rather nasty injury but let's be honest, would you rather have a guy like Davis who is quite clearly above our level under normal circumstance and sacrifice a month or two or go for an absolute jobber? I am more than happy to see us lining up with MacKenzie and Baird for the Falkirk match.

It also may not occur to many but perhaps the reason this deal has taken a long time to conclude is BECAUSE the club have actually performed their due diligence and sought further medical opinion on Harry's prognosis. Perhaps the reason that it is taking a while is BECAUSE the medical is absolutely thorough, stringent and ensuring that whilst not risk-free (what player truly is?) but the risk to the club is minimised as much as possible.

Unfortunately though, some on here are simply unwilling to give St. Mirren the benefit of any sort of professionalism and simply know better than the people who run the club...